Use of red diesel

wandering snail

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

EV's are specifically excluded from the resale of electricity legislation and can be re-charged out at whatever price the provided wishes. This is as an incentive to pay for the infrastructure.

I have posted the legislation a number of times when this is discussed.

Part of a letter from Ofgem

Screenshot (292).png

I was aware of that but these things can change.  . . (At one time landlords could mark up residential supplies)

12 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Which has a cost involved.  If the utiltiies have to provide charging points, they will pay CRT less royalties.

What proportion of the towpaths do they cover?

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I was aware of that but these things can change.  . . (At one time landlords could mark up residential supplies)

And the reason for that was that a Landlord is in a monopoly situation, with EV's they have the choice of recharging anywhere from any supplier of a power-point, it is not a monopoly situation so the legislation has been determined as not applicable.

If a tenant uses a standard domestic plug / socket then the supply still comes under the MRP regulations, but, if the landlord supplies a specific EV charging point then it does not fall under the MRP regulations.

13 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

You are spot on that the technology is there...and my Tesla M3 is brilliant. Did the run from Jockland to Droitwich. 20 mins supercharge at Tebay gave me an additional 250 miles range for half the cost of diesel and I charge at a 16A commando socket in the marina at 14.7p per KWhr.

......but this is only possible on a car where they are selling nearly millions. All nbs are too bespoke and it would be impossible to get them all built in a way that supercharging would be possible.....unless a common system would be adopted. The BMS on the Tesla is a wonder to behold. The car is basically a computer that they have added wheels to rather than a car that they have tried to shoe horn a big battery bank into. My Tesla has 10 times the battery capacity of my boat which has 480Ahrs of Li's. At today's prices that would be £20,000 worth of batteries.

Canal boats are just so 'low tech' and I think they will remain so. In 200 years we will still have our boats of today, chugging along with loud, smelly  diesels just like we have the locks and bridges of 200 years ago. Some hope!!!!

A couple of months ago we were quoted £30,000 to change our boat propulsion system to 'electric' and we would still need a generator......

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the reason for that was that a Landlord is in a monopoly situation, with EV's they have the choice of recharging anywhere from any supplier of a power-point, it is not a monopoly situation so the legislation has been determined as not applicable.

If a tenant uses a standard domestic plug / socket then the supply still comes under the MRP regulations, but, if the landlord supplies a specific EV charging point then it does not fall under the MRP regulations.

And presumably the landlord then makes it a condition of the lease that only the charging point is used to charge the car.