Bathroom 12v fan new

Tony ralph

Featured Posts

Hi boaters 

I'm replacing my 12v toilet fan.. received my replacement fan it's come with two red lives only not live and negative. I see it's Obviously not compatible any advice can I  reconfigure some how

any  advice welcome 

Thank you 

5 minutes ago, Tony ralph said:

Hi boaters 

I'm replacing my 12v toilet fan.. received my replacement fan it's come with two red lives only not live and negative. I see it's Obviously not compatible any advice can I  reconfigure some how

any  advice welcome 

Thank you 

Have to got a link to the item, the seller or any technical details ?

Was it sold as a boat ventilation fan ?

There are a couple of possibilities

2 minutes ago, Tony ralph said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primeline-PEFLVF-Voltage-Extractor-Manrose/dp/B009CC8PM2

This is the link to the fan  do I need a transformer with it as I'm 12 v anyway

The supplier states that these fans are 12v AC NOT 12v DC so they cannot be run off a boat battery

• Extractor Fan
  • LOW VOLTAGE model. 12V AC 20VA Power consumption
  • 4" Exhaust. 85m3 per hour extract rate

8 minutes ago, Tony ralph said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primeline-PEFLVF-Voltage-Extractor-Manrose/dp/B009CC8PM2

This is the link to the fan  do I need a transformer with it as I'm 12 v anyway

It is a 12V AC fan, not DC. Designed to work via a transformer from mains AC voltages, but with no rectification. Can't be easily made to work with 12V DC. It may just sit there till the magic smoke escapes if connected up. Not an easy thing to make work and a lot cheaper to send it back and get something else that is 12V DC. The motor design on this needs a 50Hz AC source to work.

If you have an inverter on board, then you could get a 240V to 12V AC transforrmer and run it that way, similar to how it would be installed in a house bathroom.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

23 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It is a 12V AC fan, not DC. Designed to work via a transformer from mains AC voltages, but with no rectification. Can't be easily made to work with 12V DC. It may just sit there till the magic smoke escapes if connected up. Not an easy thing to make work and a lot cheaper to send it back and get something else that is 12V DC. The motor design on this needs a 50Hz AC source to work.

If you have an inverter on board, then you could get a 240V to 12V AC transforrmer and run it that way, similar to how it would be installed in a house bathroom.

Jen

But a very inefficient way (taking a 12v battery, inverting it 230v AC, transforming it down to 12v AC) with losses at every stage, and having to buy a 12v transformer as well.

It would be cheaper to throw it away and buy the correct one.

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But a very inefficient way (taking a 12v battery, inverting it 230v AC, transforming it down to 12v AC) with losses at every stage, and having to buy a 12v transformer as well.

It would be cheaper to throw it away and buy the correct one.

I second that

Wharrabout geting a 12V vibrator (sometimes used in WWII radio power supplies.....)

Perhaps more sensibly and if the OP doesn't mind tinkering around (assuming the AC fan has alreadt been purchased), then 12V DC computer fans can be had from Ebay

Edited by OldGoat

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

I thought of that and rejected it as he said he had bought a new one, never thought of someone buying a house fan for a boat. Sorrrrrry.

I must get out more..............

TD'

The problem is that new-to-boaters think of them as a 'floating house' and don't realise the differences - there is another thread running where a new-boater has bought a 'bit of a wreck' and doesn't understand why she shouldn't use a domestic electrician to re-wire it.

Always assume the questioner doesn't know, hence his/her questions. Until you get the knowledge 'you know nothing and will make mistakes',

He has done the right thing by asking, and at least now won't set the magic smoke lose and possibly set fire to his boat.

Just spent a jolly couple of hours trying to work out why the extract bit of my Manrose light/fan would not run when mounted yet ran whilst hanging by its wires. Felt like the blades were binding somewhere but could I work out where ?

Eventually separated the fan bit but it would still 'catch' - non standard solution. Quick squirt of WD40 into the housing and it now runs smoothly. Worth a try cos direct replacement seems to run between £30-odd and £98. Watch this space?

28 minutes ago, Opener said:

Just spent a jolly couple of hours trying to work out why the extract bit of my Manrose light/fan would not run when mounted yet ran whilst hanging by its wires. Felt like the blades were binding somewhere but could I work out where ?

Eventually separated the fan bit but it would still 'catch' - non standard solution. Quick squirt of WD40 into the housing and it now runs smoothly. Worth a try cos direct replacement seems to run between £30-odd and £98. Watch this space?

The ones I have seen are designed to run 'vertically' and have the word 'top' moulded into the casing.

If you are running it horizontal (on a ceiling) it could cause the fan to drop 'downwards' in its bearings and catch/rub.

51CQWUkm3pL._AC_.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The ones I have seen are designed to run 'vertically' and have the word 'top' moulded into the casing.

If you are running it horizontal (on a ceiling) it could cause the fan to drop 'downwards' in its bearings and catch/rub.

I have to presume that it is a ceiling version - has a central light incorporated and vents out through a munchroom. Lots of moisture from below and above so all screws nice and rusty. It ran when we first purchased the boat but only seems to have stopped recently. Well, it's running again now......

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I second that

Wharrabout geting a 12V vibrator (sometimes used in WWII radio power supplies.....)

Perhaps more sensibly and if the OP doesn't mind tinkering around (assuming the AC fan has alreadt been purchased), then 12V DC computer fans can be had from Ebay

There is an updated solid state one available, via the WS19 group. Direct replacement for the original.

As an aside, the first car radio I had was a valve one, with HT being generated by a vibrator and transformer. Failed when the vibrator stopped working, putting DC into the transformer and melting it.

2 hours ago, Iain_S said:

There is an updated solid state one available, via the WS19 group. Direct replacement for the original.

As an aside, the first car radio I had was a valve one, with HT being generated by a vibrator and transformer. Failed when the vibrator stopped working, putting DC into the transformer and melting it.

Reminds me of the old communist days Prague joke about the "new" 16 valve Skoda. 8 in the engine and 8 in the radio. 

On 25/07/2020 at 19:48, Iain_S said:

My first car...a Skoda...had 16 valves.

8 in the engine and 8 in the radio.

The vibrator suddenly stopping working...can lead to all kinds of distress. Plan ahead !

On 25/07/2020 at 21:54, PaulD said:

Reminds me of the old communist days Prague joke about the "new" 16 valve Skoda. 8 in the engine and 8 in the radio. 

9 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

My first car...a Skoda...had 16 valves.

8 in the engine and 8 in the radio.

There's an echo in here...

4 minutes ago, PaulD said:

What do you call a convertible Skoda ? 

A skip.

Why do Skoda's have a heated rear screen? 

To keep your hands warm when pushing it.

I say, I say, I say

I don't need to know that.

Kindly leave the room....