Which ANT Licence

Robster

Featured Posts

Hi,

I will be traveling the Avon aboard a hire NB next week from Stratford to Tewkesbury and am aware that I will need a licence for this river. I will be spending 2 nights on the river.

However, the ANT website is a little unclear...

Do I buy 3 X 24 Hour overnight for Stratford and Tewkesbury Avon Level at £5 each (so £15)

A 48 hour excusrsion isn't quite enough - but a 7 day through licence seems expensive at £50 when I won't be using half of the licences duration.

What do other people do?

Ta!!

The transit licence is for going all the way down or up the navigation, using all the locks.

If you try and scam it with a licence for mooring overnight on the river at Stratford-upon-Avon the Tewkesbury lockie might not let you exit without paying the £50 transit fee as well!

20 minutes ago, Robster said:

Hi,

I will be traveling the Avon aboard a hire NB next week from Stratford to Tewkesbury and am aware that I will need a licence for this river. I will be spending 2 nights on the river.

However, the ANT website is a little unclear...

Do I buy 3 X 24 Hour overnight for Stratford and Tewkesbury Avon Level at £5 each (so £15)

A 48 hour excusrsion isn't quite enough - but a 7 day through licence seems expensive at £50 when I won't be using half of the licences duration.

What do other people do?

Ta!!

Have you checked with your hire boat company about the licence ? You may find that if your hire company is on the Avon Ring you may be covered.

3 minutes ago, Robster said:

Thanks for the replies - £50 looks like it's the right licence.

Sadly, the hire company isn't on the ring (in fact, for us to do the ring, we need to do Hatton twice in just over a fortnight!!)

I always pay for 7 days, as it's such a nice trip and well worth it. Consider it as a donation towards its upkeep. You won't be disapointed.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Robster said:

Sadly, the hire company isn't on the ring (in fact, for us to do the ring, we need to do Hatton twice in just over a fortnight!!)

If you're out for a fortnight, can you stretch some of the canal days to get another day or even two on the river?

We had a month's ANT licence last year including the 3 river festivals and that was about right, but I appreciate you can't do that on a 2 week hire!

I'm assuming you're planning to stop at Evesham and Tewkesbury for your 2 nights with an early start from the basin at Stratford.

20 minutes ago, Robster said:

It may be worth discussing your plans with the hire company to ensure they are happy / have the correct insurance for you to take the boat on the river.

Better to be save than sorry.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It may be worth discussing your plans with the hire company to ensure they are happy / have the correct insurance for you to take the boat on the river.

Better to be save than sorry.

And make certain that they give you an anchor.

• Greenie 1

The Avon trust people do a superb job of looking after navigation on the Avon and any money you give them all gets spent on navigation, not cycling or "engagement officers" etc etc, just give them as much money as you can afford and enjoy the boating.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, sharpness said:

That is the overnight mooring fee payable at Tewkesbury & Stratford, over & above whatever licence you have. 

Nah, it was £3 to moor at Tewkesbury last year while we had a valid ANT licence. 

The fiver is the permission to drop onto the river but not use the lock at Stratford or the permission to boat up to the lock at Tewkesbury.  It's the River Avon from the junction with the Severn so you should technically pay £8 for mooring below the lock if you come the quarter(?) mile upstream.

I think you are allowed to moor above Tewkesbury lock for that much, but can't go through the next lock, so you can pay it for a safer mooring off the Severn.

21 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nah, it was £3 to moor at Tewkesbury last year while we had a valid ANT licence. 

The fiver is the permission to drop onto the river but not use the lock at Stratford or the permission to boat up to the lock at Tewkesbury.  It's the River Avon from the junction with the Severn so you should technically pay £8 for mooring below the lock if you come the quarter(?) mile upstream.

I think you are allowed to moor above Tewkesbury lock for that much, but can't go through the next lock, so you can pay it for a safer mooring off the Severn.

Can't remember what I paid to moor below the lock last year when I came up the Severn from Gloucester to Worcester.