Cheshire Ring

kawaton

Featured Posts

Bottom of Marple locks through to Romiley is quiet. At the bottom of the Ashton canal there is a basin on the left that has a security gate. Usually the locals will tell you what the number is so you can get in and out on foot. Probably not too many about though at the moment. 
I would say anywhere on the Bridgewater is safe but it is a commuter towpath these days so not really quiet until you get beyond Altrincham but you are almost at Lymm by then. 

On 27/07/2020 at 16:29, kawaton said:

Sorry. peak forest, Ashton, Rochdale

So its getting through Manchester area im thinking of

I am familar with Macc and T&M

Piccadilly basin just above the Rochdale nine is completely secure and quiet.  Castlefields at the bottom of the Rochdale nine is ok too.

On 27/07/2020 at 16:29, kawaton said:

Sorry. peak forest, Ashton, Rochdale

So its getting through Manchester area im thinking of

I am familar with Macc and T&M

I have only just noticed your post. When do you intend doing the trip?

In the past I have had an early start and travelled from Dukinfield to Castlefield in a day. But that was before there were secure moorings at both Portland basin and Piccadilly which  is handy if you want to break up the journey.   

On 28/07/2020 at 17:11, Flyboy said:

Piccadilly basin just above the Rochdale nine is completely secure and quiet.  Castlefields at the bottom of the Rochdale nine is ok too.

I loved Piccadilly Basin....I even poled the boat out so we didn't wake the neighbours in the morning with the JP!....I think you now need a fob rather than a code to get in/out so dont plan on leaving the boat to escape to the outside world...makes it very safe!