Postings on CWDF

IanD

Featured Posts

Just now, IanD said:

It would have felt much better had there been more helpful/useful comments. Still, every post like yours proves my point, it's much easier to snipe than be constructive... ?

am sorry, are you for real or trolling everybody... coz everything you hate about others applies to you... its pretty funny...

if it is later(trolling) then well done, I admire you, you got me for sure... 

54 minutes ago, IanD said:

Go back and read my first post. Ignore everything that follows (except the Meccano posts, obviously).

Do you agree with it, or do you think that this kind of posting doesn't happen today and CWDF is indeed friendly towards new and old posters?

It is no better or worse than it has been for the last 12 years.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

You can't really expect politeness between people who have fundamental differences of opinion on politics.  This is a discussion forum, essentially about a subject we all agree on, which is that boating is fun. So there's not a lot of bad temper about that.  Politics is different - if I am right, then you are stupid not to agree with me and it's only reasonable that I should point that out. Politics is a power game, so bullying is built in. It's also important, and so has no real place on what is largely a recreational forum.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Agreed.

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You carefully didn't answer the question I asked -- are you a politician in your spare time? ?

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You can't really expect politeness between people who have fundamental differences of opinion on politics.  This is a discussion forum, essentially about a subject we all agree on, which is that boating is fun. So there's not a lot of bad temper about that.  Politics is different - if I am right, then you are stupid not to agree with me and it's only reasonable that I should point that out. Politics is a power game, so bullying is built in. It's also important, and so has no real place on what is largely a recreational forum.

Agreed, politics is an emotive subject on which people will never agree, and bullying (and SHOUTING, and abuse, and "alternative facts") are unfortunately part of it -- just look at the HoC.

But the place for this behaviour on CWDF is in the politics forum, not elsewhere, and CWDF would be more welcoming to new and old boaters if that was observed.

I know this is a lost cause, the comments on this thread have made that blindingly obvious, but maybe -- just maybe -- this will have made some think about how they post so CWDF becomes a little bit more tolerant and nicer to people. And that includes me ?

Edited by IanD

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

I would respectfully disagree... it is very much possible to have a civil discussion but it will need slightly stricter moderation(which is not easy to do, you dont want to treat grown ups like kids), usually it needs only small number of angry/emotional posters to make things tense... 

I feel its good that people are passionate about politics, brexit (and scottish referendum) did bring out lots of bile but at least people are not nonchalant about politics. I like the fact that old, young, marginalised people, everybody feel that something is at stake here. We are all a bunch of nobodies, what power have we ever enjoyed?

about removing politics from this forum, yes you have a point, although I have participated in political debates, and enjoyed, I wont miss it much. I have seen people getting angry about boaty stuff too.

23 minutes ago, IanD said:

You carefully didn't answer the question I asked -- are you a politician in your spare time? ?

I would say that Rachel has indeed answered your question.

7 hours ago, bizzard said:

Thank yew haggis.  I remember when I first popped up on here, 2011 I think it was. I took very heavy scathing remarks for my first few posts, but I admit some had not much to do with canals really, even my avatar was riduculed and called hideous by a few, but I struggled on in my abnormal bonkers style.

At least it has port and starboard correct - I think!

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You can't really expect politeness between people who have fundamental differences of opinion on politics. 

Years ago I used to work with a Scottish ex shipyard union convenor whose politics were very much of the very far left.

Despite having diametrically opposed views we could sit and discuss politics, each trying to prove the other wrong, with never a raised voice or cross word.

So it can be done.

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Years ago I used to work with a Scottish ex shipyard union convenor whose politics were very much of the very far left.

Despite having diametrically opposed views we could sit and discuss politics, each trying to prove the other wrong, with never a raised voice or cross word.

So it can be done.

It can be done, but not in the current adversarial my-party-right-or-wrong-your-mother-was-a-hamster-and-your-father-smelt-of-elderberries system we have in the HoC today...

Oops, maybe this should be in the politics forum...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Its the not letting go that causes the problems.   

Which is more or less what I was implying, in my post about those who are incapable of letting go of Brexit, and strangely it isn't the side you would expect who keep the turmoil going.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

It bothers me that someone went to all that trouble, and put in all those manhours, to complete a huge scale model of a beautiful locomotive, but he forgot that in the end it would still look like a collection of Meccano pieces.

At least it isn't a modern interpretation of an historic narrowboat ...

:giggles:

Just now, Jerra said:

Which is more or less what I was implying, in my post about those who are incapable of letting go of Brexit, and strangely it isn't the side you would expect who keep the turmoil going.

I think its more helpful to admit one's own mistake to cool down the temperature which leads other side to admit their mistake as well. pointing fingers(even when justified and factually correct) hardly helps.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Every post you make simply confirms that every word of what I said was true. Please keep it up... ?

[congratulations, you've joined my list of invisible people -- to which I'm sure you'll make a sarky reply, but don't do it for my benefit 'cos I won't see it]

So let’s see, not only can you not see that your contributions to this forum often contain those things you are complaining about, when faced with a polite, rational and logical counter argument and, let’s face it, a demolition of your flaky position, your reaction is to “hide under the duvet” and block me. Are you a 13 year old girl, by any chance?

Anyway I can now have a field day because I can’t be accused of making a personal attack when the person isn’t aware of it. Yippeee (aka wot a nob!).

Edited by nicknorman