Support if you can

Featured Posts

I think some people do not realise that 'subscribe' in YouTube' parlance does not mean spending anything or sending anybody any money.

It's essentially the same as following somebody on Twitter.

You just get notified when they post something.

The OP is not seeking any funds.

so there  are   youngsters on the cut .i must have missed them ,the only ones i ever meet are boring old farts joke ,but saying that. 4 maybe 5  years ago we meet a loverly couple with two very polite well dressed  children ,they had this boating life sorted ,she was a vet he self taught the kids ,she would get different contracts as a vet but would not stay any were more then 3 months ,they said it works fine for them and they loved it .what abt when the kids get older i asked ,oh we will cross that bridge when we come to it .i very often wonder and  think how its going for them  ,then a couple of weeks later ,yes we met several.old farts .but thats another story or storys , lol stay safe 

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, mark99 said:

Are we expected to pay?

Not normally no.

Though well established YouTubers do often open up the opportunity to sponsor them on a purely voluntary basis, some even start to sell their own merchandise.

But there is certainly no compulsion to pay anything at all.

19 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Not another sponging poncing boater who thinks they are going to make a living doing nothing like a lot of young kids on narrowboats. “I’ll start a Youtube channel and be an overnight sensation”  Go and get a job and work until you have earned enough money to be self sufficient . What’s next Patreon donations? Far too many young kids and couples basically begging to support their lifestyle on the canals through Youtube. Go and get a job and support yourself. Another pair of the Snowflake generation who do not want to work and want everyone to do everything for them. How old are you two and what have you done to support your self’s?

Oh dear... we both have jobs, i'm a freelance web designer and Jack is an accountant, we are very self sufficient thank you very much. We own our narrowboat out right and didn't take out a loan or finance. 

So that is about the best reply you will possibly get, don't judge a book by the cover in the future.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Not another sponging poncing boater who thinks they are going to make a living doing nothing like a lot of young kids on narrowboats. “I’ll start a Youtube channel and be an overnight sensation”  Go and get a job and work until you have earned enough money to be self sufficient . What’s next Patreon donations? Far too many young kids and couples basically begging to support their lifestyle on the canals through Youtube. Go and get a job and support yourself. Another pair of the Snowflake generation who do not want to work and want everyone to do everything for them. How old are you two and what have you done to support your self’s?

bit harsh and unwelcoming?

9 hours ago, Ange said:

We started continuous cruising in our early 40s, I lost count of the number of times I was asked by Mr or Mrs retired how we could afford it, obviously thinking we were state scroungers. We cruised all summer, found ourselves a winter mooring then I got a contract - as an accountant I could earn enough to see us through the next summer, as long as we were frugal.

You really shouldn't judge, it makes a fool of you more often than not

Jack is an accountant and can work from home or at his mums office if he wishes to do so, im a freelance web designer so I also can work from the boat or the middle of a field.

2 hours ago, Higgs said:

Having a bit of a hard time is good training. If they can be put off by a few adverse comments from here, I'm not sure they'll survive what they want to do.  

Don't worry, we are not put off at all, we only listen to wise people with half a decent thing to say!

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

So, in the hope that the OP is still around, despite some of the responses:

You appear to be two people fairly new to living on the canals and are intending to document your experiences in a way that may be of interest to others. At the present, there is growing interest in this subject, as can be seen from the number of different approaches taken by others - it is still a fairly new market and you will do well if you can create good quality material in an innovative way. Over time, the market will mature and some approaches will survive better than others. The only way to find out is to put your toe into the water (as it were) and be prepared to be honest about the reactions you receive.

As I am sure you have already discovered, the canal market is desperately seeking (notably CaRT) to make itself relevant to a younger customer base, one which the older generation, that currently tend to inhabit in places such as this, may not fully understand. The present community element of the canals is now very different from what it was only a couple of decades ago (perhaps even shorter timescale in places where a non-moving liveaboard lifestyle has developed). We need to reinvent ourselves in every generation and those prepared to put their best efforts into enabling that are to be wholeheartedly welcomed.

Of course, this market is no different from many others in that quality and economics will drive success but both of those have to be developed and learned the hard way. Also, sometimes niches arise just because someone has had an idea that is new and which catches particular imaginations. 

