Speeding Boat, Best Excuse

lpp1612

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Because some of us like to launder our clothes and dry them , use of a tumble dryer means that clothes can come out folded and put away, no need to iron.

Phil

Just hang them on hangers after squeezing the life out of the wet clothes. They don't need ironing. It's a lie your mum told you 

13 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway your argument reminds me of a shouter a few years ago. He said (shouted) “Slow down!”. I said “we are at tickover” so he grumped “Well you need to get a smaller prop then!”. So clearly our boat is not fit for purpose in that it can’t go slow enough to satisfy the most incompetent moorers. I’ll put it up for sale and buy a pedalo I think.

I can't help think that you seem to get shouted at a lot?

I have been asked (not shouted) to slow down, but it's incredibly rare.  Maybe once in the last 5 years. 

Am I doing something wrong?

46 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I can't help think that you seem to get shouted at a lot?

I have been asked (not shouted) to slow down, but it's incredibly rare.  Maybe once in the last 5 years. 

Am I doing something wrong?

Since it is purely random, the occurrence rate will be related to cruised miles. Last year we did Fazeley to a Manchester to Liverpool to Ripon and back to Fazeley. That wasn’t far enough to encounter a random complainer. But then we did a local trip to Gt Haywood, another into Birmingham and back, another to Hawkesbury. Nope, still not far enough as we had no complaints last year. But I think it was 3 years ago when we did the K and A to Bristol and were crawling along behind a widebeam, some nutter in a yacht-type shed boat announced that he was going to find us and shit on our boat. The guy insisting we get a smaller prop was probably 5 years ago.

So if you want to be complained / shouted at more, you need to cruise more.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Since it is purely random, the occurrence rate will be related to cruised miles. Last year we did Fazeley to a Manchester to Liverpool to Ripon and back to Fazeley. That wasn’t far enough to encounter a random complainer. But then we did a local trip to Gt Haywood, another into Birmingham and back, another to Hawkesbury. Nope, still not far enough as we had no complaints last year. But I think it was 3 years ago when we did the K and A to Bristol and were crawling along behind a widebeam, some nutter in a yacht-type shed boat announced that he was going to find us and shit on our boat. The guy insisting we get a smaller prop was probably 5 years ago.

So if you want to be complained / shouted at more, you need to cruise more.

So actually, this is a very rare occurrence for you.  So does it bother you then?

Sounds like we cruise a similar distance during the year.

Edited by doratheexplorer

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

So actually, this is a very rare occurrence for you.  So does it bother you then?

It can be a bit irritating when it’s unreasonable, and briefly spoils the relaxation, but otherwise not much. If you recall, what was behind my posting on this thread was the frequency of complaints about “speeding boaters” on here, I used my personal experiences simply to indicate the irrationality of some people’s objections.

• Greenie 1

On 22/07/2020 at 22:35, Goliath said:

If I remember correct, it’s the stretch around Shebden that the worst. 
From the Anchor to Shebden Wharf takes an age. 

Yes that is a really bad section and also often suffers from bad side winds which means you have to go faster... and there seem to be a lot of very unhappy boaters on those moorings.