Widebeam hire on L&L from Bear Boating

IanD

Featured Posts

I'm sure this will bring down all sorts of wrath on my head, but I'm considering hiring nemoNOO (58' x 10') from Bear Boating next summer, and I wonder if anybody else has done the same? (or similar)

http://www.bearboating.co.uk/boats/nemonoo

Yes I know it's not narrow (boo) and it's got a wheel instead of a tiller (boo!) and the fitout may be far too posh for some (boo!!) and it's expensive (my problem!!!), but for a gentler week pootling along the (wide!) L&L with more time for stops instead of our usual hammering through locks all day (HNC, Rochdale...) it might make a nice change, and four of us would be *very* comfortable. It's certainly less hideous (and narrower...) than a lot of the widebeams out there, in fact I think it looks quite good (without the pram hood), but I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who's hired it -- if there is anyone on here...

I'm concerned about having a wheel instead of a tiller, so any feedback about this would be welcome -- I'm used to knowing and feeling exactly where the rudder is pointing and you don't get feedback like this with a wheel, and all the granite worktops and Nespresso machines and girly buttons in the world won't make up for this if I hate steering it...

[it seems that Bear Boating do have a very good reputation and excellent boats, that's not what I'm worried about...]

14 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'm concerned about having a wheel instead of a tiller, so any feedback about this would be welcome -- I'm used to knowing and feeling exactly where the rudder is pointing and you don't get feedback like this with a wheel, and all the granite worktops and Nespresso machines and girly buttons in the world won't make up for this if I hate steering it...

You'll be fine, because you understand it's not a car.  It handles like a boat, so steer it like a boat and allow it time to react to the steering and you won't make a hash of it.

If you find you keep over-correcting, just do less steering and more waiting.  They are very nice boats from Bear, and some complete numpties eventually figure out roughly which way to point them so it's all good.

To be honest I'd be tempted to go the other way and go and play on the River Aire for a week's hire but I'm not sure if they'd let you - I don't recall ever seeing it below Granary Wharf and the website doesn't mention the river at all.  Bingley 3 & 5 rises and a bazillion(ish) swingbridges get you to Skipton which is lovely.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I'm sure this will bring down all sorts of wrath on my head, but I'm considering hiring nemoNOO (58' x 10') from Bear Boating next summer, and I wonder if anybody else has done the same? (or similar)

http://www.bearboating.co.uk/boats/nemonoo

Yes I know it's not narrow (boo) and it's got a wheel instead of a tiller (boo!) and the fitout may be far too posh for some (boo!!) and it's expensive (my problem!!!), but for a gentler week pootling along the (wide!) L&L with more time for stops instead of our usual hammering through locks all day (HNC, Rochdale...) it might make a nice change, and four of us would be *very* comfortable. It's certainly less hideous (and narrower...) than a lot of the widebeams out there, in fact I think it looks quite good (without the pram hood), but I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who's hired it -- if there is anyone on here...

[it seems that Bear Boating do have a very good reputation and excellent boats, that's not what I'm worried about...]

They are a fine company with a good reputation. The boats are well turned out and to a high spec. Ive not hired from them personally but last year I did help one of hirers down the locks into Gargrave whilst I was out for the day.

He did seem to struggle with the wheel steering, with it seeming to need a lot of turns to achieve limited change of direction and he confirmed this when I commented on it. I suppose its something that you may get used to. He didnt mention if his boat had a thruster and I cant recall which boat it was but it was definitely a wide beam.

(As a complete aside the couple that run/ran the company popped up on a Grand Designs repeat the other day. They featured in an episode a couple years ago when they built a house on a Cornish clifftop. I dont know if they still run the company).

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

"nemoNOO has wheel steering and a bow thruster in order to make the boat handling a pleasure."

Really?

My point exactly... ?

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

You'll be fine, because you understand it's not a car.  It handles like a boat, so steer it like a boat and allow it time to react to the steering and you won't make a hash of it.

If you find you keep over-correcting, just do less steering and more waiting.  They are very nice boats from Bear, and some complete numpties eventually figure out roughly which way to point them so it's all good.

To be honest I'd be tempted to go the other way and go and play on the River Aire for a week's hire but I'm not sure if they'd let you - I don't recall ever seeing it below Granary Wharf and the website doesn't mention the river at all.  Bingley 3 & 5 rises and a bazillion(ish) swingbridges get you to Skipton which is lovely.

We did the L&L about 5 years ago starting from Barnoldswick and loved it, but this time want a bit more time in places like Skipton. The swing bridges are a bit of a pain, especially when they break down and you have to wait for CART to turn up and fix them... ?

Wheels on a wide beam are a great idea.

Preferably 4 then it can trundle down roads instead of canals.?

But the L&L was designed for wide short boats so enjoy your cruising, its not really a wide anyway.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

6 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

Looking at their website it seems to be already booked for most of next summer.   Only the very occasional week available then and solid for the rest of this year.

Correct, my booking was pretty much the only week free all summer next year...

On 23/07/2020 at 19:54, Tracy D'arth said:

Wheels on a wide beam are a great idea.

TD'

They would enable them to travel by road between the Northern and Southern wide waterways, yes.

In my rather limited experience of wheel steering, leaving the helm is a bit easier as the rudder is less likely to wander than with a tiller. That is one advantage of wheel steering. The disadvantage is that it's less direct and harder work for close quarters handling.

4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

If this photo is to be believed it's not only wheel steered but hands-free wheel steering...

nemo-rearview-002.jpg

Going by the wake and prop wash it's under little or no power, probably just drifting towards the lock slowly, in which case the last thing you want to be doing is sawing at the wheel... ?

Won't be paying £100 extra for the pram hood though...

Edited by IanD

Hired one of their narrow boats quite a few years ago. Easily the best we’ve hired and owners very friendly and helpful. Will show and advise about any handling concerns you have. Lovely area to cruise with lots of swing bridges. Beware, one or two of which will close on you if not careful! followed a boat who had smashed a window from one swinging closed.

2 hours ago, RAB said:

Hired one of their narrow boats quite a few years ago. Easily the best we’ve hired and owners very friendly and helpful. Will show and advise about any handling concerns you have. Lovely area to cruise with lots of swing bridges. Beware, one or two of which will close on you if not careful! followed a boat who had smashed a window from one swinging closed.

I've only heard good things about Bear Boating, looking forward to giving them a try. I'm well aware of the L&L swing bridge traps -- and having to wait several hours for CART to come and fix one in Skipton that wouldn't open at all... ?

Edited by IanD