What’s wrong with this picture?

pig

Featured Posts

The view is, apparently, downstream.  If this is the case then the boat that we can see nearly stern on is about to pass the buoys on the wrong side.

N

Its always a difficult decision when you see a buoy right over at the far side, do you go right over to be correct, or do you assume its wrongly placed or has moved? I suspect sometimes if EA has no red ones to hand they reckon a green one is better than none at all ?.

Those orange ones on the way into Liverpool are always a difficult decision, especially as the first on has a habit of moving.

..................Dave

Those green starboard hand buoys have been gradually getting closer to the bank over the past few years. There are EA 24 hr moorings just below the lock and adjacent these buoys  making it increasingly difficult to pass them on the correct side. Not too bad in a NB but widebeams and large cruisers must struggle when boats are moored on the 24 hr moorings. Add some flow in the river and life could get quite exiting.

It is though very advisable to pass these on the correct side. I pulled a large hire boat cruiser off the mud last week just below Benson lock who had tried a shortcut.

1 hour ago, Theo said:

The view is, apparently, downstream.  If this is the case then the boat that we can see nearly stern on is about to pass the buoys on the wrong side.

N

Correct answer, except the boat is well and truly aground, having steamed out of the lock, went the wrong side of the buoys. A boat has tried to pull him off, without success, the skipper was phoning RCR as we passed him.

34 minutes ago, pig said:

Correct answer, except the boat is well and truly aground, having steamed out of the lock, went the wrong side of the buoys. A boat has tried to pull him off, without success, the skipper was phoning RCR as we passed him.

You must have been there at the same time as us, unless it was a very long phone call; he was just dialling them as we passed him. He said he blamed it on being too early in the morning so that he had still been half asleep.

Must be an easy mistake to make. We pulled a vintage boat off there a couple of years ago. The skipper told me he had been boating for 42 years and just got confused which way he was going. It took several attempts and one snapped rope. I remember Midnight straining against the drag.  A moored up plastic boat cruiser was in jeopardy had both ropes snapped so I suggested to the owner that it may be expedient to move out of harm's way but he just shrugged and wandered off.

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

You must have been there at the same time as us, unless it was a very long phone call; he was just dialling them as we passed him. He said he blamed it on being too early in the morning so that he had still been half asleep.

We were there about 1130, he was on the phone, maybe a follow up call? Didn’t see you, were you going up or down? We stopped above the lock at Swinford, saw a tug from the boatyard pass us on the way to the scene presumably and return about an hour later.

We went up that way about a fortnight ago, i have to confess i went the wrong side of the greenies. Didn't look enough room to go to the rhs of the floaters. Since i have been educated about green and red bouys.

We went to this lock yesterday afternoon for water and pump out. Turned and moored near the River Evenlode entry. We're now at Wolvercote Where we said cheerio to my brother who has been with us for a week.

Saw keeping up a couple of times.