Postings on CWDF

IanD

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

It's that word 'nobody'. It's so absolute.

A very small number of people are prepared to do the most unspeakable things to gain and hold on to power; a larger number are prepared to follow for whatever reason.

Does Arthur really mean nobody ever set out to make the world a worse place?

If you're going to quote me, quote the whole phrase, because it matters.

I said, "nobody ever set out to make the world a worse place AS THEY UNDERSTOOD IT". Stalin thought he was doing that, so did Pol Pot. Idealists are usually misguided and cause great trouble, but they don't intend to do anything but improve the world. Usually, they don't, but that's the result of the idealist/pragmatist dichotomy, not their motivation.

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I said, "nobody ever set out to make the world a worse place AS THEY UNDERSTOOD IT". Stalin thought he was doing that, so did Pol Pot. Idealists are usually misguided and cause great trouble, but they don't intend to do anything but improve the world. Usually, they don't, but that's the result of the idealist/pragmatist dichotomy, not their motivation.

What about people who are just plain selfish, power hungry, having what are judged as perversions or sadistic?

Edited by mark99

21 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Even when I try to point out that in my view this sort of conduct is not really acceptable in the politest way I can it so often results in a nasty reply and a  flounce...

Which will then prompt the usual suspects to jump in with ‘There’s another new member that CWDF has chased off’. 

As for the assertions made in the OP no, it isn’t something I’ve noticed.  Perhaps because I limit myself to the areas on the forum that most interest me. 

On 28/07/2020 at 19:23, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I don't get the blocking thing. Join a discussion forum, you'll hear different views on things, that's what it's all about, surely? My best guess is that those who block people are regular Guardian or Daily Mail readers, who rarely read anything else.

Dunno what papers ‘blockers’ tend to read but I’ve never blocked anyone myself on any forum ever. I’m not 13 any longer and I’m perfectly able to cope with someone with differing views to myself. 

50 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You did. And I will continue to maintain that some (a very small number, admittedly) did set out to make the world worse. I don't know about Stalin or Pol Pot. How about John Tyndall?

43 minutes ago, mark99 said:

What about people who are just plain selfish, power hungry, having what are judged as perversions or sadistic?

Indeed

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Dunno what papers ‘blockers’ tend to read but I’ve never blocked anyone myself on any forum ever. I’m not 13 any longer and I’m perfectly able to cope with someone with differing views to myself. 

Its not because of their point of view that I block them , its the constant rudeness and sniping. By blocking them it removes the temptation to reply which would get me banned.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Its not because of their point of view that I block them , its the constant rudeness and sniping. By blocking them it removes the temptation to reply which would get me banned.

Fair enough, but I can resist temptation too, witnessed by the fact that I’m currently on a diet having been recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. ;)

Just now, WotEver said:

Fair enough, but I can resist temptation too, witnessed by the fact that I’m currently on a diet having been recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. ;)

Hopefully that will sort it for you, Mum was Type 1 diabetic and managed to live to 93 despite the best efforts of the health professionals, she had been injecting insulin for 40 years and they decided that she didn't need to check her levels every day and tablets would be fine, they weren't, disrupted her routine so levels were all over the place for the last few years of her life.

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I take little notice of the media but try to research things myself and make my own mind up. The trouble is that the internet is quite heavely censored now and it can be very difficult to obtain root scientific data. Many counter views get classed as 'fake news' or 'conspiricy' and get banned. 

As for blocking, I agree that it seems most people do it because they can't form a counter argument to views they don't agree with. The main reason I like forums is that it's a place where my views can be challenged. Isn't every day a school day?

There are other cases where members are blocked due to psycological bullying and stupidity. I'd say they are good reasons.

11 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

As for blocking, I agree that it seems most people do it because they can't form a counter argument to views they don't agree with. The main reason I like forums is that it's a place where my views can be challenged. Isn't every day a school day?

Well said :)

• 5 months later...