Coventry Canal - beautiful, exciting or tedious?

Philip

Featured Posts

What do people think of the Coventry Canal between Fazeley Junction and Coventry? All I have seen of this stretch is from the train, but from what I have seen and through looking at the map it looks like an unremarkable waterway, yet seems like it gets good numbers. The locks look tame and Nuneaton as a place doesn't exactly set the pulses racing. I have done the stretch between Fazeley and Fradley Junction once and to be fair this was very pleasant especially around Hopwas, but technically it's part of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal.

Is it as dull as watching paint dry or a lot better than it appears...and worth visiting for its own appeal rather than a route the Oxford Canal?

Edited by Philip

Coventry to Hawksbury Junction can be a bit challenging with rubbish, then on to Atherstone isn't too bad with a mixture of town and countryside. Atherstone locks are generally quite quick to empty but slow to fill and often low pounds due to the side ponds not being used anymore. Atherstone to Fazeley again is a mixture of countryside and towns, personally I like the setting of Glascote locks.

Not been down for some years so it may have changed.

The basin is the place where every resident of Coventry takes their dog  for 'exercise' and judging by the results pooper-bags have not yet arrived in Coventry. If you want to play hop-scotch around the turds, its the place to go.

The canal itself was full of TV's, Sofas, blue-plastic sheeting from the demolition / construction sites, domestic waste tipped over the 'back-fence' that is slowly rolling into the cut and pretty much anything else you can think of.

Once was enough.

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not been down for some years so it may have changed.

The basin is the place where every resident of Coventry takes their dog  for 'exercise' and judging by the results pooper-bags have not yet arrived in Coventry. If you want to play hop-scotch around the turds, its the place to go.

The canal itself was full of TV's, Sofas, blue-plastic sheeting from the demolition / construction sites, domestic waste tipped over the 'back-fence' that is slowly rolling into the cut and pretty much anything else you can think of.

Once was enough.

Somewhat of an exaggeration. Many don't even know the canal exists.

Before COVID 19 I used to visit the basin on Fridays and never had to dodge the "Richard the thirds."

Edited by Ray T

Did this stretch year before last. Pleasant enough, and I'm sure I'll do it again in future. Some sections worse than others for rubbish, but can't remember having to go down the weed hatch at any point. 

I liked Coventry Basin. Moored up next to the statue of James Brindley, which I kept forgetting was there and made me jump a couple of times as I saw his silhouette looming over my bedroom window. 

There was an excellent all you can eat sushi bar 10 mins walk from the basin but no idea if it's still there. 

Here's my view (for what it's worth), as a local (born in Nuneaton and lived about a mile away from the canal for many years)

I'd agree that the Coventry Canal is unremarkable -I wouldn't use the words beautiful, exciting or tedious, it's probably an 'averagely pleasant' waterway. 

It's also got a lot of interesting industrial history along its length, especially at the Coventry end. It's certainly worth boating the length into Coventry Basin.

Nuneaton as a town is much nicer than it's usually given credit for - it's worth walking into the centre from Boot Wharf, through the park.

And at Hartshill you can walk up to Hartshill Hayes country park which has good views down into the Anker Valley/ north Warwickshire plain.

So although maybe it's not a 'destination waterway', there's no need to rush through without stopping !

• Greenie 1

........ beautiful, exciting or tedious?

Why stop there?

Historical, picturesque, curvy, relaxing, challenging, varied.  I'd guess all apply to The Coventry or indeed most canals.

I've seen Durham from the train and from what I have seen and through looking at the map it looks like an unremarkable sort of city.  Looking down on a sea of tiled rooves from a viaduct all I could make out was chimneys everywhere.  That hardly got my pulse racing.  It's a bit like Nuneaton really without the massive grey slab sided cathedral.  Of course Nuneaton does have the superb man made Mount Judd (also known colloquially as The Nuneaton Nipple).

One person's meat is etc. etc. etc.  When I first boated on a canal in 1966 I was amazed at everything I saw, and even now I'm hardly interested in hurtling through to get to the next fleshpot.

2 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Here's my view (for what it's worth), as a local (born in Nuneaton and lived about a mile away from the canal for many years)

I'd agree that the Coventry Canal is unremarkable -I wouldn't use the words beautiful, exciting or tedious, it's probably an 'averagely pleasant' waterway. 

It's also got a lot of interesting industrial history along its length, especially at the Coventry end. It's certainly worth boating the length into Coventry Basin.

Nuneaton as a town is much nicer than it's usually given credit for - it's worth walking into the centre from Boot Wharf, through the park.

And at Hartshill you can walk up to Hartshill Hayes country park which has good views down into the Anker Valley/ north Warwickshire plain.

So although maybe it's not a 'destination waterway', there's no need to rush through without stopping !

I would agree with that, not the most remarkable waterway, but pleasent enough.

On the section from Hawkesbury to the basin, that is certain quite dirty compared to the rest, there is a lot of rubbish in the canal and around the towpath, but quite easy to navigate.  Under normal circumstance that basin is a fine place to moor, but perhaps right now a large city centre is not really where you want to be.