If you are still listening to this thread then congratulations! You have at least passed the first test of persistence when the naysayers come out of the woodwork. You may well succeed - some do and some don't but unless we are all prepared to give things a go then life will never move on, more often than not becoming a better place in the process. As with any business, do your homework. If you aim to make money, even a living, then be ruthless with your business plan, always assuming that disaster (eg COVID-19) lives unexpectedly around the corner but yet still believing in what you want to do. Accept criticism - it may well help you towards a better product/service - but don't let it control you. (Some of them are just jealous of your enthusiasm, having lost theirs a long time ago)

Best wishes and do drop in here, especially when you have something for us to see.

Firstly I would like to say a huge thank you to you for taking the time to write such a long message for us, we have read it all and take onboard all notes pointed. I "Martin" have been on the canals for 4 years already and started off on a GRP Dawncraft with the intention of moving onto a narrow boat within my 5 year plan, clearly that has happened and currently on a 30ft narrow boat on my own... me and Jack have been planning on getting a bigger narrow boat so he could move out and move aboard so that's what we have saved up for over the last few years from our jobs, me as a freelance web designer and Jack as an accountant.

We hope what we will be providing will give a slightly different outlook on the network but only time will tell, even if we only get 20 views on a video its not so much about that, its about us having something to look back on in the future.

Regards

Martin

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, haza said:

so there  are   youngsters on the cut .i must have missed them ,the only ones i ever meet are boring old farts joke ,but saying that. 4 maybe 5  years ago we meet a loverly couple with two very polite well dressed  children ,they had this boating life sorted ,she was a vet he self taught the kids ,she would get different contracts as a vet but would not stay any were more then 3 months ,they said it works fine for them and they loved it .what abt when the kids get older i asked ,oh we will cross that bridge when we come to it .i very often wonder and  think how its going for them  ,then a couple of weeks later ,yes we met several.old farts .but thats another story or storys , lol stay safe 

wasn't Dan the site owner involved in a group for younger boaters.

16 minutes ago, Floating Round Britain said:

We hope what we will be providing will give a slightly different outlook on the network but only time will tell, even if we only get 20 views on a video its not so much about that, its about us having something to look back on in the future.

Regards

Martin

That is the very best reason for doing it.

1 hour ago, Floating Round Britain said:

Oh dear... we both have jobs, i'm a freelance web designer and Jack is an accountant, we are very self sufficient thank you very much. We own our narrowboat out right and didn't take out a loan or finance. 

So that is about the best reply you will possibly get, don't judge a book by the cover in the future.

We’ll see when you put your first Vlog out, I’m sure you’ll tout it in here. I hope it’s different and not like the rest of the kids doing Vlogs and your not just going to copy another Vloggers style. To be honest there’s just too many out there like yourselves doing the same same thing, it’s getting really boring that everyone who gets a boat thinks they have to put their life on Youtube and most have nothing interesting or new stuff to show, sorry but everyone’s done it before you and now it’s just getting flogged to death.

15 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

We’ll see when you put your first Vlog out, I’m sure you’ll tout it in here.

I hope they will publicise it on here - I prefer "publicise" to the verb which you have chosen, which may look emotive and derogatory to some readers, and which suggests an importunate and hectoring approach which I'm sure we shan't be seeing.

Like you, I hope that it offers a different and refreshing view.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I hope they will publicise it on here - I prefer "publicise" to the verb which you have chosen, which may look emotive and derogatory to some readers, and which suggests an importunate and hectoring approach which I'm sure we shan't be seeing.

I hope it may offer something different, but I honestly doubt it. As I say the Youtube thing is getting flogged to death by these Newbies and non seam to be bringing anything new and spectacular to the table, sorry to say.

3 hours ago, reg said:

And that is the key point as far as I'm concerned. I'm generally not a negative person and welcome and support initiative and drive BUT I do have issues with this modern concept whereby plaudits are required befor product. I cannot understand why the modern world requires rewards before the event. 

Produce something 

Sell product 

Obtain reward 

Is to me the natural order of things

Many products seek high profile publicity before their launch date (sometimes even before the product exists, at least beyond the prototype stage). Look at Apple iPhones, as an example, but the market is full of similar cases. It can come adrift as happened with a folding phone which the review journalists managed to break!

