Postings on CWDF

IanD

Featured Posts

Instead of arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a mooring pin, can people try and answer the question that I posed -- do you think the kind of posting I referred to (bullying, SHOUTING, insults, "alternative facts") on CWDF is acceptable (on what is supposed to be a "friendly, accepting forum") or not?

There's nothing that can realistically done by the moderators to stop this (nor should there be), but maybe if the people doing this thought that the community here didn't like what they were doing to CWDF they'd moderate their own behaviour -- peer pressure can be very effective...

P.S. Postings about Meccano are however acceptable ?

Edited by IanD

Just now, bizzard said:

This ere forum is like ''The principal of the constant velocity joint''.

280px-Simple_CV_Joint_animated.gif

Constantly revolving balls.

I can think of a couple of good posters who have gone because they were insulted on here by Quote " a few tall poppies".

TD'

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think its only fair that the post is repeated so those of us who were having a few beers and a lovely chinese meal can read it cos I missed it yesterday :D

I missed it too, would be nice to have a special section where those with strong stomachs can see all the removed posts ?

I missed it because I was busy boating.

Circumstances caused us to spend the morning moored at the water tap, several hire boats had to come alongside to get water, non complained, I think they enjoyed it. Then did some boating sharing locks with "strangers". Quite hard boating as needed to let a lot of water down to sort empty pounds, a hire boater helped. Then went for a few beers on the boat we had shared the locks with, real world boating is much nicer than the forum.

...............Dave

• Greenie 3

33 minutes ago, dmr said:

The forum has been going downhill for a few years now, and Brexit has been a very emotional and divisive issue that does spill out from the politics section,

Much of the "aggro" stems from the split in the country starting with Brexit, and followed up by the fact that some posters just can't resist "rubbing salt into the wound, or to use a line from a play I once acted in, "don't stand their pouring oil on an already blazing inferno"

18 minutes ago, bizzard said:
1 hour ago, IanD said:

Anybody else remember building the massive shipyard crane that I think was on the cover of the biggest boxed Meccano set?

OIP.fBTmmWcW_gtsVxOgzwsBHAHaEu.jpg

OIP.O_lwGGTwDLgf0m-worwBGAHaFL.jpg

All shipyard cranes were made out of Meccano. Meccano sales went down in line with the decline of the British ship building industry. Coincidence? I think not. The picture below is of too low a resolution to see the holes, but they are there.

Finnieston_Crane.jpg.881ccd1f963e68b13a7f2e34558cd775.jpg

Danish shipyard cranes are made of Lego of course.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

All shipyard cranes were made out of Meccano. Meccano sales went down in line with the decline of the British ship building industry. Coincidence? I think not.

Finnieston_Crane.jpg.881ccd1f963e68b13a7f2e34558cd775.jpg

Danish shipyard cranes are made of Lego of course.

Jen

And some bridges really were made from Meccano;

meccano2.JPG

Picture from CanalPlanAC

• Haha 1

Just now, dor said:

And some bridges really were made from Meccano;

meccano2.JPG

Picture from CanalPlanAC

That's either a nice bit of Photoshop (even the shadows match up) or there's an architect out there with a sense of humour...

30 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Same here, although thankfully only a gently breeze

As I posted the sky started to brighten here

Hopefully this forum will when the sun shines 

23 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Or 5G :cheers:

Is that 5 Gins 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

That's either a nice bit of Photoshop (even the shadows match up) or there's an architect out there with a sense of humour...

The latter.  Google "Meccano bridge".

i have used things for sale many times on here and had some great bargains and some not so good .i have even got rid of stuff i thought would be usefull to others ,but when i do try and add some thing to a tread .i am pulled up abt my spelling full stops my grammer  which as  turned in  to insults even .not every one can compose replys like most on here .well i can not for one .,and no   i am not looking for..oh aint that a shame you can shove that .canal world as been very helpful to me and many others ,when i do read stuff on here and i think i should reply to it, but i  dont .threads start of all good but soon slide down hill in time that as allways been the case. oh while im here some boater went by two days ago and they where very great .full of the two tons of logs i gave them .so they have gone ,while we were chatting i asked them if they used this place .there reply never ever dreadful place any way stay safe

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, IanD said:

This used to be a friendly place for boaters new and old to ask questions and get answers, and a mine of knowledge about the history of the canals and the boats on them. It's moving towards somewhere much less friendly, where anything that challenges the entrenched views of some results in a shower of criticism which often rapidly descends into schadenfreude and personal abuse -- playing the man, not the ball. And I'm not going to mince words here, it's also clear that most of this comes from a few people who are effectively poisoning the atmosphere on the forum.

