Another boat consistently becoming unmoored, what to do?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

Other than tying someone else's boat up again, should we be doing something else about a boat that keeps coming unmoored? Contact CART, or would that actually be a pain in the butt for the owners? I think they should just know that another spot might be a better idea. Context:

We moored near another boat that only had the centre line tied to the metal canal lining thing. The back pins had come out. We hammered them in new places and tied the boat up. They got yanked out again and the centre line also snapped somehow. Managed to moor the drifting boat up yet again. It seems unlikely to come unmoored a third time, but the soil is soft and boats go past quite fast.

I'd suggest informing CART, who in turn will be able to contact the boat's owner. You've been helpful beyond the call of duty already, but you don't want to keep on helping out every day.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

.....but I cant imagine you mooring with a centre line Roland...

There's a boat parked opposite us on a 14 day stretch that's very loosely tied. It's only been there about 5 months and re tied several times. Some people have more money than sense. 

Whilst it is helpful to re-moor a boat that has unexpectedly come undone, I am of the opinion that an owner who moors their boat in a ridiculously inadequate way needs to learn the error of their ways. When they discover that their boat is no longer where they left it, they might get the message. Whereas if they come back to find their boat, repeatedly retied by others, still in the same place, they will never learn.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Whilst it is helpful to re-moor a boat that has unexpectedly come undone, I am of the opinion that an owner who moors their boat in a ridiculously inadequate way needs to learn the error of their ways. When they discover that their boat is no longer where they left it, they might get the message. Whereas if they come back to find their boat, repeatedly retied by others, still in the same place, they will never learn.

I have been known to repin boats twice.

The second time the pins get driven about 6" below ground level with my sledgehammer to secure them properly and give the owners a hint that it's come loose a few times.

Why don't more people use crossed pins in soft edges?

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The second time the pins get driven about 6" below ground level with my sledgehammer to secure them properly and give the owners a hint that it's come loose a few times.

I always do that if I repin a boat

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Or I could just leave a note!

Thanks all, I'll probably just notify C&RT (avoiding giving away details on here for privacy reasons, but I had thought about it).

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Because they're blurry IGNORANT.

Folks get attracted to the canals because it's relaxing, but they don't bother to research the 'things that need doing'

MEBE because I've been boating for too long, when ther weren't acres of ARMCO (perhaps miles is better) to moor next to, but I think I make a reasonable effort to make it 'secure'. IMO people stop the boat, bung a bit of string round a short lenght of scaffold pole and b*******f to the pub or go home.

It's the way 'we' live noways.

The concept of "do it the way that the locals do it" is long since gone.

I / we live in the sticks and am disgusted by folks from towns dump their rubbish at the top of our lane, ride their motorbikes fast down out little private road, let their pets defercate where they will - but then get stroppy even if one says 'good morning'

Blurry townees....

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

.....but I cant imagine you mooring with a centre line Roland...

No sky hook not been invented!!
However if there are badly spaced rings we sometimes use a chain round the gunnel rings around where mast should be, and strap to the towpath ring, in case front pin gets pulled out.
Hate doing it, but we do get to experience the centre line to armco dance !!

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Try doing that at Leighton Buzzard and you will discover that even so, passing boats may still pull them out!

21 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I inadvertently did this to another boat near Brewood on the Shroppie a few years ago.

We were on our shareboat with a schedule to keep, so were boating when it was a bit windy.

We came across a boat in a line of moored boats which had come loose at one end and was straddling the cut.

I recovered the rope dangling in the cut, which still had the mooring pin attached to it.

However try as I might I could not pull the boat back into its mooring against the wind. So I took the decision to undo the remaing line and let it get blown into a vacant slot on the other side of the cut, where I tied it securely up.

I often wondered what the owner thought when he returned to a vacant slot and then noticed his boat tied to the opposite bank.

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers
  • Haha 2

On 22/07/2020 at 19:39, OldGoat said:

It's the way 'we' live noways.

The concept of "do it the way that the locals do it" is long since gone.

I / we live in the sticks and am disgusted by folks from towns dump their rubbish at the top of our lane, ride their motorbikes fast down out little private road, let their pets defercate where they will - but then get stroppy even if one says 'good morning'

Blurry townees....

I didn't notice you had moved in next door

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, cuthound said:

I inadvertently did this to another boat near Brewood on the Shroppie a few years ago.

We were on our shareboat with a schedule to keep, so were boating when it was a bit windy.

We came across a boat in a line of moored boats which had come loose at one end and was straddling the cut.

I recovered the rope dangling in the cut, which still had the mooring pin attached to it.

However try as I might I could not pull the boat back into its mooring against the wind. So I took the decision to undo the remaing line and let it get blown into a vacant slot on the other side of the cut, where I tied it securely up.

I often wondered what the owner thought when he returned to a vacant slot and then noticed his boat tied to the opposite bank.

not quite the same, but a couple of years ago on passing Wolverton, a springer was badly moored and the bow line line was hanging down into the cut with the stern line just abut made fast.       With the wind and the cut just there it was easier to push the boat fully round and make fast (the pin was on the end of the bow line, also had enough line to rig a fwd spring too) so when the owner came back their boat was pointing the other direction towards Cosgrove.... 

• Haha 1