48 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

We’ll see when you put your first Vlog out, I’m sure you’ll tout it in here. I hope it’s different and not like the rest of the kids doing Vlogs and your not just going to copy another Vloggers style. To be honest there’s just too many out there like yourselves doing the same same thing, it’s getting really boring that everyone who gets a boat thinks they have to put their life on Youtube and most have nothing interesting or new stuff to show, sorry but everyone’s done it before you and now it’s just getting flogged to death.

I haven't, would not dream of inviting you (or others) into my life.

There are some that I cannot watch, some which I see occasionally (when the subject interests me) and two which I am subscribed to and follow. Perhaps it's me but they are definitely not all the same. If they are boring just don't watch them.

• Greenie 1

i dont see what harm floating abt britain will do any one. good luck too you both they have put it out there thats all ,eithier follow it or dont wheres the problem welcome to canalworld .you will soon get the jist of it .thats if you ever come back 

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I haven't, would not dream of inviting you (or others) into my life.

There are some that I cannot watch, some which I see occasionally (when the subject interests me) and two which I am subscribed to and follow. Perhaps it's me but they are definitely not all the same. If they are boring just don't watch them.

I subscribe to Foxes Afloat and cruising the cut.

Both interesting but very different in style. In fact they are poles apart in style but still an enjoyable watch.

Found them during lockdown and they helped pass some of the time stuck with no where to go.

Some of the stuff the Foxes do has an interesting historical aspect too.

21 minutes ago, haza said:

i dont see what harm floating abt britain will do any one. good luck too you both they have put it out there thats all ,eithier follow it or dont wheres the problem welcome to canalworld .you will soon get the jist of it .thats if you ever come back 

Don't worry, we will keep coming back, as I stated before we only listen to people with something good and decent to say.

24 minutes ago, Floating Round Britain said:

Don't worry, we will keep coming back, as I stated before we only listen to people with something good and decent to say.

I don't know how busy you are but you can miss a lot of entertainment by ignoring the idiots - some of their stuff can be very amusing (inadvertently or not).

29 minutes ago, Floating Round Britain said:

Lets hope you have something good and decent to say and see and haven’t got to eat your own words.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I would be very disappointed if OP does not post his first video here... 

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

I hope it may offer something different, but I honestly doubt it. As I say the Youtube thing is getting flogged to death by these Newbies and non seam to be bringing anything new and spectacular to the table, sorry to say.

there is a lot of content on tv that is horrible, we just dont watch it...

canal vlogs are popular, and I dont see why somebody who is completely new should not try to do it, its a journal/diary, not advice, and viewers are not obliged to copy any mistake made. Youtube comment section usually points out such mistake.

I understand the annoyance but I like the fact that everybody can have a go at it(content creation) than some studio agent/manager/person with connection. Dont you think? 

22 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I'm getting the impression you're not a fan of this sort of thing? But why don't you tell us what you really think? ?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Lets hope you have something good and decent to say and see and haven’t got to eat your own words.

As a matter of interest what difference do you think it makes to you?

If you dont like something posted on YouTube one just doesnt watch it.

Complaining about something you've seen on internet is a bit like spotting a pile of dog poo on the towpath, then rather than stepping around it, you step in it in order to give you something to complain about.

On 29/07/2020 at 11:03, john6767 said:

You will be aware that there are a lot of channels in this spaces and some of them are exceptionally will filmed and edited, others not so.  
For what it is worth I would say 30 mins is too long for a episode.  

Possibly, but on the other hand I watched a series of TV programmes on bbc4 which simply filmed from a camera mounted at the bow of a narrowboat with no narration. I think each episode was 2 hours and yet somehow it was great viewing. Really relaxing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05t7kc1

33 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Possibly, but on the other hand I watched a series of TV programmes on bbc4 which simply filmed from a camera mounted at the bow of a narrowboat with no narration. I think each episode was 2 hours and yet somehow it was great viewing. Really relaxing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05t7kc1

its a good idea but am not sure how much effort needed to film to the quality we have come to expect. (juno and foxes have set new bar in production quality) because bbc has tonnes of resource to throw at it.

A 180 degree view (vr) might beat others, I have not seen anybody doing it yet on canals (may be because not enough hits to make it worthwhile)