Postings on CWDF

IanD

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

Corrected that for you...

I understand they are a retrograde move and not as good as FLA batteries  but a million times more expensive. Cant be charged if its too hot, cant be charged if its too cold, need all manner of kit to monitor them and other such nonsense as to make them non viable ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I understand they are a retrograde move and not as good as FLA batteries  but a million times more expensive. Cant be charged if its too hot, cant be charged if its too cold, need all manner of kit to monitor them and other such nonsense as to make them non viable ?

What's that got to do with Brexit??

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

As (another analogy) a Rolls Royce will only do what a Cortina will do, allbeit with a little less noise and fuss, and a big "I've got lots of money'" image.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As (another analogy) a Rolls Royce will only do what a Cortina will do, allbeit with a little less noise and fuss, and a big "I've got lots of money'" image.

Oy I had a Royce for years a proper car they are

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Now my response to Smelly was to divert this away from a discussion on lithiums but I have to jump in on that analogy. Toatally wrong. With lithiums you run your engine far far less to charge your batteries in winter. Not quite the same as a Roller. 

.........and if we are talking cars, then my Tesla is the best car I have ever owned (and that includes Porsche) ........and it has Lithiums. 

Smelly will be telling me next that ecofans are no good either!?

40 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Smelly will be telling me next that ecofans are no good either!?

Now, now, Dr Bob, you're far too early with a mention of Ecofans. That's a winter topic when there isn't much else to chat about. 

haggis

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Now, now, Dr Bob, you're far too early with a mention of Ecofans. That's a winter topic when there isn't much else to chat about. 

haggis

Ecofans, a bit less Smelly then Cassette or Pumpout.

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I hope your trombone playing is better than your political views :D

The trombone is a very ancient, rather difficult and a slightly silly instrument. My politics are similar... The only practical effect of my politics is the same as most people's, whichever way they lean, and that's to try to make the world work a little better for the people I know or work with. At grass roots level, that's all that matters, we all have slightly different ways of approach, that's all. Nobody, right, left, communist, fascist, Christian, Muslim or atheist, ever set out meaning to make the world a worse place as they understood it.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Changing the direction this thread is taking at the moment. Whilst I appreciate its easy to drive new members away the Warning lamp not working topic is a prime example of something that really makes my blood boil. I think starting a new topic with no more information than was in the old one, not answering relevant questions , not providing photos when requested and only asserting things have been tested and are working but not giving any data or method of such tests. Also no explaining why the things requested can not be provided. Then after many members have tried to help decides to slip in the vital information that may well explain it all.

Even when I try to point out that in my view this sort of conduct is not really acceptable in the politest way I can it so often results in a nasty reply and a  flounce so the question is just how can we get the information we need to answer questions and when its not forthcoming point out that its not polite or acceptable. Maybe the general consensus is it is acceptable so anyone who tries to help should just "suck it up" rather than complain.

What's the members' views?

Yes you are right of course. However as with all such things, it is easy to identify a problem but much harder to identify a solution! You’ll notice I didn’t get involved in that thread. It was clear how it would develop right from the outset!

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Changing the direction this thread is taking at the moment. Whilst I appreciate its easy to drive new members away the Warning lamp not working topic is a prime example of something that really makes my blood boil. I think starting a new topic with no more information than was in the old one, not answering relevant questions , not providing photos when requested and only asserting things have been tested and are working but not giving any data or method of such tests. Also no explaining why the things requested can not be provided. Then after many members have tried to help decides to slip in the vital information that may well explain it all.

Even when I try to point out that in my view this sort of conduct is not really acceptable in the politest way I can it so often results in a nasty reply and a  flounce so the question is just how can we get the information we need to answer questions and when its not forthcoming point out that its not polite or acceptable. Maybe the general consensus is it is acceptable so anyone who tries to help should just "suck it up" rather than complain.

