Not Hozelock

system 4-50

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's very clever, nice gadget,  but I'd rather Know when the tank is approaching 'full' rather than just how many litres I was putting in. I have a gauge on the water tank so just 'fill' until 'full'

I have a similar gauge on the output from the pump, so in theory I can measure the volume of water used since the last time I filled the tank. I need to multiply this number by 1.2 to work out the number of litres that needs to go in the tank. I can then estimate how many minutes I have for my tea.

(So either I have a leak or these gauges are not terribly accurate ..... ) 

I have wondered about the gauge that measures the water pressure just before the tank, I can't remember the make.

14 hours ago, Jon57 said:

You need a yo-yo hose. Best extending hose. Google it. Sorry don’t know how to post a link.

We have just got one of these which will be fine most of the time at 10m long

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-10m-hose-reel/4616R?tc=SA8&ds_kid=92700052136097762&ds_rl=1249410&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8NWWt7L06gIVxu7tCh2_OQQjEAkYASABEgJ-HfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It really is a very small package and we don't know why we have not seen it sooner. This will slot nicely in the anchor locker and then we will have the roll flat useless hose for the very odd occasion where a 10m hose isn't long enough.

15 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If water comes out of the gas locker drain holes. my tank is full.

If it doesn't, it isn't.

I've got 2 of those indicators, cheap and reliable................

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-10m-hose-reel/4616R?tc=SA8&ds_kid=92700052136097762&ds_rl=1249410&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8NWWt7L06gIVxu7tCh2_OQQjEAkYASABEgJ-HfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It really is a very small package and we don't know why we have not seen it sooner. This will slot nicely in the anchor locker and then we will have the roll flat useless hose for the very odd occasion where a 10m hose isn't long enough.

The blurb says it has a 1/4" (6mm!) hose.  Cripes. You'll have time to cook a Sunday roast as you fill up.

14 hours ago, mark99 said:

If all else remains constant:

Double diameter = 4 times flow.

Double length of hose = double pressure drop.

Double pressure drop = 1/2 flow.

2 gins = 2 pints.

Trouble is one affects the other.

Increasing hose diameter is the obvs choice if the tap/source pressure is man enough.

In this context, pressure on its own is not of interest to the user - what does matter is the time to fill a water tank. If the supply comes via a tap which is more restrictive than the attached hosepipe then increasing the size of the pipe beyond that of the tap will not deliver water any faster (if it does not come out of the tap in ain't going into the tank - I hope)

The data is consistent with saying that the capacity of the tap is not affected by the connector but that 30 m of hosepipe is a further constraint - very likely given that it will probably have bends as well as drag etc. Increasing the size of the hosepipe to the point at which the time to fill the tank remains a constant clearly brings us back to the time taken without a hose. However, no increase in the size of the hose will reduce the time taken to fill the tank below that taken without a hose.

To reduce the fill time requires an increase in the capacity of the tap (and its upstream supply) at which point a large hose will also be needed to match the supply. But then attaching, say, a 200 mm drain pipe will not fill the tank any faster.

This is exactly what is done on many of the Thames water points - but at the price of increased risk of damage, as has been noted.

All of this is an example, often overlooked, that the performance of a system must be considered on a system basis, not just at the component level. A classic sales pitch: "You know that you have a problem with x and I can sell you a replacement that is twice as good as yours" The unlucky customer fits the new component only to discover that another part of the system has an equal limitation to that of the replaced component and so the overall performance is unimproved. What is important in a system design (whatever the technology) is that all of the components should be matched to each other.

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

All of this is an example, often overlooked, that the performance of a system must be considered on a system basis, not just at the component level. A classic sales pitch: "You know that you have a problem with x and I can sell you a replacement that is twice as good as yours" The unlucky customer fits the new component only to discover that another part of the system has an equal limitation to that of the replaced component and so the overall performance is unimproved. What is important in a system design (whatever the technology) is that all of the components should be matched to each other.

Putting a V20 2000hp engine in a Cortina and wondering why the clutch keeps failing and the brakes are not very effective.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Is it really only a quarter inch diameter or is that a miss print

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is it really only a quarter inch diameter or is that a miss print

It is a small bore but I'm pretty certain it is more than a quarter inch diameter. 

I can't measure it as it is in the boot of Liam's car and he has taken the car to work. Unhelpfully the Hose Lock website doesn't give any more information.

https://www.hozelock.com/product/pico-reel/

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

In this context, pressure on its own is not of interest to the user - what does matter is the time to fill a water tank. If the supply comes via a tap which is more restrictive than the attached hosepipe then increasing the size of the pipe beyond that of the tap will not deliver water any faster (if it does not come out of the tap in ain't going into the tank - I hope)

The data is consistent with saying that the capacity of the tap is not affected by the connector but that 30 m of hosepipe is a further constraint - very likely given that it will probably have bends as well as drag etc. Increasing the size of the hosepipe to the point at which the time to fill the tank remains a constant clearly brings us back to the time taken without a hose. However, no increase in the size of the hose will reduce the time taken to fill the tank below that taken without a hose.

To reduce the fill time requires an increase in the capacity of the tap (and its upstream supply) at which point a large hose will also be needed to match the supply. But then attaching, say, a 200 mm drain pipe will not fill the tank any faster.

This is exactly what is done on many of the Thames water points - but at the price of increased risk of damage, as has been noted.

This contains some facts but is a most peculiar discussion of the (my) problem.  All I'm after is a way of reducing the reduction in flow due to a hose, which this does not address.

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

This contains some facts but is a most peculiar discussion of the (my) problem.  All I'm after is a way of reducing the reduction in flow due to a hose, which this does not address.

Convenience always comes at a price.