Petition to apply pressure to CaRT

Midnight

Featured Posts

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/refer-canal-river-trust-to-govt-for-failures-to?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign&quote_id=quote2&title_id=title1&recruiter=12840375&shared=ok&loc=view-petition&fbclid=IwAR26epjIazzyte_pei2mlf4GfhXUtQFptc6dS7xjPptXcTcvnm0kUQOCm3Q#_=_

Apologies for copying this link from TB but being moored locked on the Calder Navigation with little chance of escaping for a decent holiday cruise and even less chance of getting back I am fed up to the back teeth of Parry & Co who seem to forget CaRT is supposed to be a navigation Authority.

Please sign if you are a p**sed off as I am.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/refer-canal-river-trust-to-govt-for-failures-to?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign&quote_id=quote2&title_id=title1&recruiter=12840375&shared=ok&loc=view-petition&fbclid=IwAR26epjIazzyte_pei2mlf4GfhXUtQFptc6dS7xjPptXcTcvnm0kUQOCm3Q#_=_

Apologies for copying this link from TB but being moored locked on the Calder Navigation with little chance of escaping for a decent holiday cruise and even less chance of getting back I am fed up to the back teeth of Parry & Co who seem to forget CaRT is supposed to be a navigation Authority.

Please sign if you are a p**sed off as I am.

Best give up boating then.

1 hour ago, Laurie Booth said:

Best give up boating then.

That is probably what Parry and cohorts would like us all to do then they could sell off the rest of the system, water, assets et al and run away with the money in a big end of charity cash distribution.

Even allowing for his dubious grammar, the opening poster (in the link) puts forward a questionable premiss: he seems to feel that CART's waterways are "in sharp decline". I wonder if many people would agree with him.-

It rather reminds me of a recent topic on here, in which some people reckoned that CWDF was in sharp decline, only for long-established members to counter "Actually, it's always been about the same".

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Even allowing for his dubious grammar, the opening poster (in the link) puts forward a questionable premiss: he seems to feel that CART's waterways are "in sharp decline". I wonder if many people would agree with him.-

It rather reminds me of a recent topic on here, in which some people reckoned that CWDF was in sharp decline, only for long-established members to counter "Actually, it's always been about the same".

But things ain't getting better are they Mike?

30 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But things ain't getting better are they Mike?

That may depend on what you're referring to.

If you mean CART, we haven't moved the boat much this year, but around our mooring it's spick and span, grass mown, new sanny station tap, refreshed bridge paintwork.

If you're referring to CWDF, I'm sure each person has their own opinion.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not sure about sharp decline all I know is where we moor i.e. Yorkshire, the routes over the Pennines have been closed regularly. This year because of the issues at Figure of Three locks the more reliable route is shut long term and we can't even get out over the Rochdale  (3 closures at least so far) and the Huddersfield, which is now a joke, being open and shut more times than your front door.  Even the Leeds & Liverpool is less reliable than it was. At least this petition (not mine btw) is an attempt to do something - doing nothing isn't my style is it yours?

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Can't see the point. The problem isn't CRT, it's the lack of government funding. And if anyone thinks there's a few billion quid going spare to fix up the canals they're barmy.  We're heading for a whacking great recession.  Being picky, it's always advisable, if you're trying to get posh people to read your petition, to get the grammar and the spelling right,cos, like it or not, thry won't pay you any attention otherwise.

Sorry Arthur didn't realise you were posh else I would have tried harder - PS there appears to be a speeling mistake in your post.

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Not sure about sharp decline all I know is where we moor i.e. Yorkshire, the routes over the Pennines have been closed regularly. This year because of the issues at Figure of Three locks the more reliable route is shut long term and we can't even get out over the Rochdale  (3 closures at least so far) and the Huddersfield, which is now a joke, being open and shut more times than your front door.  Even the Leeds & Liverpool is less reliable than it was. At least this petition (not mine btw) is an attempt to do something - doing nothing isn't my style is it yours?

Sorry Arthur didn't realise you were posh else I would have tried harder - PS there appears to be a speeling mistake in your post.

You can't really blame CRT for the weather and subsequent flooding :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Midnight said:

At least this petition (not mine btw) is an attempt to do something - doing nothing isn't my style is it yours?

Of course not: that's why I pay my licence and mooring fees punctually, thereby providing funds which can be used for the maintenance of the waterways.

I'm not familiar with the Yorkshire canals. Is the "Calder Navigation", where you moor, part of the Aire & Calder or the Calder & Hebble? What is its problem?

