You learn something new every single day!

johnmck

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think we are all interested in @Rick-n-Jo 's version of events.

I for one am, as one side of a story rarely paints the entire picture.

(But sometimes it does of course)

Interested...

When I was a scally , we lived by rules and consequences. 

We knew right from wrong.

Break the rules and you faced the consequences. 

Swearing at someone invited a consequence. 

But now as an adult, I sort of know this is wrong..

I suppose expectation of reciprocal politeness is no longer a norm.

Given the situation, yes, I could have been more tolerant, but why should I let standards slip?

But I will not tolerate being told to F off.

Never.

3 minutes ago, johnmck said:

When I was a scally , we lived by rules and consequences. 

We knew right from wrong.

Break the rules and you faced the consequences. 

Swearing at someone invited a consequence. 

But now as an adult, I sort of know this is wrong..

I suppose expectation of reciprocal politeness is no longer a norm.

Given the situation, yes, I could have been more tolerant, but why should I let standards slip?

But I will not tolerate being told to F off.

Never.

Nor would I.

I have tagged @Rick-n-Jo twice now into this discussion in the hope of eliciting their take on events but so far no response.

If they dont respond then people will decide as to why.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nor would I.

I have tagged @Rick-n-Jo twice now into this discussion in the hope of eliciting their take on events but so far no response.

If they dont respond then people will decide as to why.

To be fair, they are moored 10ft behind me. They are probably more than aware of this post. 

4 minutes ago, johnmck said:

To be fair, they are moored 10ft behind me. They are probably more than aware of this post. 

Do you project what you're looking at online onto the back of your boat?

2 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I'm still with you on this but I am curious as to why an ex police officer has to resort to naming and shaming on a canal forum. 

Why not?

If jo public told me to F off for requesting they comply with a regulation, it would become public. Just because forum membership  is involved makes not a jot of difference. 

• Greenie 3

10 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I'm still with you on this but I am curious as to why an ex police officer has to resort to naming and shaming on a canal forum. 

What has somebodies former occupation got to do with the price of fish?

2 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

The guy turned off the engine at your request   Everyone has a bad day sometimes, even on the cut. You have obviously. ? 

Nobody tells me to F off.

Its rude.

24 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Nobody tells me to F off.

Its rude.

Didn't you just post that he did tell you to F off, so what do you mean by "nobody" etc?

It certainly is rude, I probably wouldn't say it to a stranger, but it's silly to claim that nobody does when someone just has.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Didn't you just post that he did tell you to F off, so what do you mean by "nobody" etc?

It certainly is rude, I probably wouldn't say it to a stranger, but it's silly to claim that nobody does when someone just has.

I read that as "nobody tells me to F off and gets away with it without objections" which seems fair to me.

Reading it as "nobody ever would dare tell me to F off" seems a strange interpretation to me.

2 hours ago, PhilR said:

Why didn't he run the generator whilst cruising? Why wait until after 8:00 pm when he was moored? It will be interesting to know why.

Yeah, I wondered that too.  If the batteries are starting to fail was the genny running all the time he was cruising and the OP only noticed the sound after he had moored up?

I'd not want to be in a hurry to replace his traction bank either - 500 Ah at 48V of 2V traction cells is an eye watering outlay, but they appear to be the ones he put in in 2007 so that's good going!

If on the other hand he deliberately chose to cruise in silence on battery power for some hours then pulled in behind another boat at 9 pm and started his genny to recharge them then that's not excusable.

I await his side of the story, but he needs to give a good explanation.  Bluster won't cut it if the OP's story is correct - and I have no reason to doubt it.

I'm not that interested in the genny running after hours.  It happens.  They turned it off when asked.  The problem to me is their attitude.  Swearing at another boater who's made a request just isn't on. 

Of course we only have one side of the story so far.  Maybe there was provocation on both sides?

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

No.

I like to think I would have done the same in similar circs.

And so would I have done.  If we all just grin and bear it and let folk do what they want unchallenged they won't change their behaviour (although I do appreciate that some people would be nervous to challenge and it's not always guaranteed to be successful).

Well. Silently I must add, at 0710 hrs, they were gone.

I admire people who expend time and not a little cash , to fulfil their desire to cruise silently. When our boat was in the planning stage, I seriously looked at hybrid systems, even visiting Fischer Pandas UK base. The finances just did not add up.

Our battery bank is now nine years old, so needs a little TLC. But I live within  the constraints ageing batteries impose. What I do not do, is impose my lifestyle choice upon others.

So, good on you for investing in silent propulsion. But do not expect me, living within the rules, to tolerate you charging up your propulsion system, to the detriment of my enjoyment of tranquility,  because it's for your own enjoyment.  That is plain rude.

• Greenie 3

... and so is swearing at you. I did PM him a link to this thread last night, but so far no reaction, which has to be seen as an admission of guilt.

It will be fascinating to see what happens next:

1/ never returns  to CWDF

2/ tries to bluff it out (unlikely to work)

3/ say “really sorry I swore at you, I was having a bad day (cat/mother/pet gibbon just died / ran out of gin/whisky/milk/hair colouring or some other such tragic thing).

But just on a general point I don’t see the benefit of silent electric propulsion if it means you (and everyone else in the vicinity) have to endure generator running when you tie up. And pay massively more for it. And increase your carbon footprint and running costs by way of the inefficiencies at each stage of burning diesel to generate electricity to charge batteries  to run a motor, vs burning diesel to directly propel the boat.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

But just on a general point I don’t see the benefit of silent electric propulsion if it means you (and everyone else in the vicinity) have to endure generator running when you tie up. And pay massively more for it. And increase your carbon footprint and running costs by way of the inefficiencies at each stage of burning diesel to generate electricity to charge batteries  to run a motor, vs burning diesel to directly propel the boat.

You can then claim 100% non propulsion when buying diesel ...!

• Horror 1