Support if you can

Featured Posts

We started continuous cruising in our early 40s, I lost count of the number of times I was asked by Mr or Mrs retired how we could afford it, obviously thinking we were state scroungers. We cruised all summer, found ourselves a winter mooring then I got a contract - as an accountant I could earn enough to see us through the next summer, as long as we were frugal.

You really shouldn't judge, it makes a fool of you more often than not

• Greenie 1

Not to mention the number of women who chatted with me happily until my boat appeared. In need of a paint job, no flowers on the roof, in fact a bicycle, a tyre (for the Shroppie), bags of coal and lots of wood.

Suddenly Mrs retired walks away from me

5 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Point of order Mr Chairman: the Callaghan Government introduced YOP (1978); Thatcher expanded it (1980) and then replaced it with YTS (1983). The idea was to massage the unemployment figures. Didn't work, everyone knew exactly what was going on.

Some parts of the country there wasn't any realistic prospect of getting paid employment. Times were hard, industries were shutting down.

And where there was work it was too often temporary contracts which invariably led to a spell on the dole before the next one came along.

And the trouble with the temp jobs was that you did a couple of weeks labouring or whatever and then spent six weeks trying to sort your benefits out again, without any money. Those days, the queue at the Labour in York was out of the building and down the street. With zero hours jobs and Universal Credit, I don't think anything's improved much, and applaud anyone trying to make a living for themselves by carving out their own little niche. You don't get rich, but maybe you get happy instead, and get to eat as well.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And the trouble with the temp jobs was that you did a couple of weeks labouring or whatever and then spent six weeks trying to sort your benefits out again, without any money. Those days, the queue at the Labour in York was out of the building and down the street. With zero hours jobs and Universal Credit, I don't think anything's improved much, and applaud anyone trying to make a living for themselves by carving out their own little niche. You don't get rich, but maybe you get happy instead, and get to eat as well.

The same in Bradford. In fact things were so bad that they introduced fortnightly signing. 

4 hours ago, Ange said:

Not to mention the number of women who chatted with me happily until my boat appeared. In need of a paint job, no flowers on the roof, in fact a bicycle, a tyre (for the Shroppie), bags of coal and lots of wood.

Suddenly Mrs retired walks away from me

In my experience, the interestingness of short conversations at locks is wholly uncorrelated to the quality of the boat - people in the least sophisticated vessels can have at least as much to offer as those in the most sophisticated, and sometimes much more! (Or may be in need of my conversation) To me, that levelling aspect of the canal life is one of its major attractions. In then, we are all just boaters!

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think we have a serious problem with industry's common use of agency insecure contracts, as a way of employment these days. While trade and commerce demand stable and reliable environments, it is not asked for, for employees. It makes me laugh, when people go on about how good working conditions have become. In the use of agency and zero hours, conditions have become dreadful. 

I wouldn't criticise too harshly, the OP. They may have come here less well prepared than they could have; to gain support

Edited by Higgs

On 29/07/2020 at 10:20, Floating Round Britain said:
Good morning everyone, today I am able to share a little bit of news, me and my best friend Jack are working on a new channel called Floating Round Britain, our plan is to almost provide Slow TV in episodes of 30 mins for people to experience the canal network... it would be great if you could support us and head over to YouTube and subscribe at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe50Te2QxpCEcCspo5M06NA

We are aware the channel currently doesn't have any content, this is because its brand new and we are building up interested people into an audience base over the next few days, thank you!

We are still working on recording Episode 1 and will update people as soon as we have finished, you can also search for Floating Round Britain on Facebook and Instagram.

Thanks
Martin & Jack

Best of luck but be aware this has been done by others before you, and done very well... what angle will you be bringing out of interest?

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Depends on the size of the next two holes in the hull. :D

A 50p coin, a 2p coin and a tube of epoxy putty might keep you afloat for years.

You've seen Arthur's boat too, then?

15 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

>>Although the 52p probably isn't enough to keep my boat on the water...<<

Only "probably"?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

In my experience, the interestingness of short conversations at locks is wholly uncorrelated to the quality of the boat - people in the least sophisticated vessels can have at least as much to offer as those in the most sophisticated, and sometimes much more! (Or may be in need of my conversation) To me, that levelling aspect of the canal life is one of its major attractions. In then, we are all just boaters!

Or indeed whether it's hired, a share boat, or a privately owned on.

Oh my goodness... for people who make a living on YouTube it's a full-time job, and not one that I would want to do. Many don't manage to, unfortunately.

I agree with the above around chasing people away. It's pretty simple, do you want the reputation of this forum to improve? If yes, then have some humility. The naiivety actually is not from the original poster but from others who, presumably because they think with age comes wisdom (it doesn't, and the capacity to learn drastically different concepts declines after age 40 in general), have made some broad judgments on an individual from a stereotype.

