Wire crimps

tree monkey

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Ray T said:

These are used in the Low voltage looms of railway carriages and sections. It takes a bit of knack to use them, but no worse than you might expect, when trying to melt solder through a plastic sheath. 500 c (heat gun), or there abouts. 

Never saw them used to join cable, but mostly to add a drain wire on a screened cable. Joining wire was not generally acceptable. Short cable was completely stripped out and replaced.

Edited by Higgs

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Oooh, remember those expanding rubber sleeves and the three-pronged tool for expanding them?  I lent mine out once, never to be seen again. 

The pink/black rubber sleeves were neoprene and often lubricated with "Hellerman Oil" after 30 years or so the combination of oil and sleeve become slightly conductive, leading to all sorts of interesting behaviour in complex kit (Think tightly packed connectors, military style). The nuclear industry spent millions fixing this.

21 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

The pink/black rubber sleeves were neoprene and often lubricated with "Hellerman Oil" after 30 years or so the combination of oil and sleeve become slightly conductive, leading to all sorts of interesting behaviour in complex kit (Think tightly packed connectors, military style). The nuclear industry spent millions fixing this.

If used on a light coloured cable it would also discolour it; the discolouration slowly migrating along the insulation. 

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Oooh, remember those expanding rubber sleeves and the three-pronged tool for expanding them?  I lent mine out once, never to be seen again. 

Virgin urgers  was our name for them

Edited by Loddon

On 29/07/2020 at 18:41, tree monkey said:

Thanks,  but I've got one of them, it's the doobrie thingies that you crimp with the crimper I was wondering about 

Cable lugs or crimp terminals are what you want.

• Greenie 1

On 29/07/2020 at 19:16, BEngo said:

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-54-kits/c-183-terminal-kits/c-133-pre-insulated-terminal-kits/p-1131-heatseal-terminal-kit

That should do what you want, and they sell replacement crimps in small quantities when you run out of the popular ones (blue 6.3 mm female first, usually).  As before check these crimps are right for your tool.(ooh matron!)

N

Sorry to be obtuse but do you crimp the metal with a proper tool and then use the heat gun to seal it?

21 minutes ago, Theo said:

Sorry to be obtuse but do you crimp the metal with a proper tool and then use the heat gun to seal it?

That is the idea.

If you were really,  really careful I can see no reason why it could not be done the other way round, but cannot see any advantage to doing it that way.

N

1 hour ago, Theo said:

Yes, sadly the heat shrink sleeve capable of firmly crushing a lug onto a cable has yet to be invented. ??

Middle of (my) Aldi last night - a cable crimper kit. Crimper plus a moderate supply of a few varieties of connecter. Mainly red kit in a shrink wrap transparent box. Six or seven quid-ish. Not sure if it was a 'pliers' or a ratchet crimper - tightly packaged.

7 minutes ago, Opener said:

Middle of (my) Aldi last night - a cable crimper kit. Crimper plus a moderate supply of a few varieties of connecter. Mainly red kit in a shrink wrap transparent box. Six or seven quid-ish. Not sure if it was a 'pliers' or a ratchet crimper - tightly packaged.

Red and blue fittings, non-ratchet crimp but it's a wire stripper too, £7.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-crimping-tool-set/p/800024379304300

43 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Red and blue fittings, non-ratchet crimp but it's a wire stripper too, £7.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-crimping-tool-set/p/800024379304300

And the first time you try to crimp anything the pliers will either bend or break. Even if they don’t you won’t have a successful crimp. If that was the only crimper available to me I’d solder the lugs on instead. 

Just now, WotEver said:

And the first time you try to crimp anything the pliers will either bend or break. Even if they don’t you won’t have a successful crimp. If that was the only crimper available to me I’d solder the lugs on instead. 

Two hammers, or carefully with the sideband cutters ...

I don't have one of them, I just provided the link!