You learn something new every single day!

johnmck

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, magnetman said:

Sounds like a bit of a <word removed> to me. 

That's a useful new oath: "You're a right Word Removed, you are"!

...and far preferable to what you originally wrote. Thank you for editing your post.

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

No you werent, if its for propulsion you wouldnt have had to listen to it for more than a couple of minutes as it passed you and carried on.

If he thinks he's an electric propulsion hero and needs to charge his batteries overnight then there are lots of marinas available who will be glad to offer him a silent hook up overnight.

Ar$e

? :clapping:

22 hours ago, johnmck said:

I bimbled on my lonesome from top of Foxton today.

Very quiet.

Stopped at the aqueduct for lunch, ner a boat in sight.

Bimbled on and moored in isolation. Did a bit of fishing, nice Bream landed along with numerous Perch. All in my world, was spiffing.

At 2045 a modern motor and butty arrive and moor behind me. Not too close, not a problem.

But then they start up a genny...

Now, I am not renowned for my tolerance. So went to said boat and spoke to the gent via his open side hatch. Yup, he has a cocooned genny. But tis audible from my boat. Says me, Can you switch it off please, it's gone 2000 hrs.

Reply. Its allowed, it's for propulsion!?

He switched it off. Not happy and told me to F off.

Was I wrong requesting he desist?

I am a bit of a "get even, not angry" type of guy.

If I had been you, and he hadn't turned his genny off, I would have been tempted to push one of the fish you caught up his exhaust after he had turned the genny off and gone to bed. ?

Pleiades Built by Mel Davies/an Other - Length : 21.3 metres ( 69 feet 11 inches ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.686 metres ( 2 feet 3 inches ). Metal hull N/A Electric power of 27 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 513337 as an Electric Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

from CanalPlan

• 2 weeks later...

Wandering down the Leicester line today, very hot, so was going faster to help my genny breathe to keep the aircon working for the cat and make the fridge more efficient. 

I saw one of the coal boats coming towards us and asked if I could moor alongside a black grey and red boat(warning him I had a large genny running), and he threw maggots and dead fish at me....telling me to feck orfff..

Actually, the above is a complete fabrication,  lovely to see you both again, ....we just made the restaurant(cant let them down at the moment), but would have loved to have stopped. Hope I didnt take your hooks with me as we tried to evade Callisto coming the other way.

See you again soon

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Wandering down the Leicester line today, very hot, so was going faster to help my genny breathe to keep the aircon working for the cat and make the fridge more efficient. 

I saw one of the coal boats coming towards us and asked if I could moor alongside a black grey and red boat(warning him I had a large genny running), and he threw maggots and dead fish at me....telling me to feck orfff..

Actually, the above is a complete fabrication,  lovely to see you both again, ....we just made the restaurant(cant let them down at the moment), but would have loved to have stopped. Hope I didnt take your hooks with me as we tried to evade Callisto coming the other way.

See you again soon

The sun was shining, the fish biting,  occasionally..

All was well. Even had an ice cream on the go.

Then  we heard them! The thump thump of two deep drafted craft, heading towards us from opposite directions, then passing right in front of me float! The older guy on the boat with his toy girl, was mouthing obscenities. Of course, due the noise of waves and our boat thwacking the piling, plus the smoke from the poor old knackered engine, we could not understand a word. 

Ali says thankyou for our new zigzag coachline. She was painting the side hatch when you charged past!

And nice to see you two as well. Shame you could not stop for a chat.?‍♀️?

Edited by johnmck
Add sentence.

P.S.

If the old guy and his lovely missus are in Crick, there will be silence!

Only place on the system that we have near zero internet or telephony. TV is awful as well.

We moor at Crick...

1 hour ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

But wasn't he quoted as saying his gennies were running for propulsion.

To charge his propulsion batteries, being an electric boat he has to charge them sometime, and his choice is to use petrol / diesel which rather negates the alleged benefits of electric propulsion.

If your generators are not connected directly to the electric motor, you can claim 100% 'domestic' for your fuel usage and get your 25% reduction in the licence fee.