Traditional boat hire

Susant

Featured Posts

Just now, Susant said:

Hi,

Does anyone know of any hire companies hiring traditional narrow boats (other than Union Canal Carriers'  Barney boats).

Bye traditional do you mean built of wood with a horse pulling it or do you have another idea of traditional?

19 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

There’s the lovely Jack from Armada Boat Hire near Rugby but only suitable for a couple.

JP

And it's booked up solid -- I know, I looked recently... ?

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Through the summer, yes. Looks like it’s available in October. As for when and how many people it’s for is guesswork!

JP

Same for lots of other nice boats, no free dates until October or even November. If you are going to boat then, a traditional stern will *definitely* be drier and warmer... ?

(still never been on a boat to beat Keith Jones's hire steamer Firefly for this, standing inside the doors with a 500000BTU gas boiler rumbling next to your left leg...)

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Same for lots of other nice boats, no free dates until October or even November. If you are going to boat then, a traditional stern will *definitely* be drier and warmer... ?

(still never been on a boat to beat Keith Jones's hire steamer Firefly for this, standing inside the doors with a 500000BTU gas boiler rumbling next to your left leg...)

Didn't you have to keep rotisserating so that you cooked evenly?

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Didn't you have to keep rotisserating so that you cooked evenly?

Nah, it was a couple of feet away so just lots of lovely warmth -- it's the shiny silver box on the right in this photo (step has been removed). Did a good job of over-cooking the hat I left on top on it one day to dry, though... ?

firefly.PNG

Edited by IanD

was just going to suggest Armada Boat Hire as Jack passed us this morning before we set off from last nights mooring on the Ashby, we’re now moored up for the day on the Oxford and its passed us again at near full chat. So i can safely say there's nowt wrong with its engine ?

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Their other boat Hector looks interesting.

It’s certainly different but probably not traditional in the sense of the question. I prefer Jack and I took a photo of it when passing it’s home base last autumn. Unfortunately I washed my phone a few days later, so I had to borrow one from Armada’s website for the post above. If I was still a hirer I’d give it a try. It seems you can squeeze in one child, and that’s all I’ve got left these days.

JP

13 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

It’s certainly different but probably not traditional in the sense of the question. 

JP

It looks like a peculiar crossbreed of a miniature Dutch barge and a working boat (though the engine isn't where you'd expect it to be).

We've met both these boats on our travels and, in their different ways, they both look "right". I wonder who built them.

Edited by Athy

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Both boats have engines not in the usual place. Hydraulic drive?

Yes you are quite correct, but I was speaking only about Hector. Jack's seems to be in a suitcase  on one side!

I know little of the technology of drive methods (apart, obviously, from the straight-line type which most of us have) so I'll bow to your knowledge on the hydraulic bit.

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Both boats have engines not in the usual place. Hydraulic drive?

Jack has a raised floor to the rear of the cabin suggesting it’s an offset drive rather than hydraulic. Hector I would guess is a hydraulic drive.

JP