Speeding Boat, Best Excuse

lpp1612

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, lpp1612 said:

Asked a speeding boat to slow down today, on the Shroppie,close to Barbridge, his reply was' I've got my washing machine on so I have to speed!' I was almost speachless.

That’s like I only have half a tank of fuel so it has on power in the engine

These days so many boats don’t bother to slow down I am minded to start asking the few that do to speed up for continuity . 

The days of slowing for moored boats seem to have gone no idea where it came from but I have given up shouting or firing high powered  water pistols and just bought more and bigger fenders and brace brace brace . 

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, RufusR said:

These days so many boats don’t bother to slow down I am minded to start asking the few that do to speed up for continuity . 

The days of slowing for moored boats seem to have gone no idea where it came from but I have given up shouting or firing high powered  water pistols and just bought more and bigger fenders and brace brace brace . 

I have been boating for 50 years and, whilst not a live aboard, for example in recent years we have been out and about on the boat for more than 100 days per year. In all that time if I have ever felt the need to complain to someone that they are going too fast I don’t remember it. Maybe a couple of times in 50 years, who knows.

So why are speeding boats a big issue for you and a non-issue for me? Could it be because you don’t know how to tie your boat up properly, or is there another explanation that I can’t think of?

• Greenie 4

37 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We have a washing machine and a tumble drier. The washing machine doesn’t use a huge amount of power but the drier is 2kw. It runs from the Travelpower. Although the TravelPower will produce 2kw at idle, it is a known issue that running a Beta 43 at idle with a big electrical load rapidly accumulates damage the crankshaft. We therefore try to avoid it and, although we normally pass moored boats at idle (850rpm) with the drier on we slow down earlier but pass at 1000rpm which is still fairly slow but not that slow.

So what you are saying is your boat isn’t fit for purpose....perhaps you shouldn’t cruise when using the travelpower as it seems you don’t have full control of your craft......

• Angry 1

42 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The best one I've seen was a boat we could hear 1/2 a mile away, as he came past, with a large wash, we shouted "c♤☆t, wa♧^&◇r, etc"...and he shouted "I'm really sorry but I'm sinking and have to go this speed"

Next day we found out that it was true.

He had bought a 45ft cruiser stern boat for £5k, upgrading from a plastic, and had taken it for blacking at a place near Gayton. They had pressure washed it, revealing lots of holes. They quoted £12k for overplating. He rang around, and Tim at Dodford quoted less than half the price. On finding out he was thinking of going elsewhere place near Gayton put the boat back in so he had no choice other than to get to Tim's and lifted out before the boat sank.

?

Sounds like a case for fothering. Bet that doesn't happen often on canals.

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

Has anyone seen recently a BTP boat on the canals, I've only ever seen one once and that was years ago?

I should think that after the demise of BWB and it all becoming a charitable trust, British Transport Police would have had their delegated authority restricted to The Railway Industry.

I seem to remember the launch based at Trent Lock  appearing on the market many years ago, and for a very decent price.

1 hour ago, jacko264 said:

That’s like I only have half a tank of fuel so it has on power in the engine

Is it?

I guess it's easy for you to say.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The only dreadful line of boats on the Shroppie near Barbridge is at Golden Nook. I think it's about two miles long, and if anyone thinks I'm going past that lot at much less than 3mph (my normal cruising speed) they're off their heads. The only other clogged up bit is the approach from the link, and that's relatively short.

Anyone who moors in a vast online mooring should be able to cope with normal speeds - the bottom of the Shroppie is as bad. I don't mind crawling past shorter lines but some are now ridiculous.. The most aggravating are the marinas, built to take boats offline, who then park boats online as well...  

If you live on a boat in the middle of a mile or two of others, never go off the mooring because it's a permanent home, why not just stick a gas pipe at each corner and immobilise the thing?

Tolerant bugger, that's me.

If I remember correct, it’s the stretch around Shebden that the worst. 
From the Anchor to Shebden Wharf takes an age. 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

If I remember correct, it’s the stretch around Shebden that the worst. 
From the Anchor to Shebden Wharf takes an age. 

Having just done it in the past couple of says it does seem worse than when we did it 3 years ago. I sure it has grown. So if you have to do it again, prepare to be amazed. Or dazed, one of the two.

Just remembered I got shouted at on the Bridgewater coming out of Lymm, another long row of boats. 
I weren’t going fast, but I weren’t just ticking over either. I certainly weren’t disturbing the moored boats. 

But I weren’t gonna dally. 
Some old geezer shouting from his bedroom window. 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

We have a washing machine and a tumble drier. The washing machine doesn’t use a huge amount of power but the drier is 2kw. It runs from the Travelpower. Although the TravelPower will produce 2kw at idle, it is a known issue that running a Beta 43 at idle with a big electrical load rapidly accumulates damage the crankshaft. We therefore try to avoid it and, although we normally pass moored boats at idle (850rpm) with the drier on we slow down earlier but pass at 1000rpm which is still fairly slow but not that slow.