Edited by Athy

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Of course not: that's why I pay my licence and mooring fees punctually, thereby providing funds which can be used for the maintenance of the waterways.

I'm not familiar with the Yorkshire canals. Is the "Calder Navigation", where you moor, part of the Aire & Calder or the Calder & Hebble? What is its problem?

Is that where a whole lock got washed out in the floods?

I have not seen it, but has there been any attempt, especially by a trained historian, to re-create the statistics for the performance of the canals in their 'prime' days? My non-rigorous recollections are that there were similar events back in the supposed perfect past. In fact, at times they were so bad that the owners could get them closed down on the grounds of lack of usage! in my experience, roads, especially rural ones, are worse than in my youth. So?

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You can't really blame CRT for the weather and subsequent flooding :rolleyes:

True, but you can for the way the system is (isn't) managed. For instance, Mr Parry says it's too expensive to employ bank staff so we have this wait until it breaks system with the associated longer stoppages. I wonder how the recently quoted £10 million cost of the Todbrook repairs compares against keeping the reservoir manager on site in the house they allegedly sold off when they took over.  A stitch in time springs to mind, but the local CaRT chaps tell me they are no longer allowed to fix anything; and anyway the tools have all been sold off. A few years ago I watched as a paddle board was replaced, one of the CaRT lads was sent to a tool hire company to hire a saw - you can buy one in Screwfix for £7.99. Where we are there's a weir with 'sacrificial' wooden boards which maintain the level of the cut. Two ex BW lads I know used to re-position/replace the boards a few days after any flood damage. Now we wait, sat on the bottom for months and even years. I suspect many on this forum have similar examples. Of course if you are a cyclist, fishist, jogger, rambler or blue sign admirer no worries, but I once believed CaRT were a Navigation Authority.

• Greenie 2

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Locks are too bloody short.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If a single one has had any effect apart from soothing the ego of them wot wrote it, I'll be much surprised.

And if this one does work and the minister hauls CRT over the coals we might end up with Serco or Capita running the system instead!  The specific remedy for failure to perform is to sack all the trustees and senior management and appoint new ones of the minister's choice.

Be careful what you wish for ...

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, hughc said:

I suspect that if the level and severity of the stoppages now happening in the North West were happening on the southern G.U. and its associated waterways then even this complacent and blinkered forum might be moved to collective action. The system is not as it was during the eighties and nineties the level of unplanned stoppages is far worse and this can only be due to the poor decisions taken by successive managements. Under funding is partly to blame but an apparent lack of empathy with the history and culture of the cut by CaRT management becomes yearly more apparent. Regards, HughC.

What on earth should this blinkered and complacent forum do? I suspect quite a number go out on working parties, clearing what they can, doing maintenance as far as we're able. Some of us do it as we go along, too. Some volunteer with the despised CRT, keeping costs down, and get abused for it.

I'm not sure the forum can repair culverts and rehang gates though. 

It's money, I'm afraid, and it isn't there. If they can't even repair potholes in the roads used by millions, they aren't going to bother much about a few thousand boaters whinging at them.

Of course there are more stoppages. My back breaks down more often, too. We are older and falling to bits. We get more expensive to keep going, and the money is running out.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

And if this one does work and the minister hauls CRT over the coals we might end up with Serco or Capita running the system instead!  The specific remedy for failure to perform is to sack all the trustees and senior management and appoint new ones of the minister's choice.

Be careful what you wish for ...

Or, to appoint another charity with similar aims, but there is no possibility of appointing a commercial operation such as those you suggest.

Exercise of the Special Powers

30.4 The Special Powers are as follows:

30.4.1 the B Member may remove any or all of the Trustees of the Trust and may make such replacement appointments as the B Member considers fit by serving notice on the Trust in writing (“the Trustee Replacement Power”);

30.4.2 the B Member may remove any or all of the A Members and may make such replacement appointments as the B Member considers fit by serving notice on the Trust in writing (“the A Member Replacement Power”); and

30.4.3 the B Member may direct that the Protected Assets (subject to attendant liabilities) shall be transferred to another institution which is regarded as charitable under the law of England and Wales with objects compatible with those of the Trust or to be held upon trust for the objects of the Trust by a person or institution which has been appointed as trustee of the Waterways Infrastructure Trust on such terms as the B Member thinks fit (subject to the requirements of charity law) (“the Transfer of Assets Power”).

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or, to appoint another charity with similar aims, but there is no possibility of appointing a commercial operation such as those you suggest.

The new trustees could contract out day to day management of the system to one of the big commercial outfits though.

The current government do seem to like using them for lots of things.