Wire crimps

tree monkey

Featured Posts

Any advice on choice of wire crimps, just for the standard boat wiring, not battery crimps.

I've got a reasonably decent set of crimpers, it's just what would be considered decent crimps.

It's not urgent just a general enquiry,  thank you in advance 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Hi the ratchet type  crimping tools are good but not that cheap to buy  some thing like draper tools make

Graham

Thanks,  but I've got one of them, it's the doobrie thingies that you crimp with the crimper I was wondering about 

First make sure your crimping tool matches the crimps! There are tools for bullets, tools for uninsulated, toolsfor pre insulated, tools for MC4 and they are all different.

If you are using the common small mole grip type, with red, blue, and yellow dies (holes) for various cable sizes then I have found Vehicle Wiring Products do a decent quality range of the pre insulated crimps in the various sizes, including rings.

Loads more on Amazon and Ebay.

If you are feeling flush there are heat sealable pre insulated ones, which should be better in damp environments. Ray T has beaten  me to it.

Then there are the aircraft types....

N

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Thanks,  but I've got one of them, it's the doobrie thingies that you crimp with the crimper I was wondering about 

Try Vehicle Rewiring. easily found on line. I've used them many times over the years and built up a fair stock of terminals. They're one of those things that get much cheaper per unit when bought in larger quantities

Having read your posts again I see that you are looking for a 'selection box'. The trouble with those is that the popular sizes get used up very quickly

Edited by Slim

7 minutes ago, pearley said:

As has been said, the heat shrinkable, adhesive lined crimps are the ones to use.

Provided they're available in the style you want. 

Just looked at Vehicle Rewiring site. There are a lot more styles available than when I last looked

Edited by Slim

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Basically I'm looking for recomendations for a half decent set to carry on the boat for routine small jobs, nothing fancy just not cheap rubbish that will fail as soon as you look at it

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-54-kits/c-183-terminal-kits/c-133-pre-insulated-terminal-kits/p-1131-heatseal-terminal-kit

That should do what you want, and they sell replacement crimps in small quantities when you run out of the popular ones (blue 6.3 mm female first, usually).  As before check these crimps are right for your tool.(ooh matron!)

N

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, BEngo said:

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-54-kits/c-183-terminal-kits/c-133-pre-insulated-terminal-kits/p-1131-heatseal-terminal-kit

That should do what you want, and they sell replacement crimps in small quantities when you run out of the popular ones (blue 6.3 mm female first, usually).  As before check these crimps are right for your tool.(ooh matron!)

N

Thank you

24 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Can I ask why this type of connectors are not allowed  we are talking about 12v wires 

graham

Apologies Graham, I misunderstood your typo "crisp and shrink" to be referring to the solder and heat shrink ones mentioned a few posts before yours.

Yes, crimp and heat shrink are good to use.  I'm pretty sure ISO 10133:2012 frowns on soldered connections - that you weren't talking about! - but don't have a copy to hand.

@Alan de Enfield might have it though.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Apologies Graham, I misunderstood your typo "crisp and shrink" to be referring to the solder and heat shrink ones mentioned a few posts before yours.

Yes, crimp and heat shrink are good to use.  I'm pretty sure ISO 10133:2012 frowns on soldered connections - that you weren't talking about! - but don't have a copy to hand.

@Alan de Enfield might have it though.

Yes, 'solderless' and must be tested to specified 'pull-off ' figures

Extract (10.7)

Screenshot (294).png

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Not crimps but these have recently come on the market.

These are total rubbish, as evidenced by the video. Mind you, I don’t have much faith in a reviewer who states that he’d trust a dry solder joint over a mechanical crimp. 

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

These are total rubbish, as evidenced by the video. Mind you, I don’t have much faith in a reviewer who states that he’d trust a dry solder joint over a mechanical crimp. 

Hellerman Deutsch ( I think, could have been AMP)  made a pre insulated heat sealed crimp way back when I was just learning about wire locking.  Nowt wrong with the principle, but I entirely agree with the last sentence.

N

51 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Hellerman Deutsch...

Oooh, remember those expanding rubber sleeves and the three-pronged tool for expanding them?  I lent mine out once, never to be seen again. 

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Oooh, remember those expanding rubber sleeves and the three-pronged tool for expanding them?  I lent mine out once, never to be seen again. 

That was Hellermann Electric (Plymouth), Hellermann Deutsch made connectors and Hellermann Insuloid (Manchester) made cable ties, clips and fixings.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That was Hellermann Electric (Plymouth), Hellermann Deutsch made connectors and Hellermann Insuloid (Manchester) made cable ties, clips and fixings.

I had a job for a short while in the early 70’s with one of the Hellermans in Crawley where we worked on HT (EHT?) transmission insulators. 

57 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Three pronged tool AKA "virgin stretchers"?  Lived in the tool box next to a sixpenny Woolworth. (Small screwdriver).

N