Help in understanding Canalplan

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Will someone please clarify my understanding . I have punched in Autherley junction to Leek tunnel ( northeast ) Return.      I am getting  7 days 40 minutes  at 8 hours cruising per day . Plus  4 days cruising on first day , and 4 days cruising on the last .  Is this first and last day included in the 7 day total , or additional to it ? Thanks

Edited by pomkitanner

Doing some playing with and without the first\last day hours it looks like it adds extra days as if you look at the overnight stops you get more stops when adding the first\last day hours in.

If you change to use start and end dates then it plans hours per day constrained by those dates including the number of hours in the first and last days.

4 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

Will someone please clarify my understanding . I have punched in Autherley junction to Leek tunnel ( northeast ) Return.      I am getting  7 days 40 minutes  at 8 hours cruising per day . Plus  4 days cruising on first day , and 4 days cruising on the last .  Is this first and last day included in the 7 day total , or additional to it ? Thanks

I'm not sure what "4 days cruising on first day , and 4 days cruising on the last" means.

In any case, I've just put it in myself and it's 7 full days.  3.5 days there and 3.5 days back.  So you would simply turn at Leek and not stop there.

Capture.JPG

4 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

I think the word plus in this quote from the calculation answers the question.

This will take 56 hours and 39 minutes which is 7 days, 39 minutes at 8 hours per day plus 4 hours on the first evening and 4 hours on the last morning.

The 56 hours is 8 days  so the plus implies to me the 2 x 4 hours are on extra days.

Edited by Jerra

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I think the word plus in this quote from the calculation answers the question.

This will take 56 hours and 39 minutes which is 7 days, 39 minutes at 8 hours per day plus 4 hours on the first evening and 4 hours on the last morning.

The 56 hours is 8 days  so the plus implies to me the 2 x 4 hours are on extra days.

It doesn't say anything like that when I put it in.  Is it something to do with putting start and finish times in?

In any case, the whole trip takes c.56 hours which is 7 days.  Not 56 + 4 + 4 = 64 hours.  So it's 7 days. 

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It doesn't say anything like that when I put it in.  Is it something to do with putting start and finish times in?

In any case, the whole trip takes c.56 hours which is 7 days.  Not 56 + 4 + 4 = 64 hours.  So it's 7 days. 

If you enter parameters as 7 hours per day and 4 hours for the first and last days then it spreads the journey over more days, you can see this by checking the overnight stops.  As I posted above if you put start and end dates instead of hours per day then it keeps the journey to with in those dates and uses the hours for first and last days specified.  Therefore it is possible to have the 7 day trip take 8 days depending on how you configure the cruising days.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you enter parameters as 7 hours per day and 4 hours for the first and last days then it spreads the journey over more days, you can see this by checking the overnight stops.  As I posted above if you put start and end dates instead of hours per day then it keeps the journey to with in those dates and uses the hours for first and last days specified.  Therefore it is possible to have the 7 day trip take 8 days depending on how you configure the cruising days.

Aha.  I see now.  Canalplan makes it confusing then in the way they write it.  It's therefore:  A half day, the 6 full days, then a half day.  So 8 seperate days.

Capture.JPG

13 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

How strange.   Are you using the website or is it possible to download as an app?    I am using the website.

Not sure what you mean by start and finish times, the website just asks how many hours on first and last day.

image.png.35a6d8cc20cab595674772deb7b4df81.png

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

How strange.   Are you using the website or is it possible to download as an app?    I am using the website.

Not sure what you mean by start and finish times, the website just asks how many hours on first and last day.

I'm using the website.  I'd just never even noticed the hours on the first and last day as I'm not interested in that.  When I use it, it's as a quick way of seeing total miles and locks and it gives me an estimate of total hours travelling.  Numbers of days are irrelevant to me and my travelling days and lengths are pretty haphazard.  So for Autherley to Leek I'd be seeing around 30 hours and then probably take about 2-3 months to do that journey.  I'm in no rush.  About 3 hours travelling a week on average seems about right.

18 minutes ago, Jerra said:

In the route editor cha have the trip length settings to be of the other options

Screenshot_20200722-093827.png.64dfe3fd4b4fb81dfebd578d1c9b11ff.png

OK. thanks, I had put in the first and last days as 4 hours because that's about the time allowed by a hire company on those days . Pick up time is usually after 3 pm . and drop off time around 10 am . However I better understand the wording now .

One thing to point out is that you have planned a route to the end of the Leek branch of the Caldon. That's fine if that's what you want to do, but most would go down the main line to Froghall either instead of or as well as the Leek branch. Adding on a round trip to Froghall would make the whole journey 65 hours and 36 minutes.