Lots of industrial interest at the Coventry end.

Some really good deep bits on the Coventry.  Pooley Hall colliery basin to Alvecote is one.  Nice to not be dragging the bottom.

The bridge holes in the woods at Hopwas on the other hand....

There are lots of good moorings in open country as well as near the towns en route.

Polesworth has some interesting features, a canal handy  garage for petrol and a decent butchers. Fazeley is OK for food shops.

The detached bit is pleasantly rural but no, not exceptional.

N

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Somewhat of an exaggeration. Many don't even know the canal exists.

Before COVID 19 I used to visit the basin on Fridays and never had to dodge the "Richard the thirds."

The Leicestershire car park is in Coventry?  ;)

I have just done the Coventry and Ashby in the last 3 weeks and today come up from Coventry basin and I’m heading south on the Oxford. Coventry basin was very quiet only 2 other boats, no dog mess but plenty of goose poo. Coventry itself is nothing to shout about there is a lot of re furbishment works going on in the city. The canal between Hawkesbury and the centre is filthy, we saw prams road signs shopping trollies. Between Fradley and the Ashby it was quite pleasant in places, we moored up in Atherstone  for the night and had no issues. Decent fish and chips from the fish inn, medium is big enough for two?.  We didn’t stop in Nuneaton it didn’t look very inviting. The Ashby was lovely.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

I have done the stretch between Fazeley and Fradley Junction once and to be fair this was very pleasant especially around Hopwas, but technically it's part of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal.

Not exactly. The bit between Fazeley Junction and Whittington Brook has always been part of hte Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, having been built by the BCN company when the Coventry ran out of money. The bit from Whittington Brook to Fradley was built by the Trent and Mersey company for the same reason, but the Coventry Canal Co bought it back quite early on, so that section has been a detatched portion of the Coventry Canal for most of its existence.

I like the Coventry. It’s relatively straight, wide and deep and has some decent stretches free of moored boats so overall it makes for pretty good cruising in my experience. Unremarkable it might be but large parts of it are pleasant enough and the mix of town and country is what canals are about for me. One can’t exist without the other.

JP

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Philip said:

What do people think of the Coventry Canal between Fazeley Junction and Coventry? All I have seen of this stretch is from the train, but from what I have seen and through looking at the map it looks like an unremarkable waterway, yet seems like it gets good numbers. The locks look tame and Nuneaton as a place doesn't exactly set the pulses racing. I have done the stretch between Fazeley and Fradley Junction once and to be fair this was very pleasant especially around Hopwas, but technically it's part of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal.

Is it as dull as watching paint dry or a lot better than it appears...and worth visiting for its own appeal rather than a route the Oxford Canal?

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Get off the train and have a look. Judge for yourself. 

Must have done it 30 / 40 Times over the years. It’s ok, Nuneaton can be exciting but not as bad as it used to be.

Shots fired at boat I think twice over the years, up near tamworth.

There are some great spots, the relief heading north out of Nuneaton, hartshill, and Grendon.

Atherstone has some lovely buildings in the centre, but we would never leave the boat there in the past, but I think the issues are historic.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No one mentioned the allotments. Atherstone bottom lock is bust at the moment. There are normally Volockies at Atherstone but they only do the first 4 locks.

Blimey, you are lucky, I've never seen them doing any more than the top two! ?

• Greenie 1

The Coventry was part of my first canal experience back in 1973 and for the last 6 years I have lived alongside it. 

In those years I have traversed it many  many times.

It is much improved over the years, even the bit from Coventry to Hawkesbury and through Nuneaton.

As other have said, a mix of urban, suburban and rural. From just beyond Nuneaton to Fradley it is all pleasant and safe.

21 minutes ago, Richard T said:

For railway fans you can moor at Alvecote and walk to the Statfold Barn Railway. It has a large collection of narrow gauge - generally 2ft- locos. Check for opening days before going https://statfoldbarnrailway.co.uk/

That looks like a fair stroll - in my years at Alvecote I never even walked to the Pretty Pigs, made do with the Barlow. 

15 hours ago, Rumsky said:

Forgot to mention, if you do go all the way to Coventry, the Transport Museum is well worth a visit. Opened again this week I believe.

There's more in Coventry that you realise. Yes, the transport museum is good and deserving of mor than a quick walk round. Perhaps it's because I had two makes of cars - Triumph and Alvis - that there was a bit of a focus for me.

The walk throught the shopping centre was pleasant (!) because the footways are wide  and you can ignore the shops...

That leads to the cathedrals The old reminds you what awful things people can do to each other and Basil Spence's new is a bit stark but airy. It has a side chapel with coloured bricks in lieu of windows - a theme which he repeated in a much larger building at the University of Sussex where I have sung for many years - but it's jolly dark thus difficult to read the music...

With a bit of care you can get from the canal basin to the above without walking along any road...