Edited by Thomas C King
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Oh my goodness... for people who make a living on YouTube it's a full-time job, and not one that I would want to do. Many don't manage to, unfortunately.

I agree with the above around chasing people away. It's pretty simple, do you want the reputation of this forum to improve? If yes, then have some humility. The naiivety actually is not from the original poster but from others who, presumably because they think with age comes wisdom (it doesn't, and the capacity to learn drastically different concepts declines after age 40 in general), have made some broad judgments on an individual from a stereotype.

Having a bit of a hard time is good training. If they can be put off by a few adverse comments from here, I'm not sure they'll survive what they want to do.  

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Having a bit of a hard time is good training. If they can be put off by a few adverse comments from here, I'm not sure they'll survive what they want to do.  

If they're looking for a welcoming and useful forum and they get nonsensical responses based on fantasies, then they'll probably decide that this isn't the forum. They may be perfectly capable of taking adverse comments, but perhaps they're looking for a different kind of place to the one projected by certain posts.

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

That's actually a fair comment as some of the comments on YouTube videos can be quite brutal.

The beauty though is that if you don't want to read unnecessary negativity on your video you do I believe as the owner of the channel have the ability to remove the comment and block people being unnecessarily rude.

2 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

If they're looking for a welcoming and useful forum and they get nonsensical responses based on fantasies, then they'll probably decide that this isn't the forum. They may be perfectly capable of taking adverse comments, but perhaps they're looking for a different kind of place to the one projected by certain posts.

There is a wealth of information on here. It was unrealistic to expect 100% positive reactions to their presentation. They now know this. It is a mixed audience here, and some of the same people they need to cater to. Maybe their project needs honing. It's going to matter on YouTube. If they are making mistakes, better to find out here - possibly. 

So, in the hope that the OP is still around, despite some of the responses:

You appear to be two people fairly new to living on the canals and are intending to document your experiences in a way that may be of interest to others. At the present, there is growing interest in this subject, as can be seen from the number of different approaches taken by others - it is still a fairly new market and you will do well if you can create good quality material in an innovative way. Over time, the market will mature and some approaches will survive better than others. The only way to find out is to put your toe into the water (as it were) and be prepared to be honest about the reactions you receive.

As I am sure you have already discovered, the canal market is desperately seeking (notably CaRT) to make itself relevant to a younger customer base, one which the older generation, that currently tend to inhabit in places such as this, may not fully understand. The present community element of the canals is now very different from what it was only a couple of decades ago (perhaps even shorter timescale in places where a non-moving liveaboard lifestyle has developed). We need to reinvent ourselves in every generation and those prepared to put their best efforts into enabling that are to be wholeheartedly welcomed.

Of course, this market is no different from many others in that quality and economics will drive success but both of those have to be developed and learned the hard way. Also, sometimes niches arise just because someone has had an idea that is new and which catches particular imaginations. 

If you are still listening to this thread then congratulations! You have at least passed the first test of persistence when the naysayers come out of the woodwork. You may well succeed - some do and some don't but unless we are all prepared to give things a go then life will never move on, more often than not becoming a better place in the process. As with any business, do your homework. If you aim to make money, even a living, then be ruthless with your business plan, always assuming that disaster (eg COVID-19) lives unexpectedly around the corner but yet still believing in what you want to do. Accept criticism - it may well help you towards a better product/service - but don't let it control you. (Some of them are just jealous of your enthusiasm, having lost theirs a long time ago)

Best wishes and do drop in here, especially when you have something for us to see.

• Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Best wishes and do drop in here, especially when you have something for us to see.

And that is the key point as far as I'm concerned. I'm generally not a negative person and welcome and support initiative and drive BUT I do have issues with this modern concept whereby plaudits are required befor product. I cannot understand why the modern world requires rewards before the event. 

Produce something 

Sell product 

Obtain reward 

Is to me the natural order of things

26 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

In my experience business is all about:

(1) Get work

(2) Do work

(3) Get paid.

I don't know of any successful businesses that do these three activities in a different order. 

I get work

Get paid

Do work

:)

My understanding is that income on YouTube is derived from people viewing your videos and the adverts that get 'inserted' into your video or shown at the beginning.

You don't gain any income until you actually start posting and people start watching. Merely having subscribers does not in itself generate income, though of course when you do start posting videos the number of subscribers will influence the amount of views.

People can also 'sponsor' you and donte and of course you can get paid to promote items.

So until the OP starts doing some work and posts it they won't actually get paid.

Open to correction on this.

I have an idea! Or maybe I have a friend who has an idea! Or who may one day have an idea! I have no experience of anything so I am unimpeded by relevant experience to that idea.  I have no knowledge of any particular interest group so the question of a match is not an issue.  

Please fund me if you are interested.  I ask to be supported because I am young, enthusiastic, and optimistic! Thank you for your time!

[Copying this brief is permitted, just fill in the blanks as necessary.]