Thinking of buying canal boat for living

nevin031

Featured Posts

Welcome, Gary.

In principle yes, but there are rules to be observed. You can't just moor anywhere for as long as you like. You'll get fined if you do. But you can pay for a mooring, either beside the towpath or in a marina.

Depends where you work.

If there are local moorings available then yes but if you are thinking of just mooring up on the towpath then you will find yourself struggling to adhere to the rules on moving.

Edited by Rob-M

1 minute ago, garynevin@hotmail.co.uk said:

what im seeing and finding online is mooring 2 days to 2 weeks. then i need to move it. 

Yes there are restrictions to how long you can stop if you don't have a permanent mooring. And then guidelines on how far you need to move to satisfy the board you are continuously cruising.

3 minutes ago, garynevin@hotmail.co.uk said:

what im seeing and finding online is mooring 2 days to 2 weeks. then i need to move it. 

Hi Gary

Have a look through the licence conditions attached which spell out the alternatives. Don't forget that to get a licence you also will need insurance. As has already been mentioned ir may not be possible to moor near to your place of work. Please let us know more details of your thoughts and we may be able to help with suitable advice.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence

Howard

Just now, garynevin@hotmail.co.uk said:

towpath mooring is ok to live 24/7 on board. then move my boat to a location for drainage and refilling etc on weekends.

Yes, but you can't then move back to the same spot.

Where is work?  We'll then be able to suggest moorings you can stay on all the time if there are any nearby.

1 minute ago, garynevin@hotmail.co.uk said:

towpath mooring is ok to live 24/7 on board. then move my boat to a location for drainage and refilling etc on weekends.

In principle - yes- BUT you cannot return to where you were moored previously, you need to keep moving every 14 days, and you cannot go from A to B (empty your toilet) and then go back to A.

You must go A to B to C to D etc.

even if you paid foe the year you can not return to A after refilling. must be moored for the year without moving.

im currently working in africa justt trying to get as much information as possible i want to settle in warrington close to family and friends got a decent amount for a mortgage but dont really feel for the house style living. 

4 minutes ago, garynevin@hotmail.co.uk said:

even if you paid foe the year you can not return to A after refilling. must be moored for the year without moving.

No, not quite.

You can rent a mooring in a marina or in some places on the bank-side (cost £3000 - £15,000 per year depending on where you are in the country) you do not then need to move at all.

The alternative is to 'just moor up' on the canal bank side (not on an official mooring so no charge) where you must move every few days and 'keep going' - its a bit more complicated, but may help if you read the C&RT mooring & licence conditions.

If you explain where 'work' is you will have explained exactly what your options are in that area.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome, Gary.

In principle yes, but there are rules to be observed. You can't just moor anywhere for as long as you like. You'll get fined if you do. But you can pay for a mooring, either beside the towpath or in a marina.

Hi Athy

I suggest you change Gary's login name!

Gary, alter your forum name to NOT be your email address, otherwise you will be spammed to hell and back.

1 minute ago, dor said:

Hi Athy

I suggest you change Gary's login name!

I've reported Gary's first post to alert moderators.

7 minutes ago, garynevin@hotmail.co.uk said:

i want to settle in warrington close to family

The nearest canal to Warrington is the Bridgewater Canal, and on that one you must have a mooring.  It's not managed by CRT so most of what you have been reading about continuous cruising is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, nevin031 said:

thank you all for your in put look forward to hearing from bridgewater canal. 

Good luck with that. They are not particularly responsive.

Edited by pearley