Postings on CWDF

IanD

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I used to post heaps of rubbish on ere, but most of my fans seem to have gorn , It is quite boring now. :(

Please don't stop -- I love your rubbish, it's not only funny (and not abusive...) but makes more sense than some of the rest of the posts ?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 4

Just now, bizzard said:

I used to post heaps of rubbish on ere, but most of my fans seem to have gorn , It is quite boring now. :(

I miss your rubbish, Bizzard ? and all the canal related posts. Perhaps if some members wind their necks in, we might get a good forum back again. Hopefully it has not sunk too low and will recover,

haggis

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Please don't stop.

To paraphrase a line from the G&S operetta Patience:

'Rubbish, perhaps. But such precious rubbish!'

?

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

I miss your rubbish, Bizzard ? and all the canal related posts. Perhaps if some members wind their necks in, we might get a good forum back again. Hopefully it has not sunk too low and will recover,

haggis

Thank yew haggis.  I remember when I first popped up on here, 2011 I think it was. I took very heavy scathing remarks for my first few posts, but I admit some had not much to do with canals really, even my avatar was riduculed and called hideous by a few, but I struggled on in my abnormal bonkers style.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Thank yew haggis.  I remember when I first popped up on here, 2011 I think it was. I took very heavy scathing remarks for my first few posts, but I admit some had not much to do with canals really, even my avatar was riduculed and called hideous by a few, but I struggled on in my abnormal bonkers style.

Often mad, never bad and an absolute world of insane ideas, plus plenty of practical advice when needed, I for one enjoy your contributions

:)

• Greenie 4

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think it depends on which aspects of the forum you frequent. Personally I tend to stick to technical subjects, and in those I haven’t really noticed a deterioration. There has always been an element of lack of patience with new posters, I don’t think this has got worse. What has perhaps got worse is the prevalence of new posters whose first post might be something like “I’ve just bought a boat to live on but the engine isn’t working, what is wrong with it?” and they then get a bit grumpy when asked for details. In other words, an increase in “entitlement” from new posters.

IMO it is completely pointless visiting the political threads unless one’s sole aim is to have an argument for the sake of it. Political views are entrenched, and yes increasingly so since Brexit. You ain’t going to get anyone to change their views so it is pointless to try.

The problem is that exactly the same attitude is infecting the non-political forums too -- something starts as a discussion about [xxx -- almost anything] and ends up with insults being thrown around instead of facts -- or opinions, which are perfectly valid and don't always agree and shouldn't do.

Here's my latest reply to the moderators:

Hi Mike

CWDF was never perfect but this does seem to have got worse recently, in particular Brexit triggered a perfect sh*tstorm of abuse that's still going on -- just look at how often some people (always the same ones) wheel out words like Remoaner and snowflake as soon as they think they're "losing" an argument (about anything) -- usually because they've presented some dodgy alternative facts and been called out on it. It's like Godwin's Law only even more depressing...

I do have faith in CWDF, I think it's a great forum, and I'd like it to stay that way, but preferably with fewer of the kind of postings I'm referring to that either wind people up or drive them away.

I realise that the principle of free speech applies and the moderators can't (and shouldn't) police every post, but is does seem to me that a small number of people -- less than 10 by my count -- are responsible for the vast majority of the posts that cause such dissension and anger.

It's the equivalent of a few people ruining the atmosphere in a room by farting loudly, deliberately and often -- yes it gets them plenty of attention, but the end result is that more reasonable people walk out of the room and don't come back.

You can't ban farting, but maybe if it's made socially unacceptable enough people will try and stop doing it so obnoxiously? Or maybe some people will just see the reaction they've succeeded in getting (which is what they seem to want) and eat more beans... ?

It'll be interesting to see what the responses to my post about the subject are...

Cheers

Ian

Edited by IanD

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

"Edited 2 hours ago by Athy
Removing unacceptable language."

??????

I blew my top and used some expletives. Being accused being willing to endanger others and being cavalier with their safety when you've left the house four times since March -- including once for my mum's death in a care home where we couldn't visit her or see her so she died alone, and once for her funeral -- made me see red and I lost it.

Edited by IanD
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I for one would never have learnt about the versatility of meccano without @bizzard. Always enjoy your posts.

I almost never read, let alone post the political stuff. Mostly limit my posts to techy and silly subjects. This one is an exception of course.

Jen

If the abuse stayed on the political threads then it would be easy to ignore it, but it's spreading everywhere, largely emanating from a few prolific gas generators... ?

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I for one would never have learnt about the versatility of meccano without @bizzard. Always enjoy your posts.

I almost never read, let alone post the political stuff. Mostly limit my posts to techy and silly subjects. This one is an exception of course.

Jen

In my dreams I'm still receiving my copies of ''Meccano Magazine'' from the newsagent ''Beestons'' once a month at 1/3d, the cost is added to my dads ''News of the World'' and Nosegay baccy account.  RIP Frank Hornby.

42 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Have you runout of anecdotes, antidotes and have joined the CWDF Establishment aka nit pickers?

I can't belive that,

PS is cat  OK?

8 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I missed the fun perhaps but OP is as much an offender as anybody else here( if not abusive, unnecessary combative, in my observation)...

Lol

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I missed the fun perhaps but OP is as much an offender as anybody else here( if not abusive, unnecessary combative, in my observation)...

I didnt see the post he refers to either and to be fair its mainly as he says the Political threads that peeps including myself get irate on. I havnt seen much, if any deterioration on other topics. Obvisously Biz is a bloomin eeejut and should be banned :D

46 minutes ago, bizzard said:

In amongst that rubbish that I usually found entertaining there was often a gem of a post, especially in respect of near obsolete engines and equipment. keep it coming please

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

In amongst that rubbish that I usually found entertaining there was often a gem of a post, especially in respect of near obsolete engines and equipment. keep it coming please

Hes irreplaceable and a great asset to the forum..................for an eejut ;)