Compression joint size

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Just fitted an Eberspacher... 

I already have a diesel feed from the tank which has a blanking cap...(photo)

The fuel pipes you see are the too and from engine and are both 5/16 ( looks thicker as it's closer the camera .)

The connection from the tank is reduced to 5/16

Anybody tell me the likely thread size on they blanking cap ?

Thank you all.

Bob

IMG_20200723_152145.jpg

BSP, either 3/8 or 1/2  for my money.  Can you measure the blanking nut across the flats, using an adjustable and a tape/ruler if you don't have a caliper. That will enable a more definitive answer.

N

6 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Hi all.

Just fitted an Eberspacher... 

I already have a diesel feed from the tank which has a blanking cap...(photo)

The fuel pipes you see are the too and from engine and are both 5/16 ( looks thicker as it's closer the camera .)

The connection from the tank is reduced to 5/16

Anybody tell me the likely thread size on they blanking cap ?

Thank you all.

Bob

IMG_20200723_152145.jpg

It looks to be a crimped plug in a cap fitting, not one I am familiar with. But I think I see a fitting behind the cap screwed into a female thread in the tank like the other two connections. I would guess that the tank thread is 1/4"BSP female. Does that help?

TD'

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think its in the side of the tank at the bottom so no stand pipe.

but shouldn't it have a standpipe so as to pass bss and not suck stuff off bottom of tank 

This 3rd unused connection could be the tank drain. The OP will need to put a tap on it anyway if he uses it to feed the Eber. Bad idea as it will empty the tank with the heater and leave no fuel for the engine.

I would leave it as it is and drill the tank and thread the hole with a tap  higher up, with say a 1/4" bsp or 3/8" bsp tap and fit a fuel shut off tap.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Bad idea as it will empty the tank with the heater and leave no fuel for the engine

That's far less of a problem on a ditch-skip than a seagoing boat.  I agree it's best practice, but if you starve your engine of fuel 10 feet from the bank in a 3 foot ditch it's not really a huge issue!

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's far less of a problem on a ditch-skip than a seagoing boat.  I agree it's best practice, but if you starve your engine of fuel 10 feet from the bank in a 3 foot ditch it's not really a huge issue!

And approaching a weir, stopping in a lock? Its fine until it happens!  Then you may have to bleed the engine! Not to mention the crap in the bottom of the tank getting in the heater filter.

TD'

26 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

So....if I was to tap a "T" connection into the engine feed....that goes immediately into a cut off tap....that would be better and ok ?

That's not "by the book", but it's how I chose to install my Webasto.  I just don't let the boat tanks get too low without topping them up again - I have never needed to put more than three-quarters of a tank in at once since the day I bought the boat five years ago.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's not "by the book", but it's how I chose to install my Webasto.  I just don't let the boat tanks get to low without topping them up again - I have never needed to put more than three-quarters of a tank in at once since the day I bought the boat five years ago.

I figured....that may ultimately be how I do it. Means I will will have two shut off valves...main engine fuel then the Eberspacher off a "T". ...

Thanks.

?