Go Windlass

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I know there's a few people on here have got these, and having just done my back in before next week's cruise I thought I might try one. Does anyone know if they are still in business? The website seems to have been rewritten this year but there is no reply or answerphone on the mobile number given and I've had no reply to the web contact doofer. If anyone has a landline number that might help.

Just to round this off, they rang me this afternoon while I was boat fettling and again this evening and I've ordered one.  As I'm leaving at the weekend, I asked if they could get it to me by Friday and we agreed that would incur an extra postage cost.  Unfortunately, their website is only set up to take the set figure and there's no way to add extra postage so they have kindly agreed to waive the extra cost and bear it themselves, which, all in all, I think is rather nice of them.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.  It'll be interesting to see if it makes much difference and I might as well spend my money on  that as on yet another musical instrument with which to torment the neighbours.

I borrowed one of the other complicated windlasses - that I can't remember the name of - in Leeds a few years ago.

I can see them being helpful if you have an injury or disability like Arthur has, but it took far longer than my standard windlass. 

Less effort but for longer, but I don't need one to work paddlegear so not for me (yet!)

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I borrowed one of the other complicated windlasses - that I can't remember the name of - in Leeds a few years ago.

I can see them being helpful if you have an injury or disability like Arthur has, but it took far longer than my standard windlass. 

Less effort but for longer, but I don't need one to work paddlegear so not for me (yet!)

I think the advantage of this is that you can use it like a normal one where you can, and the ratchet when you need to. There were a few paddles on the trip a few weeks back that neither of us could shift.  Like the mooring hooks with long handles, I'm looking for anything that makes boating easier as my body decides that hanging around me for seventy years is damn near long enough.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You'll go blind ...

Sorry, can't read that...

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Lockmaster windlass was the name I couldn't think of.  Far more complicated and heavier than the Go windlass, and I didn't like it.

The lady I borrowed off to test seemed to struggle with setting the ratchet to the correct direction too.

At least the Go seems to be a normal windlass with a ratchet helper on the end, which seems sensible.

Add: crossed with Arthur who was explaining that it's a normal windlass with a helper ...

I love my Go Windlass . I haven't used the ratchet much but it is there if I need it. Before I got the Go Windlass my windlass of choice was a long throw aluminium one but I found that the big circles my arm had to make were causing me painful shoulders etc. With the Go Windlass, if it is quite easy paddle gear, I use the inner slot and the reduction in my arm movement has made locking pain free for me again. I love anything which makes life easier! 

haggis

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think the advantage of this is that you can use it like a normal one where you can, and the ratchet when you need to.

Yeah, it's like the Yorkshire windlass ( short and long throw combined on one shaft) but with a ratchet bit.

Next time I see you at a lock I'll borrow it and cycle the lock for you.  Looks like a good idea though.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Just to round this off, they rang me this afternoon while I was boat fettling and again this evening and I've ordered one.  ...

Are you getting the revolving handle version?  I tend to prefer "grippy" gloves, which I find good for everything except windlass work - and a revolving handle would solve that problem.