Macclesfield Pubs

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Beo said:

Where would be the best place to moor in Macclesfield for wheelchair access from the canal into the town? Thank you ?

The pontoons, just past the Puss in Boots pub and the Macc Marina boat nest are the only decent town moorings but it's quite a steep hill down into the town, and, therefore, back up again.  Not quite as bad as Congleton though.

It's tricky on a bicycle so you'd need a strong companion. The pontoons and Macc Marina are adjacent to a main road but I can't remember whether there is a wheelchair friendly ramp up to the road. A taxi would be less than £5 to the town centre

Thanks for the information ?We have been up the Macclesfield once before but only went as far as the Fools Nook pub. Local knowledge offered on here at the time about accessible access helped us to plan our trip so we could attend a friend’s wedding near Congleton.?

3 hours ago, Beo said:

Thanks for the information ?We have been up the Macclesfield once before but only went as far as the Fools Nook pub. Local knowledge offered on here at the time about accessible access helped us to plan our trip so we could attend a friend’s wedding near Congleton.?

The Fool's Nook pub (Royal Oak???) has been shut for several years, just in case you were thinking of doing the same.

16 hours ago, Beo said:

Where would be the best place to moor in Macclesfield for wheelchair access from the canal into the town? Thank you ?

There are steps that lead down to the pontoons at bridge 37. 
Including a photo so you can judge for yourself. 
I count myself lucky to have got a space on the pontoons, they have always been full when I pass. 

5307CCAB-D12A-4D6C-BFC1-47D1F306394D.jpeg

8ADD505C-50FE-49C9-BC1C-244B2DEBC0BE.jpeg

I’m at Gurnett Aquaduct today and it’s a lovely spot. Much nicer than the pontoons. 
Close enough for a cheap taxi ride. 
Better access for a wheel chair. 
And you have a pub Sutton Hall to visit which is on the flat for a short walk. 

CE1D63CB-D843-4F31-B24D-998BAE81C260.jpeg

5E8C06E7-BF41-482E-98D4-26FEC52A058A.jpeg

F662100D-702D-4C00-83F9-862BA05775F7.jpeg

Edited by Goliath
Sorry for the photos being higgledy piggledy

Have you been drinking and fallen over, the photos are sideways.

Whats the olde kings head pub like just below the aqueduct?

Sutton Hall is the Brunning and Price pub so will have a good selection of beers, some local ones, but they will be a bit costly. They also do good food, but the big bonus for us is that they are dog friendly. 

................Dave

Just now, dmr said:

Have you been drinking and fallen over, the photos are sideways.

Whats the olde kings head pub like just below the aqueduct?

Sutton Hall is the Brunning and Price pub so will have a good selection of beers, some local ones, but they will be a bit costly. They also do good food, but the big bonus for us is that they are dog friendly. 

................Dave

Haven’t had a drink yet. 
Getting close though. 

The King’s nice and friendly. 
It’s changed a little since we were last in. 

We’re going to have a walk into town again and find a couple more pubs. 

We didn’t go Waters Green so we have to go back in to town ?

But I think I will ring pubs in advance today. Opening hours are so varied now and still some pubs remain fully closed. So as Macclesfield is a treck (for me anyway, I hate walking) I’ll ring ahead. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Haven’t had a drink yet. 
Getting close though. 

The King’s nice and friendly. 
It’s changed a little since we were last in. 

We’re going to have a walk into town again and find a couple more pubs. 

We didn’t go Waters Green so we have to go back in to town ?

But I think I will ring pubs in advance today. Opening hours are so varied now and still some pubs remain fully closed. So as Macclesfield is a treck (for me anyway, I hate walking) I’ll ring ahead. 

You should have chained that bike up when you went through Birmingham ?  everybodies cycling now so the prices have gone through the roof.

...............Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

You should have chained that bike up when you went through Birmingham ?  everybodies cycling now so the prices have gone through the roof.

...............Dave

I know!

I do regret having left it unlocked. 

Anyway, I have made it to the Water Green Tavern and it’s the perfect pub for me.  
You’d love it. 
No frills. Friendly. Good Ales. 
And cider. 

Shuts between 3 and 5 ☹️

CE96F64B-8F73-4189-8F4E-F3B5A8AB5D7B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Anyway, I have made it to the Water Green Tavern and it’s the perfect pub for me.  
You’d love it. 
No frills. Friendly. Good Ales. 
And cider. 

Shuts between 3 and 5 ☹️

Oh good, sounds like it hasn't changed! I'm glad you got there in the end, and I hope you'll go back again.

13 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

The Fools Nook is for sale at the moment as a resedential property. Someone is selling classic cars from the car park. Two weeks ago their stock included a Renault Dauphine, a Lancia Fulvia and a Reliant Regal.

My first car!   Last time I saw it, it was being used as a hen coop next to the A1, where I had abandoned it when the brakes failed.   In 1968.

Cost £120.  I wonder what they're worth now?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

On 27/07/2020 at 14:24, Goliath said:

It’s lashing down here, on and off. 
So it’s a pub day. 

Anyone recommend a good boozer?
Not bothered about food, just after good beer at a decent price in a pub with no frills. 

Walking in to town. 
Been the Puss Boots before, not on my list to visit again.  

cheers ?

What was wrong with the Puss in Boots?

11 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

What was wrong with the Puss in Boots?

Last time I went (6 or 7years ago?) it seemed to be a family pub and geared towards food in the main. 
This week I was looking for more of a drinking pub, a locals pub. 

As it happened we did go in the Puss in Boots as a final destination before home. We’d saved room for a few pints in the Wharf but it was shut. (It seems plenty of pubs have remained closed, whether temporarily or for good.)So we had no choice but to go in the Puss in Boots for a final pint. 
And when we went in they had no beer on tap! Lagers aplenty and cider but no ale. We turned and left, and went the co-op instead. 

• Greenie 1