Support if you can

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nah, it's all extra money in CRT coffers, as they will no doubt have paid extra for a Roving Trader's licence and a filming permit ...

Mind you slow time canal journeys at £150 per hour filming time are going to take some serious YouTube views to break even.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/media-centre/filming-and-photography/filming-location-fees

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Mind you slow time canal journeys at £150 per hour filming time are going to take some serious YouTube views to break even.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/media-centre/filming-and-photography/filming-location-fees

I'd bet they haven't even though about paying for the rights to film.

35 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Come on be nice to the new members or they might leave never to be seen again?

I was nice.

All this social cash levering never happened in my youth. Now everyone and his stray dog wants me to give away my pension. If I adopt an elephant, where do I put it on a boat?

And I dislike Youtube. 

• Greenie 1

Ye gods there are some grumpy gits on here. Damn glad nobody knows we built our first boat whilst on the dole all spring and summer - I regarded it as a grant from the gov.  Had a lovely summer, used savings for materials and used the dole for living expenses. So far as I was concerned my selfless behaviour was leaving a valuable job open for somebody who needed it. Sometimes you need to think outside the box to raise a bit of cash. Good luck to floating round Britain.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

They are after subscribers for their Youtube channel at present with no content. Typical new kid boaters who think that boaters will be interested in something we do every day. 
  They will show you interesting things like going through a lock, filling up with water using a hose pipe, lighting a fire using paper, sticks and coal, putting diesel in a boat, starting an engine and wait for it steering along a canal!

Can’t wait for another Youtube channel giving you a guided tour of the canals. Why do new young boaters think they have to have a Youtube channel telling everyone what’s it like on the canals?

To me it sounds more like the one on the TV the other week, a repeat from a few years back where a boat traveled for 2 hours on the K&A with no commentary or anything

Edited by ditchcrawler

7 minutes ago, Bee said:

Ye gods there are some grumpy gits on here. Damn glad nobody knows we built our first boat whilst on the dole all spring and summer - I regarded it as a grant from the gov.  Had a lovely summer, used savings for materials and used the dole for living expenses. So far as I was concerned my selfless behaviour was leaving a valuable job open for somebody who needed it. Sometimes you need to think outside the box to raise a bit of cash. Good luck to floating round Britain.

The dole is/was for people trying hard and being unable to find a job, not for lazy boat building scammers. Your time should have been spent looking for work, its nowt to bragg about. Nowt wrong with living off saved money but drawing dole and tossing it off is not cricket.

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

The dole is/was for people trying hard and being unable to find a job, not for lazy boat building scammers. Your time should have been spent looking for work, its nowt to bragg about. Nowt wrong with living off saved money but drawing dole and tossing it off is not cricket.

You miserable git, your fave PM Maggie invented the YOP, then YTS schemes where lots of youngsters tossed their selves off whilst being paid by her Gov. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

You miserable git, your fave PM Maggie invented the YOP, then YTS schemes where lots of youngsters tossed their selves off whilst being paid by her Gov. 

YTS was a Youth training scheme, not for someone to sit on their arse and claim taxpayers money whilst deliberately being off work. Claiming dole was for those purporting to be looking for work.

• Greenie 2

come on you guys are too harsh, you don't have to subscribe, just a polite no will do.

I have not subscribed, wont do unless they have consistent good content, because that's how youtube works. People like your content, look forward to see the next one, so they subscribe.

You cant beg for subscription without producing content, that's just cheating. There is a lot of hard work behind narrowboat vlogs.

I have a lot of respect and fascination with youtube content creators(and if you make a full time living out of it, very good, why not, its another profession, what's 'proper' job anyway), so hoping to post link to first video here. 

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

To me it sounds more like the one on the TV the other week, a repeat from a few years back where a boat traveled for 2 hours on the K&A with no commentary or anything

I take it they only did a mile in that time on tick over passing all the continuous moorers?

Edited by PD1964

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

YTS was a Youth training scheme, not for someone to sit on their arse and claim taxpayers money whilst deliberately being off work. Claiming dole was for those purporting to be looking for work.

Get on Yer bikes eh.......oh  the website has just crashed again....

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Very few of us were deliberately off work. I had a lovely time in York living on the dole and playing music, but there was no work available. Same for years in Lincoln till I conned my way into a job that didn't really want me as I was overqualified for it.  But when you are stuck in a place for one reason or another and unable to find work you might as well do something creative at the same time. If you deliberately avoid jobs, the dole tends to stop rather abruptly.

And YTS was a crap system for employers to get work done on the cheap. Rarely any training and the kids got treated like dirt.

• Greenie 3

6 hours ago, Floating Round Britain said:

Thank you to everyone who has been genuine and kind in your responses, we will have our first video our "Intro" out this coming Saturday so keep an eye out if you have already subscribed. 

I am looking forward to your intro.

:)

Strewth.

What was it the other day that was being said about cwdf being welcoming to new posters?

Oh yes it welcomes them.......joke.

The title of the thread is 'Support if you can'.

If you for whatever reason you freel you cannot then dont. Simple.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Point of order Mr Chairman: the Callaghan Government introduced YOP (1978); Thatcher expanded it (1980) and then replaced it with YTS (1983). The idea was to massage the unemployment figures. Didn't work, everyone knew exactly what was going on.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Some parts of the country there wasn't any realistic prospect of getting paid employment. Times were hard, industries were shutting down.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Very few of us were deliberately off work. I had a lovely time in York living on the dole and playing music, but there was no work available. Same for years in Lincoln till I conned my way into a job that didn't really want me as I was overqualified for it.  But when you are stuck in a place for one reason or another and unable to find work you might as well do something creative at the same time. If you deliberately avoid jobs, the dole tends to stop rather abruptly.

And YTS was a crap system for employers to get work done on the cheap. Rarely any training and the kids got treated like dirt.

And where there was work it was too often temporary contracts which invariably led to a spell on the dole before the next one came along.