Postings on CWDF

IanD

Featured Posts

...and when I first got involved in this forum a bloke called Gibbo was posting and he could be pretty combative and very cruel to people who talked rubbish, and it was all very enjoyable and sometimes almost made me wee myself laughing, its a fine dividing line.

...............Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

The forum has been going downhill for a few years now, and Brexit has been a very emotional and divisive issue that does spill out from the politics section, but right now the country has gone into a strange post lockdown period of insanity where many aspects of routine civilised behaviour have gone out of the window and extreme selfishness and self importance have taken over. I really hope this is not a permanent change. Maybe this has got to the forum too and things will settle down before too long?

................Dave.

I’m glad you vocalised that because I’ve noticed it too. Not so much on the forum as in real life. But let us not forget that these extremes are in the minority, and a lot of good has also come out of lockdown. For example, we now know our neighbours a whole lot better and they are really nice people. Easy to concentrate on the bad!

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

The forum has been going downhill for a few years now, and Brexit has been a very emotional and divisive issue that does spill out from the politics section, but right now the country has gone into a strange post lockdown period of insanity where many aspects of routine civilised behaviour have gone out of the window and extreme selfishness and self importance have taken over. I really hope this is not a permanent change. Maybe this has got to the forum too and things will settle down before too long?

................Dave.

It's the usual winter (lack of) cabin fever on here, but this year it carried on until July rather than finished in March.

As you say, the lockdown has done strange things to people's attitudes, hopefully not permanently.

For a really technical humdinger you needed to witness the Gibbo/ DaveW  arguments.  I think it was DaveW but I am not absolutely certain.  I moderated one or two of the posts of that pair.  Indeed some, including Gibbo, say that I was responsible for Gibbo's leaving the forum.  Thone who remember will know that no mod could leave the post in quetion untouched!

N

PS Incidentally I am sure that I used to be able to use the search function to find a particular member.  That facility seems to have disappeared, perhaps as a means of flame prevention or was it just a moderator facility?

Edited by Theo

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

By my definition,  bullying, shouting and personal insults presented in forum posts by repeat “offenders” surely relates to those people’s “posting styles”. Because we are not talking about the issues of the argument, we are talking about the way in which those arguments are presented, which I am summarising as “posting style”. Seems straightforward to me!

And anyway, here we have it. “You seem determined to misunderstand what I say”. Rather than clarifying what you mean in case there is miscommunication, you resort to accusing me of appearing to deliberately misinterpret you, which is not the case. Playing the man not the ball as a first resort.

I don't see how much clearer I could possibly make it having now repeated half a dozen times exactly what I mean. Unless you're doing this deliberately to wind me up -- which of course I wouldn't think you capable of -- or are so obtuse that you can't understand what I'm saying -- again, unlikely for somebody on CWDF -- the only logical conclusion is that you're deliberately misinterpreting what I say, possibly to try and excuse such behaviour because you like seeing the equivalent of gladiatorial fights to the death on CWDF. But obviously I can't be accusing you of that either, because that would be a personal attack...

So I'm stumped. Why *do* you think such obnoxious "posting style" (bullying, SHOUTING, insults, "alternative facts") on CWDF is acceptable?

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No I wouldn’t either

I can see someone throwing theIr toys out the pram within the next few posts. 

Go on, name names, I dares ya ?

Edited by IanD

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

...and when I first got involved in this forum a bloke called Gibbo was posting and he could be pretty combative and very cruel to people who talked rubbish, and it was all very enjoyable and sometimes almost made me wee myself laughing, its a fine dividing line.

...............Dave

Gibbo was a brilliant poster and great loss :(

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

If my "lifestyle" involves killing other people and eating them, does that make it acceptable because it's my "lifestyle choice" and everyone has a right to choose?

I suspect most people would disagree with you about this -- let's see if anyone can be bothered to comment...

I guess you didn’t read my subsequent edit.

For clarity I am not suggesting that the posting styles we were referring to were good or acceptable. My argument is about reciprocity and even-handedness. My point is that you seem to find it OK to criticise other people’s posting styles, whilst your own are far from saintly, and you become defensive and object when the same complaint is levelled back at you, citing a “don’t play the man, play the ball” whilst in the next or previous sentence doing the exact opposite yourself.

Oh and by the way, the Iban of Borneo (where I lived for a year) were very nice people. They had a tradition that a young man had to leave the Longhouse and return a few months or years later with a bag of human heads. It was just what they did. In their society it wasn’t bad. At least they didn’t eat the flesh, as far as I know.

