Girth Gearbox

Featured Posts

Daughter is having gearbox “fun”

gearbox runs fine in reverse, but in forward the shaft turns but only idly, and there is no clunk as it engages. 

Once the gearbox ATF is warm it engages OK

box is HBW150

do these use the oil pressure for shifting? Going to try an ATF change to see if it improves

Parts are a daft price, the forward clutch pack is required.

Spurious rebuilt boxes are a gambol.

New ones are no better than the one you have, they all fail too often.

Do yourself a favour, fit a new PRM90, straight forward replacement, far far better gearbox. and cheaper than a new Hurth.  Best price I find is Calcutt marine.

Loads of threads here and elsewhere if you search the posts.

TD'

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Parts are a daft price, the forward clutch pack is required.

Spurious rebuilt boxes are a gambol.

New ones are no better than the one you have, they all fail too often.

Do yourself a favour, fit a new PRM90, straight forward replacement, far far better gearbox. and cheaper than a new Hurth.  Best price I find is Calcutt marine.

Loads of threads here and elsewhere if you search the posts.

TD'

Sounds promising  

is the PRM 90 a straight swap, easy enough for the mechanically challenged to perform. With no need to start adjusting engine height etc?

7 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Sounds promising  

is the PRM 90 a straight swap, easy enough for the mechanically challenged to perform. With no need to start adjusting engine height etc?

In some cases, yes.  I have never done one but plenty of folk have. It depends on your boat, no 2 are the same.

Do a search on here, there are lots of threads about this.

Ask PRM, they are very helpful, give them a ring in Coventry.

TD'

Hope you got it sorted, sorry I can’t offer any practical advice. But let me say that it was a pleasure encountering you and your family on t’cut. Jeff (who has been a bit up and down with his mood recently) repeatedly commented on how nice everyone was.

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Hope you got it sorted, sorry I can’t offer any practical advice. But let me say that it was a pleasure encountering you and your family on t’cut. Jeff (who has been a bit up and down with his mood recently) repeatedly commented on how nice everyone was.

That is a really nice post, just exactly what the forum is so good at.

• Greenie 1

On 30/07/2020 at 10:24, Stilllearning said:

That is a really nice post, just exactly what the forum is so good at.

It was great to meet Nick and Jeff. 

Arguments on here whilst sometimes passionate mask the fact that with very very few exceptions it isn’t personal!

i can also vouch for the fact that Jeff, quite apart from his impressive facial hair has working locks down to a fine art. There is a knack to always knowing where to be next to make it work smoothly, and it is great to see in action. 

In other news, the gearbox seems to have recovered!

milky ATF suggested water contamination, so we pumped out the ATF, half a liter of red diesel and ran the box for 10 minutes both ways, pumped out the diesel and new ATF. 

Running sweetly for now. Slight ATF leak around the selector arm, but not tempted to try to fix that!