Windows to portholes

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, dmr said:

Guns in the side hatches, that's what we need, sort out all those buggers who don't slow down when they go past.

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think @Sea Dog has torpedo tubes on his.

Belfast was built with 12 6 inch guns, 12 4 inch guns and 6 21 inch torpedo tubes. But that's the other Belfast, the one with the home mooring by Tower Bridge.

• Haha 1

On 23/07/2020 at 09:52, mrsmelly said:

Buy a boat with portholes, thats what I did. I then realised it was a mistake and the next two boats have nice big windows so not like living in a cave.

That really depends on how many portholes you have and what size they are. I have 7 x 15" portholes on each side of 40ft length cabin and they let in plenty of light.

The only mistake with portholes is not having enough of them or not specifying the right sizes, not the portholes themselves. I had bus windows on my first boat and I'd never consider having them again.

Edited by blackrose

23 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

They'll just speed up so you'll miss, what with your boat being thrown around. Bow and stern chasers, loaded with grapeshot to clear their rear deck after they've passed and your boat has settled down.

Meh, chainshot to blow off the solar... start a business in used panels.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

That really depends on how many portholes you have and what size they are. I have 7 x 15" portholes on each side of 40ft length cabin and they let in plenty of light.

The only mistake with portholes is not having enough of them or not specifying the right sizes, not the portholes themselves. I had bus windows on my first boat and I'd never consider having them again.

I have bid double glazed portholes 1 window and 2 sidedoors, I would prefer all windows for the better light and ventilation. Its all down to personal preference really 

I only have 12" portholes, I don't seem to have Mr S's problem with lack of light with portholes. but then I did use light painted colours rather than dark wood. The picture below is of the Saloon which is located in the middle of the boat. 

cabin4 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Looks like he missed a couple of rivets out of the top left hand corner.

Or did he do it deliberately so thst he could "enjoy" the nostalgia of leaking bus windows? ??

I noticed that too, its very irritating. I wonder why because other than that its a very neat job and looks good. Maybe you are right

53 minutes ago, dmr said:

I noticed that too, its very irritating. I wonder why because other than that its a very neat job and looks good. Maybe you are right

I wondered too. 
The other windows are evenly done and look good. 

C3D73071-1248-4C83-B076-FC694E1DFAA0.jpeg

0829A220-B19A-423D-AF1E-A8EACA5F1C90.jpeg

Edited by Goliath
I should say ‘more’ evenly done.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

My guess: the corner was slightly bent so the extra two bolts pulled the surfaces together. 
?

Nah, the missing bolts look like missing bolts but the "extra" bolts look like they belong, all nice and evenly spaced.

...............Dave

20 minutes ago, dmr said:

Nah, the missing bolts look like missing bolts but the "extra" bolts look like they belong, all nice and evenly spaced.

...............Dave

Yes the “extra” bolts are more aesthetically pleasing but they only appear on one of twelve corners.
I’ll ask why when I pass next. 
?

I 'm happy with my portholes, ( and my Caldwell windows), but long term, I'd like to replace plastic with glass with an engraved star as I have seen on other boats, also need oak trim liners, tx

Also some of glass in windows need replaced (wear and tear), I suppose windows need to

be removed?

Edited by LadyG

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 50ft dutch boat with ship's windows. Bloody heavy things (I bought two more to fit to another boat). Lovely bronze frames, glass about 30mm thick. 

Secure as you like, plus they opened to let the breeze through (or to let you lean out and feed the ducks/swans). 

Loved that boat.

• Greenie 1

On 23/07/2020 at 09:52, mrsmelly said:

Buy a boat with portholes, thats what I did. I then realised it was a mistake and the next two boats have nice big windows so not like living in a cave.

Interesting view. When we were looking for a boat I liked portholes just because of the older style look. We saw lots of boats and liked boats with all sorts of window styles. We ended up getting a boat with 10 x 15" portholes - I was wary about the light, but now having got the boat it really isn't a problem and not as dark as I envisaged and am glad with the choice. We personally find there are more benefits than disadvantages:

• More secure (cant smash and climb through it)
  • Cooler in Summer and Warmer in winter
  • Little condensation
  • Easy and inexpensive to replace glass (5 secs), we carry 2 x spare windows
  • Easy to take out entirely for really hot days or for washing windows!
  • Don't have to draw curtains when mooring as passers by can't really see in unless they come right up close. 
  • Much more cosy!

Just thought this might be useful??!!

20200621_130722.jpg

Edited by robtheplod

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Interesting view. When we were looking for a boat I liked portholes just because of the older style look. We saw lots of boats and liked boats with all sorts of window styles. We ended up getting a boat with 10 x 15" portholes - I was wary about the light, but now having got the boat it really isn't a problem and not as dark as I envisaged and am glad with the choice. We personally find there are more benefits than disadvantages:

• More secure (cant smash and climb through it)
  • Cooler in Summer and Warmer in winter
  • Little condensation
  • Easy and inexpensive to replace glass (5 secs), we carry 2 x spare windows
  • Easy to take out entirely for really hot days or for washing windows!
  • Don't have to draw curtains when mooring as passers by can't really see in unless they come right up close. 
  • Much more cosy!

Just thought this might be useful??!!

20200621_130722.jpg

To be fair they are round windows, not proper solid brass portholes by the look of them. My portholes were about 10 or 11 inches at a guess and "traditional" (stupid phrase) 

Portholes. All my doubled glazed units lift out in seconds. Views change over the years and your next few boats may well be different? ?

• Greenie 2

52 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

To be fair they are round windows, not proper solid brass portholes by the look of them. My portholes were about 10 or 11 inches at a guess and "traditional" (stupid phrase) 

Portholes. All my doubled glazed units lift out in seconds. Views change over the years and your next few boats may well be different? ?

I have large doubts glazed portholes and one large window, the window wins for light and ventilation every time. In my opinion it looks better and if I won enough dosh I would change to all windows in a flash 

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have large doubts glazed portholes and one large window, the window wins for light and ventilation every time. In my opinion it looks better and if I won enough dosh I would change to all windows in a flash 

Have you not got a bet on a certain outcome you may well be winning some dosh on around January time? ?

56 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Point of order m’lud. That’s a word, not a phrase... :D

?

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2020 at 10:57, ditchcrawler said:

There is a rather smart example of that at Streethay where sheets have been cut to cover window apertures and then what looks like allen screws inserted about every 50mm around the perimeter, it looks as if they have also made their own portholes using the same technique

smallDSCF4255.jpg

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

smallDSCF4255.jpg

Brilliant (in concept) quite in line with what a real 'traditional'  boat would do ('cept topsides were wooden), but it's in keeping with the idea.

If there's some distaste with the rivets / bolts then Mr. Kedian will do a magnificent welding jow there you won't see the join.

I don't inderstand why folks don't want to look out of the window(s) in some areas, but mebe retain portholes in the engine area for tradition's sake.

OK bus, windows are 'not quite right', but - as in life - compromises are needed, yet achieving what you want to do with your boat - cruising wise

SHOCK horror - cruising - what the (expletive) is that....

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...