Weston Marsh lock passage

Philip

Featured Posts

I have a passage booked for the Manchester Ship Canal Pomona to Ellesmere Port this Friday 31st, but panicking a bit now because having just spoken to the Ellesmere Port swing bridge team, they've said it is out of commission (as in closed) currently because of some repair needed and is unlikely to be operational by Friday. I can't leave my boat in the dock below the swing bridge lock there so I'm wondering what the score is with Weston Marsh lock.

Is it currently operational and do you need to pre-book - and if so are we talking days or an hour or so notice like the other Weaver locks?

Edit - just learned that there is another way into the basins at Ellesmere Port, through the larger lock. Anyone know who is responsible for this lock and if they are lenient about letting narrowboats use it, if the smaller lock isn't available?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Philip

The IWA is due to run a 'campaign cruise' through Weston Marsh lock (twice) in late August, so I suspect it's currently operational. The CRT boater's information for the Anderson lift & the Weaver, doesn't give any information about opening times of this lock. You don't need to pre-book lock passages on the other Weaver locks, but this lock may be different. I suggest you contact CRT.

26 minutes ago, Mike55 said:

The IWA is due to run a 'campaign cruise' through Weston Marsh lock (twice) in late August, so I suspect it's currently operational. The CRT boater's information for the Anderson lift & the Weaver, doesn't give any information about opening times of this lock. You don't need to pre-book lock passages on the other Weaver locks, but this lock may be different. I suggest you contact CRT.

Definitely have to book Weston Marsh lock as it is not permanently manned, and very little used.  I understand it is operational again since the Danny tried to take out the top gate ... 

The swing bridge was out of commission last July when we came off the MSC but was permanently in the open position. It looks like they might have closed it since then because it forms part of the emergency evacuation route from the hotel. But for the sake of another phone call to the museum it might be worth phoning them again to check that the out of commission means that it is definitely stuck in the closed position and not in the open position because folk do sometimes 'have their wires crossed' and give out wrong information.

Getting a reply about the goings on at Ellesmere Port can be difficult, its a man from the council (not the museum) who swings the bridge and he does not always answer his phone. Booking the passage onto the Weaver would be easier/safer. I think CRT need a couple of days notice. You MUST book this, I think there is no way to get off the boat to get to the lock, and it can be very windy out there, you really need the lock ready and open when you arrive.  

I have seen a boat moored in the lower Ellesmere basin/entrance but its not ideal, the water can move quite a bit when ships go past. It might be viable for a night or two in an emergency, but not to leave a boat unattended.

................Dave

I know it's the council who are responsible for the swing bridge and that could be where the problem lies in that he/she isn't actually on site and maybe just assumes that because it's out of commission it means boats cannot get through. Whereas the museum staff are actually there and should therefore know if it's stuck in the open or closed position or would be able to physically check.

As I said, for the sake of a just phone call it would surely be worth checking .

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

Thanks.

Who is responsible for the ship lock at Ellesmere Port? This looks the easiest way round, can't see why they won't let me use it if the 'narrow' lock is out of use because of the swing bridge.

I believe the ship lock at Ellesmere Port falls under Peel Ports control.

Not 100% sure on that though.

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have seen a boat moored in the lower Ellesmere basin/entrance but its not ideal, the water can move quite a bit when ships go past. It might be viable for a night or two in an emergency, but not to leave a boat unattended

The Minimal List youtubers tied up there IIRC.

Might be an idea to have a look at their posting for that day.

2 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

The Minimal List youtubers tied up there IIRC.

Might be an idea to have a look at their posting for that day.

We were at Ellesmere for a week or so and there was a boat in the entrance for that whole time, with ropes right across the basin. It was more a small seaboat than a narrowboat, looked unattended and was fine. We waited in the entrance as a ship went past and it was ok, but the water did move a fair bit.

Will try to find the youtube thing.

..............Dave

What is the headroom under the swing bridge in the CRT lock at E Port? Or what is the depth of the lock? I notice from pictures that there is a couple of feet between the bridge deck and the water line so wondering if I can fit underneath with 6'3-5 headroom?

Also I notice there is a spindle - can it wound open with a windlass manually just like that?

Edited by Philip

2 days notice required for Ellesmere Port swing bridge.  Operated by the council tel no 07920 530982 [in 2014, when we crossed to Liverpool].  You will not get under the bridge when the lock is full!

No way the ship lock, it hasn't operated for years and is owned by the council. It leaks like a sieve and is the cause of the loss of water in the bottom pool.

Marsh Lock, for passage onto the Manchester Ship Canal, must be booked 48hrs ahead and is available Monday – Friday 8.00am – 4.30pm. Please phone 0303 040 4040 for details. (All relevant paperwork for passage on the Manchester Ship Canal must be in place prior to booking)

13 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

2 days notice required for Ellesmere Port swing bridge.  Operated by the council tel no 07920 530982 [in 2014, when we crossed to Liverpool].  You will not get under the bridge when the lock is full!

No way the ship lock, it hasn't operated for years and is owned by the council. It leaks like a sieve and is the cause of the loss of water in the bottom pool.

Marsh Lock, for passage onto the Manchester Ship Canal, must be booked 48hrs ahead and is available Monday – Friday 8.00am – 4.30pm. Please phone 0303 040 4040 for details. (All relevant paperwork for passage on the Manchester Ship Canal must be in place prior to booking)

Thanks. What about when the lock is empty? My boat is 24ft long so would clear the bridge length wise. 

Edited by Philip