3-pin 12v socket to cigar lighter adapter?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Not sure if this helps the OP or anyone? I bought it to fast charge my Samsung S10, and it also charges a laptop with a USB-C charging socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LinkOn-Charger-Delivery-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B077ZRBPNB

Bless you Richard 

all good old stuff and it will help me get there...

keep safe n well

v/best wishes

David

• 6 months later...
On 11/08/2020 at 21:07, Alan de Enfield said:

[...]

The answers are in the RCD paperwork.

11 Receptacles/sockets

11.1 Receptacles/sockets and matching plugs used on d.c. systems shall not be interchangeable with those used on a.c. systems on the craft.

[...]

As a professional finder of loopholes && strange corner cases, I love this! It makes me want to have

1. 12V DC, as usual
  2. 240V AC, as usual
  3. 12V AC, as used (less frequently these days?) for halogen lighting in landlubber kitchens. MR16 and other lamps will cheerfully eat this.
  4. 240V DC
  5. Since I'm being silly, let's also have a high power audio amp with speakers that can be plugged in at various places around. Well it's AC and you can draw power off it when the volume's up... potentially also DC if that isn't being properly blocked.

all in one vessel. Clearly labelled and safe of course, but just to freak out the RCD inspector. (Why would I do this if I were having to pay...  maybe after I win the lottery and grow some strange hobbies)

240V DC you ask? I do know one person who did this in his house - I never saw it but he's a sensible, if slightly eccentric, technical chap. It was provided by solar panels, late 1990s? The switches in his toaster and kettle had long fused shut, which was inconvenient. He had to remember not to use the (electric) oven when the house was in DC mode, else the thermostat would fuse on. But all the existing (tungsten) 240V lamps were perfectly happy, and when the power grid dropped his was the only house on the street with light.

He used the immersion heater to dump the spare power into the DHW when his (ex-telco standby lead acid) battery was charged (possibly even to regulate the charge voltage? not sure). This eventually went wrong, fortunately in a self-limiting way, because the tank started to boil ?. The steam bubble at the top of the tank allowed the immersion heater to reach a temperature where it unsoldered itself (as he described it - but I'm surprised there was no thermal fuse).

Very bad things can happen when DHW tanks are boiled. I don't recall any mention of what happened to the batteries at this point.