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

So I'm stumped. Why *do* you think such obnoxious posting behaviour (bullying, SHOUTING, insults, "alternative facts") on CWDF is acceptable?

This is a bit like the “when did you stop beating your wife” question. Since I have never said that obnoxious posting behaviour is acceptable nor do I think it, it is pretty hard to explain why I think it.

3 minutes ago, Theo said:

For a really technical humdinger you needed to witness the Gibbo/ DaveW  arguments.  I think it was DaveW but I am not absolutely certain.  I moderated one or two of the posts of that pair.  Indeed some, including Gibbo, say that I was responsible for Gibbo's leaving the forum.  Thone who remember will know that no mod could leave the post in quetion untouched!

N

Do I remember correctly,  he posted a joke that was fairly outrageous with the intention of inviting a ban?

The arguments were epic tbh.

4 minutes ago, Theo said:

For a really technical humdinger you needed to witness the Gibbo/ DaveW  arguments.  I think it was DaveW but I am not absolutely certain.

N

I remember the name Chris W - was it him?

Gibbo, like one or two others, is occasionally the subject of rumours that he has returned under a different name. As far as we know he hasn't, though it's probable that an occasional "Guest" post has been from him.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

We were promised  heavy rain and thunderstorms today. I was looking forward too it. All we have had so far is an hour of drizzle. :unsure:

Peed it down all day here so far and very windy!!

Just now, nicknorman said:

I guess you didn’t read my subsequent edit.

For clarity I am not suggesting that the posting styles we were referring to were good or acceptable. My argument is about reciprocity and even-handedness. My point is that you seem to find it OK to criticise other people’s posting styles, whilst your own are far from saintly, and you become defensive and object when the same complaint is levelled back at you, citing a “don’t play the man, play the ball” whilst in the next or previous sentence doing the exact opposite yourself.

Oh and by the way, the Iban of Borneo (where I lived for a year) were very nice people. They had a tradition that a young man had to leave the Longhouse and return a few months or years later with a bag of human heads. It was just what they did. In their society it wasn’t bad. At least they didn’t eat the flesh, as far as I know.

I absolutely do not object to people criticising my posts, or views, or opinions, so long as they do it in a reasonable manner -- and if their opinion is different to mine, that's fine too. If you can point out any case where I have descended to personal insults to make my case instead of facts then I'd be surprised -- and sorry, because I try and avoid this for exactly the reasons I've explained.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Peed it down all day here so far and very windy!!

Same here, although thankfully only a gently breeze

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

The sun is trying to make an appearance here. B)

As I posted the sky started to brighten here

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I remember the name Chris W - was it him?

Gibbo, like one or two others, is occasionally the subject of rumours that he has returned under a different name. As far as we know he hasn't, though it's probable that an occasional "Guest" post has been from him.

You are right.  It was ChrisW.  He threw several hissy fits when I was a new mod.  Jon Belcher, who was then the owner, gave me valuable advice.

I am not a frequent poster and try not to get into the sort of threads that are being talked about here.

That said my own experience has been that a good number of threads go "off topic" and then degenerate.

Could members consider the use of private messaging as more appropriate than a forum slanging match?

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Do I remember correctly,  he posted a joke that was fairly outrageous with the intention of inviting a ban?

The arguments were epic tbh.

That was exactly the situation.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

This is a bit like the “when did you stop beating your wife” question. Since I have never said that obnoxious posting behaviour is acceptable nor do I think it, it is pretty hard to explain why I think it.

But you said it was "posting style" -- so then, do you agree that such a "posting style" is -- to put it mildly -- not compatible with the ethos of CWDF to be a "friendly, accepting forum" ?

If you do then we're in agreement, we just call it two different things.

If you don't then you're condoning such behaviour and we will have to disagree.

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I was thinking you ?

I did see your post yesterday and I am still recovering. Emotionally shocked. That’s what I am. ?

Actually I think it was good to get it out the system. 

I think its only fair that the post is repeated so those of us who were having a few beers and a lovely chinese meal can read it cos I missed it yesterday :D

• Happy 1

I think that the tendency to be open to bullying on here as on other social media is related to the seeming compulsion to take note of insults.  I am convinced that the way to avoid the mental anguish is not to read or listen to the insults.  A computer is signally easy to use in this respect.  It has, among other facilities, an on/off switch.