Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Are there any drawbacks to a repaint in winter? I have found a slot in Jan or Feb next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had our last boat painted at a similar time of year, so as long as it’s done in a temperature controlled environment you should have no issues 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not if the boat is under cover in a dock with a painter who knows what they are doing.Those I work with do so all year round.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoc said:

Are there any drawbacks to a repaint in winter? I have found a slot in Jan or Feb next year.

You'll be OK in a headed, closed, covered dock but trying outside is a big NO-NO, once you get to October to March/April the dews are too heavy and the paint with neither go on properly or cure properly in a cold, damp environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reassurances. Good to know it will be OK in a covered dock after the stories I had read about ambient temperatures, etc, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Yoc said:

Thanks for the reassurances. Good to know it will be OK in a covered dock after the stories I had read about ambient temperatures, etc, etc.

Just to repeat it DOES need to be a HEATED dock not just a 'tent'.

If it is not heated the steel will be cold and form dew, the paint will not adhere to the dew, and it you dry it off not only will it start to come back but the paint will not go off at low temperatures.

 

I had this problem in October of last year. and due to C19 lockdowns have only just started painting again this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was one of the reasons for my question, does using a space heater in a covered dock count as a "heated" dock. There is a danger at night the temperature can drop considerably during January?

Edited by Yoc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoc said:

does using a space heater in a covered dock count as a "heated" dock.

Depends on how much it heats it. Note that if it’s a gas space heater it’ll produce gallons of condensation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I've been in a covered dock during winter I got the impression the space heater was for the benefit of the staff. If there is no heating at night does it matter if the temperature drops to freezing at night, I'm getting the impression this is not an issue? Good point about the gas heaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Yoc said:

The only time I've been in a covered dock during winter I got the impression the space heater was for the benefit of the staff. If there is no heating at night does it matter if the temperature drops to freezing at night, I'm getting the impression this is not an issue? Good point about the gas heaters.

Had you wondered why there is a 'slot' available in February ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Had you wondered why there is a 'slot' available in February ?

This is one of the reasons for asking the question. I also notice that some boatyards don't do painting jobs between Oct and Apr, but can't find anything to say that winter painting in a heated covered dock is definitely a bad idea and should be avoided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Yoc said:

This is one of the reasons for asking the question. I also notice that some boatyards don't do painting jobs between Oct and Apr, but can't find anything to say that winter painting in a heated covered dock is definitely a bad idea and should be avoided.

In a properly heated (24 hour heating) then it shouldn't be any problem.

The metal needs to be 'bought up to temperature' and kept there for the duration of the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I used a diesel heat-exchanger space heater, vented through the roof. The only problem happened when the exhaust developed a slight leak and vented a small amount into the workshop. The only way I eventually narrowed down the heater was in the silicone like fish-eye effect on some top coat. There is silicone in the diesel exhaust. 

 

The heater would be on 24/7, if required, on a thermostat. I was quite fortunate; not so the engineer and welder who had to work in the freezing cold. It is a constant battle for a painter to stay on top of the elements. On hot days, I'd be wishing for clouds; cloudy day, in the summer, couldn't want for more. 

 

16c is an adequate temperature to paint; keeping the air, paint and steel within a close range of temperature. In the winter, even with heating, it is difficult get the steel to higher temperatures, so 16c is something I was happy with that worked. 

 

 

Edited by Higgs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Higgs said:

On hot days, I'd be wishing for clouds; cloudy day, in the summer, couldn't want for more. 

I've been painting my back-deck with anti-slip deck paint, yesterday was great, overcast and warm,

Today is bright sunshine and high 20's temperature, the paint is going hard on the bush, cannot keep a 'wet-edge' and as I try and overcoat the previous bit it is pulling it back up.

Making a right mess.

 

Packed up, will try again after tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.