Of course on the Shroppie, unless one is in a cutting or embankment there is a virtually continuous line of moored boats that never move and resent moving boats. After the first 20 miles of being at idle it one starts to lose patience with it.

You don’t make it clear whether you were temporarily moored or a permanent moorer on the Shroppie. If the latter I suppose it isn’t surprising that you don’t understand the issues that moving boats have.

Having cruised the Shroppie for the last few days and seen numerous permanently moored boats whose owners have no idea how to tie up their boats, I am starting to think that one should just pass these linear housing estates at normal speed. Those linear moorers (they aren’t boaters) who don’t like moving boats could either learn to tie their boats up properly, move into a marina or preferably buy a caravan.

Damn TravelPower ? If you have a hydraulic PRM you can fit a trolling valve so that you can have high engine revs and low boat speed, but that does of course involve working a third control in addition to your speedwheel and gear lever.  Our washing machine just goes to sleep when the voltage falls, and then carries on when it comes back, but sometimes the breadmaker makes a dodgy loaf.

.................Dave 

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Having just done it in the past couple of says it does seem worse than when we did it 3 years ago. I sure it has grown. So if you have to do it again, prepare to be amazed. Or dazed, one of the two.

It’s been 3 years since I was last there. 
Last time I was at Olive’s, the Anchor. 
I had to wind at Shebden early in the morning so had to pass the line twice. 
Made sure I left the Anchor early too, just to wake them up twice. 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Just remembered I got shouted at on the Bridgewater coming out of Lymm, another long row of boats. 
I weren’t going fast, but I weren’t just ticking over either. I certainly weren’t disturbing the moored boats. 

But I weren’t gonna dally. 
Some old geezer shouting from his bedroom window. 

Doesn’t happen often to us because, despite deep draft and big prop (ie we do move a fair bit of water), the engine has a hospital silencer and can barely be heard especially from the port side. But we did have a shouter last week on the Staffs and Worcs. passing a long line of boats at tickover, barely a ripple on the water, no boats being moved. Until we got to a cruiser that did move quite a bit and the owner shouted that we were going too fast etc. To which we gave the standard reply of “well tie your boat up properly.”

To which he replied “my boat isn’t tied up because I’m trying to paint the bow”. We suggested he phone CRT and get the canal closed so he could paint his bow in peace without the annoyance of any boats creeping past.

Or to put it another way, one will always encounter the odd nutter whatever speed one does.

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

Damn TravelPower ? If you have a hydraulic PRM you can fit a trolling valve so that you can have high engine revs and low boat speed, but that does of course involve working a third control in addition to your speedwheel and gear lever.  Our washing machine just goes to sleep when the voltage falls, and then carries on when it comes back, but sometimes the breadmaker makes a dodgy loaf.

.................Dave 

That wouldn’t work because the shouters react to engine sound, not boat movement. If you pass them in neutral at 1mph but with the engine at 1500rpm they will automatically shout. It’s a reflex.

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

That wouldn’t work because the shouters react to engine sound, not boat movement. If you pass them in neutral at 1mph but with the engine at 1500rpm they will automatically shout. It’s a reflex.

You need to get a proper engine that never goes at more than 800rpm, that confuses them ?  or what about a Kelvin?, you could hammer past at 300

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

If me passing your boat at 1000rpm is an issue perhaps you should learn to tie your boat up properly as your mooring technique clearly isn’t fit for purpose? Or get a caravan. After all, it isn’t an issue for 99% of the occupied moored boats we pass, and the other 1% are just miserable inadequate people desperately trying to compensate for their sad pointless lives by shouting at random passers-by. Which of those two categories are you in?

Nothing to do with how I tie up but everything to do with your boat not being able to be under full control from what you have said....I’ve obviously touched a nerve. 

• Unimpressed 1

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Nothing to do with how I tie up but everything to do with your boat not being able to be under full control from what you have said....I’ve obviously touched a nerve. 

Everything to do with you not missing an opportunity to snipe at me. Your life must be really sad.

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

If me passing your boat at 1000rpm is an issue perhaps you should learn to tie your boat up properly as your mooring technique clearly isn’t fit for purpose? Or get a caravan. After all, it isn’t an issue for 99% of the occupied moored boats we pass, and the other 1% are just miserable inadequate people desperately trying to compensate for their sad pointless lives by shouting at random passers-by. Which of those two categories are you in?

I think the point is, Nick, that you are changing your behaviour because of onboard equipment that is not relevant to navigation.