DM1 Russel Newbery

Mike Harland

Featured Posts

I have lived on a sailing yacht for 15 years and I am now looking at narrow boats.

There is a boat for sail, 62ft, which has a DM1 Russel Newbery 9hp engine.

Coming off a 42ft yacht with a 40 hp engine, 9hp seems strange? 

Also are spares readily available for such an engine?

Regards Mike.

5 minutes ago, Mike Harland said:

I have lived on a sailing yacht for 15 years and I am now looking at narrow boats.

There is a boat for sail, 62ft, which has a DM1 Russel Newbery 9hp engine.

Coming off a 42ft yacht with a 40 hp engine, 9hp seems strange? 

Also are spares readily available for such an engine?

Regards Mike.

Depends what spares but many will be either from Motor Factors or some direct for RN who I think are sort of in existence.

However coming from sailing you should have a  better idea of watermanship that the typical new narrow boat owner but even though most modern narrowboats are very much overpowered I would want at least another 10hp (20 better) if i were tot ake such a boat on the river. Probably does not do emergency stops very well either.

RN are very much in existence - and making DM2's to order ........not all spares are available off the shelf, most can be obtained relatively easily and I'm pretty sure they can make anything.

The DM1 is a great little engine used by a number of narrow boaters not members here though.

62ft might be a bit of a stretch but it depends what it is 

More detail would help or PM me if you want to - clearly factors such as age and weight are as important as length.

Contact Dave Bixter at Granthams Bridge Boat Services (Hillmorton flight)- 01788 578661 might be an old number -  he owns RN!

Have fun

Just found a 60ftr in London on the duck with a DM1 - is that it - it looks a lighter build and not too heavy a fit out so might be OK - a chat with Dave is your best bet.

Edited by Halsey

They can't spell Newbery properly. Disgraceful.

It's got a girt big washing machine - so must be designed for marina living, 9HP'll be enough to get it there and / or motor to the pumpout...

Summat must be wrong £34K for a boat in Lunnon?

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

RN are very much in existence - and making DM2's to order ........not all spares are available off the shelf, most can be obtained relatively easily and I'm pretty sure they can make anything.

The DM1 is a great little engine used by a number of narrow boaters not members here though.

62ft might be a bit of a stretch but it depends what it is 

More detail would help or PM me if you want to - clearly factors such as age and weight are as important as length.

Contact Dave Bixter at Granthams Bridge Boat Services (Hillmorton flight)- 01788 578661 might be an old number -  he owns RN!

Have fun

Just found a 60ftr in London on the duck with a DM1 - is that it - it looks a lighter build and not too heavy a fit out so might be OK - a chat with Dave is your best bet.

Try 07812 039110. He might try and talk you round to a Kelvin as well!

• Haha 1