You learn something new every single day!

johnmck

Featured Posts

I bimbled on my lonesome from top of Foxton today.

Very quiet.

Stopped at the aqueduct for lunch, ner a boat in sight.

Bimbled on and moored in isolation. Did a bit of fishing, nice Bream landed along with numerous Perch. All in my world, was spiffing.

At 2045 a modern motor and butty arrive and moor behind me. Not too close, not a problem.

But then they start up a genny...

Now, I am not renowned for my tolerance. So went to said boat and spoke to the gent via his open side hatch. Yup, he has a cocooned genny. But tis audible from my boat. Says me, Can you switch it off please, it's gone 2000 hrs.

Reply. Its allowed, it's for propulsion!?

He switched it off. Not happy and told me to F off.

Was I wrong requesting he desist?

2 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Very quiet.

Bimbled on and moored in isolation. Did a bit of fishing, nice Bream landed along with numerous Perch. All in my world, was spiffing.

At 2045 a modern motor and butty arrive and moor behind me. Not too close, not a problem.

Now, I am not renowned for my tolerance. So went to said boat and spoke to the gent via his open side hatch. Yup, he has a cocooned genny. But tis audible from my boat. Says me, Can you switch it off please, it's gone 2000 hrs.

No you werent, if its for propulsion you wouldnt have had to listen to it for more than a couple of minutes as it passed you and carried on.

If he thinks he's an electric propulsion hero and needs to charge his batteries overnight then there are lots of marinas available who will be glad to offer him a silent hook up overnight.

Ar$e

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Very quiet.

The 8 to 8 “rule” isn’t just about generators, it is about running engine when moored as well. So you were absolutely right to complain.

2 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Fair upset me...

I can sympathise but unfortunately there are an increasing number of selfish people about these days. You just have to stick to your guns and try not to let it spoil your day - which I appreciate can be easier said than done.

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

That's an interesting one, I think the 8 to 8 rule says something like "this is not intended to limit navigation" so just maybe if you are charging batteries ready for navigation then you could argue that its allowed, another case of the law/rules not keeping up with a changing world.

and If I shut the engine room side hatches can I argue that my engine is cocooned ?

.................Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

That's an interesting one, I think the 8 to 8 rule says something like "this is not intended to limit navigation" so just maybe if you are charging batteries ready for navigation then you could argue that its allowed, another case of the law/rules not keeping up with a changing world.

and If I shut the engine room side hatches can I argue that my engine is cocooned ?

.................Dave

075B8901-84E7-4EFE-A725-6C9AC71D3785.jpeg.b6549534d84217b88d86eb55e7efed37.jpeg

I’d say that last bit is about being allowed to start your engine to move the boat from the mooring. It does specifically preclude running the engine or generator to generate electricity

8 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Sod it, he has peed me off big style. Normally life is too short.

He is 513337

Pleiades.

I hope he is a member on here...

Send an email of complaint to CRT. Even if they don’t do anything significant, it might make you feel better. Include the details of language used.

• Greenie 1

Believe it or not, for a Scouser, I am moderately tolerant.

Had they moored in isolation, not a problem.

But to moor up, late evening, behind another boat, then fire up a genny, tis not on.

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

075B8901-84E7-4EFE-A725-6C9AC71D3785.jpeg.b6549534d84217b88d86eb55e7efed37.jpeg

Part a seems to cover it.

Nuisance. It's not complicated is it. 

It seems odd that they have to explain that you must behave considerately to others (boaters and non boaters). 

Why do people need to be told to do this??

This seems to be a dumbing down thing. 

Edited by magnetman

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

On line 2 mins ago. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Or will he just hide?

A 30Kw engine producing probably less than 1Kw from an alternator, is not efficient and has all the well known drawbacks of glazed bores, smoke, annoyed neighbours

Well that's what he said when he started..,

• Haha 1

The one that got my goat was the pratt at Stone moored next to me opposite all the houses who started his engine at ten pm because, he said, he needed hot water. Gave me a mouthful when I asked him to knock it off and left it running till 4am.

Only other time I've asked was a guy who moored up late Saturday night and started his engine at 6am Sunday. I lurched out of bed, asked him (a six foot eight monster, looked like your archtype evil biker) to turn it off, and he apologised, said he didn't have a watch, and turned it off.

Some people are unpleasant beings, and some aren't. You're quite right, and don't let it prey on the mind and spoil your sleep.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If he thinks he's an electric propulsion hero and needs to charge his batteries overnight then there are lots of marinas available who will be glad to offer him a silent hook up overnight.

But:

On 09/07/2020 at 18:36, Rick-n-Jo said:

5Kw 48V dc diesel gen to keep it all going when not on shore power. Runs for a couple of hours every day or two depending on usage.

Doesn't specify which two hours though ...

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

But:

Doesn't specify which two hours though ...

Why didn't he run the generator whilst cruising? Why wait until after 8:00 pm when he was moored? It will be interesting to know why.

Edited by PhilR