Strangely those threads annoy me as well. Even though, in most cases I do not have the experience to be of assistance, the lack of meaningful communication is obvious and frustrating. Particularly so, as I try to follow technical threads to the end in the hope of learning something.

But it works both ways. If I, worried, post about an overheating problem, comments about my wife changing the oil (however light-hearted) do not assist much.

Edited by frahkn

26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Why can't new members be prepared to help themselves and those offering assistance - it can be done, just look what Maji  managed to achieve with his 'water pump' thread.

If they are not prepared to help, they they should be prepared not to be helped.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why can't new members be prepared to help themselves and those offering assistance - it can be done, just look what Maji  managed to achieve with his 'water pump' thread.

If they are not prepared to help, they they should be prepared not to be helped.

I disagree.  

One's instinct is to assume that posters have come here with a mechanical problem, full stop.  Often they have actually come with a mechanical problem, a lack of understanding as to how to go about tackling a problem eg the need for precise information where possible, and a lack of personal organisation in getting around to providing said information.  The latter maybe outside their control.  They also lack the understanding that the forum needs to know the current position in that organisation eg I can't do that at the moment because...

So the task of the forum is not just to solve the mechanical problem but to train said individual in the whole process of solving a problem by getting help.  The latter is not nearly so much fun for the forum than the former, unfortunately.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even so it took a while before Maji realised he needed to show his very non-standard water intake but at least when he realised he did.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

I disagree.  

One's instinct is to assume that posters have come here with a mechanical problem, full stop.  Often they have actually come with a mechanical problem, a lack of understanding as to how to go about tackling a problem eg the need for precise information where possible, and a lack of personal organisation in getting around to providing said information.  The latter maybe outside their control.  They also lack the understanding that the forum needs to know the current position in that organisation eg I can't do that at the moment because...

So the task of the forum is not just to solve the mechanical problem but to train said individual in the whole process of solving a problem by getting help.  The latter is not nearly so much fun for the forum than the former, unfortunately.

All true but when I try do do that I tend to get insulted so the attempt at training is wasted.

17 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Dr Bob is on the money - I avoid politics on the forum but there is an inevitable undercurrent which drags almost every boating topic off into politics - I'm amazed someone has not yet pulled one of the most interesting threads in years (DIY Li BMS systems) off course with "... you must realise the vote in ... will increase / decrease the price of Lithium cells..." followed by a (re)heated argument about who won.

Since almost any major innovation has its downsides, deciding whether the good excuses the bad is a political question. It is unhelpful when people pretend that certain things are wholly good or wholly bad.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I also fully agree you but the problem is a lot of the new members with a technical problem dont realise how many questions need answering to provide an 'on line' solution. Yes the warning light one is a good example,.....but so is the 'water in my engine bilge' one. The OP there relucantly released a few answers but there are least another 5 or 6 important ones. If he had given all the answers then I am sure the cause would be narrowed down...but no.....and no picutures.

I think the other issue with newbies with mechanical problems is they dont realise how 'vibrant' this forum is and asking a question - I've got a problem - they dont realise how quick that problem is going to be answered. Within 24 hours, we have probably come up with a list of 20 questions and half a dozen different reasons for the problem and then 20 questions on each of the individual reasons - then the OP turns up again and is just totally overwhelmed.

.....and then there are all the peeps who dont think ecofans work.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

All true but when I try do do that I tend to get insulted so the attempt at training is wasted.

Doing training well is a skill that requires experience.

You can't expect it to work smoothly on your first attempt ...

;) :giggles:

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

What's that got to do with Brexit??

Bloody foreign batteries coming over here nicking jobs off hard working British lead acid batteries and you ask what it’s got to do with brexit, sometimes I despair I really do ?  

23 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Bloody foreign batteries coming over here nicking jobs off hard working British lead acid batteries and you ask what it’s got to do with brexit, sometimes I despair I really do ?  

Yea, but these LAs at the cheap end of the market dont do the job for long so the foreign ones may be a better bet to do the job.:P