Coventry Canal - beautiful, exciting or tedious?

Philip

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I accept that, however you're clearly having a go. So go away.

I, like at least one other poster took your took your earlier comments at face value and then pointed out, perhaps too subtly for you that sarcasm is known as the lowest form of wit, (but of course the highest form of intelligence), according to Oscar Wilde.

So certainly wasnt 'having a go' as you put it, I rather think that started at post#46.

21 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I, like at least one other poster took your took your earlier comments at face value and then pointed out, perhaps too subtly for you that sarcasm is known as the lowest form of wit, (but of course the highest form of intelligence), according to Oscar Wilde.

So certainly wasnt 'having a go' as you put it, I rather think that started at post#46.

I refer you to my previous post

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Contrary to the words of the terrace chant “We speak with an accent exceedingly rare/If you want a cathedral we’ve got one to spare” technically Coventry only has one cathedral. It’s well worth a visit.

'an heir and a spare'

Not commonly known.

Post war Coventry City Council fully intended to fill in Bishop Street Canal Basin and build the new cathedral on top of it.

Some might say it would have been an improvement. 

If they had it would dramatically have altered the city and its profile.

Not only would Coventry have lost its canal basin. the inner ring road wouldn't have been built as it's unlikely that four lanes of 40 mph traffic passing within feet of the front of a cathedral would have got passed.

I believe that what made them rethink it was that the medieval city wall ran parallel with the inside of the ring road, so in effect the new cathedral would have been built outside of the ancient city boundary.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I have no dog in this fight but did read the earlier comment and immediately took it to be sarcastic, as it is now claimed to be. Obviously it could be misinterpreted but surely not by anyone who knew Durham.

1 minute ago, frahkn said:

I have no dog in this fight but did read the earlier comment and immediately took it to be sarcastic, as it is now claimed to be. Obviously it could be misinterpreted but surely not by anyone who knew Durham.

Fab, noted.