Lithium charging with a BtoB

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Guys and Gals,

just a heads up to alert anyone who knows anything about Sterling BtoBs that I have posted a summary of my charging system in the 'Main' Lithium Battery thread.......I know a lot of peeps dont look at this any more.

I am interested if anyone has any experience with these and particularly how they react when you switch of the current in or switch off the connection to the 'receiving' battery - not a mention in the manuals.

See the post here.

My post is post number 1301 on page 53.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Guys and Gals,

just a heads up to alert anyone who knows anything about Sterling BtoBs that I have posted a summary of my charging system in the 'Main' Lithium Battery thread.......I know a lot of peeps dont look at this any more.

I am interested if anyone has any experience with these and particularly how they react when you switch of the current in or switch off the connection to the 'receiving' battery - not a mention in the manuals.

See the post here.

My post is post number 1301 on page 53.

Maybe time to start a new thread???

• Happy 1

23 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

He just did!

i can’t imagine that disconnecting the B2B power in could possibly be a problem, and pretty unlikely that disconnecting the output would be. There is not a lot of stored magnetic energy in a B2B, unlike within an alternator that is working hard. If it was a problem surely the manual would mention it?

6 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

It's a tough call. Yes a new thread on the merits or demerits of BtoBs would enable better searching in future but all threads drift so you then have loads of threads on Lithiums and everyone gets bored. Having all discussion in one thread helps keep it to just those who are interested and follows it.  Maybe you are right?

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

i can’t imagine that disconnecting the B2B power in could possibly be a problem, and pretty unlikely that disconnecting the output would be. There is not a lot of stored magnetic energy in a B2B, unlike within an alternator that is working hard. If it was a problem surely the manual would mention it?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The manual doesnt specifically mention isolation via turning off the input or output.

Thanks to TD and Detling for your comments also.

Anyone out there actually using a Sterling BtoB? Their biggest market is for camper vans etc. I'll go and have a look at some of their forums!

On 26/07/2020 at 22:02, Dr Bob said:

Anyone out there actually using a Sterling BtoB?

Dre is the only one I'm aware of on here. I hope to be a B to B er when I eventually get to the boat.

There were a few links posted in Ivan's thread

https://faroutride.com/b2b-review/

https://marinehowto.com/understanding-the-sterling-power-pro-batt-ultra-battery-to-battery-charger/

https://battlebornbatteries.com/sterling-pro-batt-ultra-battery-battery-charger/

There may be new comments since you last looked

Up the reds

57 minutes ago, redwing said:

Dre is the only one I'm aware of on here. I hope to be a B to B er when I eventually get to the boat.

Similarly, I'm intending to fit one in October when my current regime (610w solar into 200ah LiFePO4) is going to need backup - also going to fit another 600w of solar, so the B2B is really only for the dullest of weeks....

Dave