Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
IanD

Postings on CWDF

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

 

OOps! I saw the dates of the recent posts but a return to such an old thread is so unusual I did not look further. Just trying to be helpful . . . 

 

So, I'd better add to the group best wishes to said member.

The old thread on TB's CWDF board was reignited by a CWDF member, who no doubt realised the error of their ways. TB faces down verbal atrocities, and without need of moderation! 

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chagall said:

The old thread on TB's CWDF board was reignited by a CWDF member, who no doubt realised the error of their ways. TB faces down verbal atrocities, and without need of moderation! 

You are right we do self moderating works well

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chagall said:

The old thread on TB's CWDF board was reignited by a CWDF member, who no doubt realised the error of their ways. TB faces down verbal atrocities, and without need of moderation! 

If anyone really gets upset by the rubbish written on social media, the solution is fairly obvious. This site has been a lot more civilised since the Grest Cull - though I think it was only a small cull really, accompanied by a Considerable Flounce.  I only miss one poster, who with a bit less ego or arrogance (neither of which appear to reflect his offline character) could have avoided the whole thing. TB is pretty uninteresting due to the low posting numbers, at least it us yo me, obviously not to them.

  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2020 at 12:20, Dr Bob said:

Let's just get rid of the political threads. They have just made the situation worse by splitting the left and right. Politics will creep into other threads but should be discouraged. Our focus should be on canals surely.

I rarely read them unless a member reports a post in one of them.

But they are there as a result of a democratic vote by our members. From memory it ended something like 49% in favour, 28% against, rest didn't know or didn't care. This suggests that over 70% of members either like them or don't mind them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I rarely read them unless a member reports a post in one of them.

But they are there as a result of a democratic vote by our members. From memory it ended something like 49% in favour, 28% against, rest didn't know or didn't care. This suggests that over 70% of members either like them or don't mind them. 

That vote was, I think, when we didn't have a political section and I don't suppose many of us realised how having politics allowed would  affect the tone of CWDF . I wonder if a vote was taken now what the result would be?  

 

haggis

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, haggis said:

That vote was, I think, when we didn't have a political section and I don't suppose many of us realised how having politics allowed would  affect the tone of CWDF . I wonder if a vote was taken now what the result would be?  

 

haggis

 

There isn't always enough boaty stuff of interest. I'm not into general chit chat and don't mind the odd confrontation, to pass the time here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, haggis said:

That vote was, I think, when we didn't have a political section and I don't suppose many of us realised how having politics allowed would  affect the tone of CWDF . I wonder if a vote was taken now what the result would be?  

 

haggis

Perhaps we should have another referendum? :tonguefirmlyincheek:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do the political section but wouldn't wish to see it withdrawn from those who do. If posts in there upset people to the point they report the poster I suggest those aggrieved readers stop going there - simples!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just that politics spill over into the other forums, so does the current political HoC "debating" style -- "alternative facts", "if you're not for us you're against us", division into "us and them" (left/right, North/south, rich/poor, caring/uncaring, selfish/generous, Guardian/Daily Mail...), pulling out insults like snowflakes/woke/virtue signaller/Guardian reader if you can't "win" on the facts, denigrating and BEING AGGRESSIVE towards people who are new or don't know stuff, name-calling, denying that you said something which you did, twisting/exaggerating/selectively reporting the facts, quoting from dodgy/discredited sources, unwillingness to admit that anything you said or did could possibly be wrong even after being shot down in flames...

 

All methods used by Trump and to a lesser extent by Boris, and by Brexiteers and to a lesser extent by the Remoaners (not my terms), because they think they can gain by division and tribalism, and admitting errors is seen as a sign of weakness -- care homes and Covid-19, anyone? What it really shows is insecurity, tribalism and lack of empathy, the inability to see another point of view or concede that it might have any validity if it disagrees with yours, and should be SHOUTED down.

 

Before anyone repeats the tactics from further up and accuses me of hypocrisy yet again, I suggest you take the log out of your own eye -- nobody's perfect (including me), and pointing out where I might have departed from perfection sometimes doesn't make what I'm saying -- that CWDF would be a nicer place if all this happened less frequently -- any less true... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

You're not keeping up. Its the presumption that the aggro generated in that section spills over into the other 'main stream' parts of the forum and that drives valued peeps away. I originally voted for a political section as I thought it would focus all the nasty stuff in there and I could ignore it. It hasnt quite worked that way.

