Speeding Boat, Best Excuse

lpp1612

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I think the point is, Nick, that you are changing your behaviour because of onboard equipment that is not relevant to navigation. 

Yes that is correct, but the behaviour still remains within acceptable norms. So what?  I’m pretty confident I can say that in the 10 years we’ve owned the boat and extensively cruised the system, we have never been asked or shouted at to slow down when the tumble drier has been on. Shouting to slow down is a purely random thing that is not consequential on our speed, only on the issues of the shouter.

So that is not the same as the boat not being fit for purpose, that was just a silly snipe.

Frangar makes a habit of trawling through the forum looking for opportunities to snipe at me. Less so recently, but for some reason he doesn’t like me even though we’ve never met, and he tries not to miss an opportunity to let me know it.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

22 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I think the point is, Nick, that you are changing your behaviour because of onboard equipment that is not relevant to navigation. 

Of course one way to fix that is to go past moored boats at 1000 rpm even when the dryer isn't on ....

:giggles:

What does it matter what engine rpm you are passing boats? 

I think it is safe to say that we would be travelling faster then Nick is travelling at 1000rpm if we were doing our minimum 700rpm passing a line of moored boats.

• Greenie 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Of course one way to fix that is to go past moored boats at 1000 rpm even when the dryer isn't on ....

:giggles:

That’s what I did on the Shroppie past the endless lines of boats yesterday. Provided the canal is reasonably wide and deep, which much of the Shroppie is, the moored boats are unmoved. Well, except those with 3’ slack and mooring lines at 90 degrees, perhaps. Anyway, no-one shouted at us or even gave us the evil eye.

11 hours ago, lpp1612 said:

Asked a speeding boat to slow down today, on the Shroppie,close to Barbridge, his reply was' I've got my washing machine on so I have to speed!' I was almost speachless.

You think he was speeding on the wash cycle.......wait 'till he hangs it out to dry...

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I'm just wondering why a washing m/c let alone a tumble drier is needed on a narrowboat?

:unsure:

Err perhaps because some of us like to shower and put on fresh clothes occasionally?

Anyway it was useful 3 days ago when I stepped off the back of the boat without making it to the bank. Everything (except me) in the washing machine, then drier, such that a few hours later I could pretend nothing had happened.

But mainly because for the first 8 years of ownership we almost exclusively flew to the boat without hold baggage, thus the boat had to be fully loaded with clothes and bedding that were washed on board. The alternative would be to spend holiday time in a laundrette, which didn’t appeal.

Edited by nicknorman

I have noticed now that we are moored on a shallower, narrow pound that the speed of those passing makes little difference (unless truly extreme), to the movement of our boat. The least disturbance is caused by those maintaining a constant, reasonable pace, rather than a fast approach and dramatic slow down. 

The argument for going on tickover becomes absurd when you factor in the reality that a passing canoe tends to cause far more disturbance than any normal craft!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, BWM said:

The argument for going on tickover becomes absurd when you factor in the reality that a passing canoe tends to cause far more disturbance than any normal craft!

You could yell at the kayaks to slow down too!

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

What does it matter what engine rpm you are passing boats? 

If it sounds fast you get yelled at.  Ask anyone with hydraulic drive - the propeller doesn't even need to be turning but at higher engine revs the shouters pop up like meerkats.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You could yell at the kayaks to slow down too!

If it sounds fast you get yelled at.  Ask anyone with hydraulic drive - the propeller doesn't even need to be turning but at higher engine revs the shouters pop up like meerkats.

I'm sure we have told this before but we passed a moored narrowboat and they had heard us drop our engine revs and they popped out of their side hatch and thanked us. The following narrowboat who did not drop their revs but was travelling slower than us anyway was given a string of abuse about not slowing down for moored boats.

There is no pleasing some people and you can not please everyone all of the time.

37 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I'm just wondering why a washing m/c let alone a tumble drier is needed on a narrowboat?

:unsure:

Funnily enough I always wonder the same thing when people have them in houses. What a ludicrous idea, surely everyone humps their washing to a laundry a couple of times a week? 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Having cruised the Shroppie for the last few days and seen numerous permanently moored boats whose owners have no idea how to tie up their boats, I am starting to think that one should just pass these linear housing estates at normal speed. Those linear moorers (they aren’t boaters) who don’t like moving boats could either learn to tie their boats up properly, move into a marina or preferably buy a caravan.

I tend to agree. I go past moored boats at tickover but there are always some knobheads who's natural reaction is to shout "slow down" at anything that moves past their boats. I'm at the stage where as soon as I see someone opening a window or hatch as I'm going past I'm going to shout "Learn to moor up properly!"  ?

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I tend to agree. I go past moored boats at tickover but there are always some knobheads who's natural reaction is to shout "slow down" at anything that moves past their boats. I'm at the stage where as soon as I see someone opening a window or hatch as I'm going past I'm going to shout "Learn to moor up properly!"  ?

I'm deaf as a board in one ear and half of the other in addition to standing on top of an air-cooled lister, so I now just smile and tell them the time, whatever they say.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Funnily enough I always wonder the same thing when people have them in houses. What a ludicrous idea, surely everyone humps their washing to a laundry a couple of times a week? 

Surely a convenient rock would be quicker and cheaper ?

• Haha 1

What's the rush anyway? If you need to race around the country to meet deadlines, get a camper.

If the washing machine is a problem then hand wash the clothes like we do. It saves worrying about banks of batteries and solar etc. A gas fridge helps too. 

I seem to hear of more collisions these days,  I wonder if that's due to boats going faster than they need, or is it it due to washing machines? ;)

we have always slowed down when passing boats  be it one on its own or  20 ,going past one near kinver .slow down you ffing ugly bitch i will pull your f--king head off if i could get to you you ffing bast-- d-two weeks later on the llangollen  ,i heard slow down you ffing ugly bitch and all the rest of it .were upon mr pulled over went and knocked on this guys boat to see what is problem was .he would not come out or even open is doors .found out later ,this guy is well known for doing this .seems he as nothing better to do ,as any one else come across this guy i was told ,  he is pissed most of the time 

14 hours ago, lpp1612 said:

Asked a speeding boat to slow down today, on the Shroppie,close to Barbridge, his reply was' I've got my washing machine on so I have to speed!' I was almost speachless.

got to keep the revs up on the Travelpower

Best excuse from a speeding boater is to deny he/she is responsible for rocking the boat and blame the innocent moorer for not tying his boat to the friable bank with less than 4 lines over a length exceeding 2 boat lengths.

Heard that one on here...................................................................

TD'

1 minute ago, JamesFrance said:

Could someone please explain how to tie a boat up properly when there are no rings bollards or piling available?  

Ask Nick, he's such an expert his boat never moves. He perhaps uses a spare halo?

TD'

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

What is this washing concept?

3 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

Could someone please explain how to tie a boat up properly when there are no rings bollards or piling available?  

Big pins, four of them, two at each end, with the ropes at say 30 degree angle to the bank, and fenders.

12 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I use pairs of crossed pins set forward and aft with an extra pair as a spring at one end depending on which is the most convenient position.