A hob oven?

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

When cruising I do miss enjoying certain meals.I should say I only have a single burner spirit stove.Toast,I can make with a perforated steel plate with wire across the top,but I do miss Sainsburys Sticky Ribs which need to be cooked in an oven.There is no room for fitting a full size cooker,so I was wondering if there was such a thing as a hob oven.

I can envisage something like a steel box perhaps the size of a biscuit tin that sits on the hob.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

5 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

When cruising I do miss enjoying certain meals.I should say I only have a single burner spirit stove.Toast,I can make with a perforated steel plate with wire across the top,but I do miss Sainsburys Sticky Ribs which need to be cooked in an oven.There is no room for fitting a full size cooker,so I was wondering if there was such a thing as a hob oven.

I can envisage something like a steel box perhaps the size of a biscuit tin that sits on the hob.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Cobb bbq is a good bit of kit. But must be used outside. Outside stays cool so won’t burn your deck.

5 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Cobb bbq is a good bit of kit. But must be used outside. Outside stays cool so won’t burn your deck.

Thanks Jon,had a look but that is not what I had in mind.

I imagine a square box with a door and a shelf inside that can be heated on the hob.

14 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thanks Jon,had a look but that is not what I had in mind.

I imagine a square box with a door and a shelf inside that can be heated on the hob.

Check out a Dutch Oven, does not look like you are expecting but can do Ribs, bake bread etc.

A Dutch oven is a thick-walled cooking pot with a tight-fitting lid. Dutch ovens are usually made of seasoned cast iron; however, some Dutch ovens are instead made of cast aluminium, or ceramic. Some metal varieties are enameled rather than being seasoned, and these are sometimes called French ovens

Cast Iron are better than the Aluminium ones

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Check out a Dutch Oven, does not look like you are expecting but can do Ribs, bake bread etc.

A Dutch oven is a thick-walled cooking pot with a tight-fitting lid. Dutch ovens are usually made of seasoned cast iron; however, some Dutch ovens are instead made of cast aluminium, or ceramic. Some metal varieties are enameled rather than being seasoned, and these are sometimes called French ovens

Cast Iron are better than the Aluminium ones

Thanks Alan. I think the Dutch oven will fit the bill if I insert a suitable sized wire cake rack inside to keep food from burning on the bottom of it.

I need to heat ready meals,lasagne,ribs in sauce etc.to make a change from my usual boat diet of bacon sandwiches and corned beef and beans.

• Happy 1

This type of oven was reasonably common at one time.  Like thisValor_602_cooker.JPG

In my limited experience, they were used on top of a wickless, non-pressure paraffin burner and quite capable of cooking a respectable roast dinner or a milk pudding.

I imagine that using one on a Primus type burner might be trickier as maintaining a low heat can be troublesome.  A spirit burner might be OK

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

This type of oven was reasonably common at one time.  Like thisValor_602_cooker.JPG

In my limited experience, they were used on top of a wickless, non-pressure paraffin burner and quite capable of cooking a respectable roast dinner or a milk pudding.

I imagine that using one on a Primus type burner might be trickier as maintaining a low heat can be troublesome.  A spirit burner might be OK

My gran cooked on one of them