The vote was also at the height of the Brexit debate and there was no getting away from that discussion so I think most peeps thought it would be a good idea to have a political section. Brexit is now over but unfortunately the 'left' and the 'right' are now well known and thus the ongoing sniping from either side. I am not sure how you will ever get round that now other than individuals learning to control how they respond to others.

Dr Bob is on the money - I avoid politics on the forum but there is an inevitable undercurrent which drags almost every boating topic off into politics - I'm amazed someone has not yet pulled one of the most interesting threads in years (DIY Li BMS systems) off course with "... you must realise the vote in ... will increase / decrease the price of Lithium cells..." followed by a (re)heated argument about who won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

^^^ If @IanD becomes a poster he aspires to be, I would like to take some credit for it... 😁

If you didn't keep sniping, I might give you some credit 😉

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you didn't keep sniping, I might give you some credit 😉

thanks... but seriously it will definitely help if one less person creates unnecessary aggravation.

so best of luck for your journey, you can follow people like @DandV @churchward, both are pretty unflappable while having pretty strong opinion. Although I disagree with their posts, they rarely lose patience (something I need to learn from them)

Edited by restlessnomad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Midnight said:

I don't do the political section but wouldn't wish to see it withdrawn from those who do. If posts in there upset people to the point they report the poster I suggest those aggrieved readers stop going there - simples!

That's what I did. I was one of those asking for it to be lobbed off the VNC system. People's political views and\or confrontational attitudes as shown there bear no relation to how they come over anywhere else, possibly because politics corrodes the sense of humour (inc mine), and I don't let peoples politics affect my own attitude to people, either here or in real life. Neither of my closest friends are of my political persuasion. More fun that way.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

You're not keeping up. Its the presumption that the aggro generated in that section spills over into the other 'main stream' parts of the forum and that drives valued peeps away. I originally voted for a political section as I thought it would focus all the nasty stuff in there and I could ignore it. It hasnt quite worked that way.

The vote was also at the height of the Brexit debate and there was no getting away from that discussion so I think most peeps thought it would be a good idea to have a political section. Brexit is now over but unfortunately the 'left' and the 'right' are now well known and thus the ongoing sniping from either side. I am not sure how you will ever get round that now other than individuals learning to control how they respond to others.

I don't need to keep up I just wanted to explain my position in that I wouldn't wish to spoil it for those who do like a bit of heated political debate. In regard of this forum I find the level of civility generally quite acceptable. If anyone p**ses me off I usually just stop posting. Never had any thoughts of blocking anyone - not even Nick Norman :icecream:

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

thanks... but seriously it will definitely help if one less person creates unnecessary aggravation.

so best of luck for your journey, you can follow people like @DandV @churchward, both are pretty unflappable while having pretty strong opinion. Although I disagree with their posts, they rarely lose patience (something I need to learn from them)

I think we're in danger of agreeing again -- are you sure you wouldn't like the full half-hour argument, not just the five-minute one? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IanD said:

I think we're in danger of agreeing again -- are you sure you wouldn't like the full half-hour argument, not just the five-minute one? 😉

no, I am looking for a political thread(no EU, no blm, no loddon opened) to have a proper fight... can you help? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IanD said:

... and by Brexiteers and to a lesser extent by the Remoaners (not my terms)..

Theres no lesser and greater with those two, the entrenched views of both sides are as bad as each other and absolutely awful for the country and society as a whole.

  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's what I did. I was one of those asking for it to be lobbed off the VNC system. People's political views and\or confrontational attitudes as shown there bear no relation to how they come over anywhere else, possibly because politics corrodes the sense of humour (inc mine), and I don't let peoples politics affect my own attitude to people, either here or in real life. Neither of my closest friends are of my political persuasion. More fun that way.

Good post. I must say that certain peoples attitudes re certain things have made me post in ways I never used to. I have some very good friends and of the very best ones who are long time standing the top two both voted remain and neither voted conservative. we are all still very firm friends. I hope your trombone playing is better than your political views :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Dr Bob is on the money - I avoid politics on the forum but there is an inevitable undercurrent which drags almost every boating topic off into politics - I'm amazed someone has not yet pulled one of the most interesting threads in years (DIY Li BMS systems) off course with "... you must realise the vote in ... will increase / decrease the price of Lithium cells..." followed by a (re)heated argument about who won.

Yea, but that's just cause Smelly doesn't like Lithiums 😎

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yea, but that's just cause Smelly doesn't Understand Lithiums 😎

Corrected that for you...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.