When was that then? I can't help thinking this is an example of "the good old days" syndrome.

I've been coming on here for the past 15 years and it's always been the same as far as I can tell. I probably don't come on often enough these days to know if it's got any worse recently, but I think you might be generalising about a few noticeable threads which have turned negative as they're the ones which tend to stick in your mind. Overall I'd say it's not as bad a picture as you paint.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

41 minutes ago, IanD said:

But you said it was "posting style" -- so then, do you agree that such a "posting style" is -- to put it mildly -- not compatible with the ethos of CWDF to be a "friendly, accepting forum" ?

If you do then we're in agreement, we just call it two different things.

If you don't then you're condoning such behaviour and we will have to disagree.

Yes posting style. The style in which the hard facts of a post are wrapped in. The additional words not forming the core of the argument. The tone of the post outside the hard facts posted. Seems a straightforward concept to me!

Yes of course it would be better if people were polite an didn’t resort to personal insult. But it takes two to have an argument, and arguments develop and escalate, they tend not to pop out of the blue. One way to avoid an argument escalating is to avoid a combative style where, for example you put words into other people’s mouths and then complain about what they (didn’t) say and guess their motives for saying it. In this thread and on that score you have demonstrated wanting. Therefore my conclusion is that you are as much a part of the problem as many others.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Yes, I blew up, and I apologised for it. At least the blow-up was a direct Anglo-Saxon invitation to go forth and multiply, not accusing people of malice ?

Again you're playing the man, not the ball -- please comment on the case I've put forward, not your personal opinion of me or what I've said or done.

This method of attacking people is *exactly* what leads to many of the raging arguments I'm talking about.

No not playing the man, playing my impression of some your recent postings. I find your post rather hypocritical considering you yourself are one for twisting and misinterpreting what others say to meet your own desire to bite back.

There I just criticised you and now apologise for it so it's all okay now.

PS I find this forum quite moderate in comparison to some.

Edited by Midnight

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I think it depends on which aspects of the forum you frequent. Personally I tend to stick to technical subjects, and in those I haven’t really noticed a deterioration. There has always been an element of lack of patience with new posters, I don’t think this has got worse. What has perhaps got worse is the prevalence of new posters whose first post might be something like “I’ve just bought a boat to live on but the engine isn’t working, what is wrong with it?” and they then get a bit grumpy when asked for details. In other words, an increase in “entitlement” from new posters.

IMO it is completely pointless visiting the political threads unless one’s sole aim is to have an argument for the sake of it. Political views are entrenched, and yes increasingly so since Brexit. You ain’t going to get anyone to change their views so it is pointless to try.

I agree, I have my account set up to show me new postings on some of the forum sections (or whatever they are called), and to ignore the virtual pub etc.

Depicted here are a Meccano scenic railway and a most beautiful meccano model of a streamlined Stanier Coronation pacific. Note all the holes in it, these are to allow the wind blow through it and so aid it's streamlineliness at speed.

61-10.jpg

P1020647.JPG

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Well, to an extent: whilst it is always gratifying to see an apology, if you felt that you had written something culpable, perhaps you could have edited or deleted it, thereby avoiding the need to apologise. 

42 minutes ago, Midnight said:

No not playing the man, playing my impression of some your recent postings. I find your post rather hypocritical considering you yourself are one for twisting and misinterpreting what others say to meet your own desire to bite back.

PS I find this forum quite moderate in comparison to some.

Please give an example of said twisting and misinterpreting. If I was wrong, I'll admit it and apologise.

If you can't give an example, you've proved my point.

Edited by IanD

Does anyone else find it sad that a genuine well-meant attempt to try and reduce the nastiness of postings on CWDF has been turned round into adversarial accusations of hypocrisy, rather than discussing the issue at hand and whether anything can be done to improve things?

I think this has perfectly demonstrated that what I've been saying has been true all along...

[but I'm sure somebody else will come back and accuse me of hypocrisy on this post too]

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Does anyone else find it sad that a genuine well-meant attempt to try and reduce the nastiness of postings on CWDF has been turned round into adversarial accusations of hypocrisy, rather than discussing the issue at hand and whether anything can be done to improve things?

I think this has perfectly demonstrated that what I've been saying has been true all along...

[but I'm sure somebody else will come back and accuse me of hypocrisy on this post too]

Yes you do seem to have double standards. I don’t doubt that it was a genuine well-meant attempt to try to address the nastiness of postings on CWDF, but without self-awareness (is that the right word for seeing yourself as others see you?) it was always doomed to failure.