Fuel on the Thames and is the Wey open?

waterdog

Featured Posts

Hi All,

We are currently on the Thames at Abingdon and heading south, we had planned to fuel up at the services next to Annie's tearoom but they appear to be closed permanently.

Does anyone know anywhere on the way to Reading that is definitely open for fuel? We're not desperate but would like to fill up sooner rather than later.

Also, has anyone got any info on the Wey navigation, i.e. is it open and can you still buy a Wey visitors licence at Thames lock? 

The N.T. website says open for navigation and that you can get a licence at Thames lock but after the hassle of trying to get a Thames licence from EA I want to be sure, otherwise we will just go onto the K&A at Reading instead.

I have phoned and emailed the N.T. navigation office and Thames lock but no reply from either. 

Wey Navigation is definitely open, but I think the NT Navigation Office is still shut.  No reason why there shouldn't be access from the Thames.  You should be able to get the licence from Thames Lock - and you can't get it from anywhere else at the moment - so I guess they can't always get to the phone immediately.

• Greenie 1

We left the Wey years ago -but AFAIK Thames is open 9 -5 and the lockie will be glad to relieive of a fee and sell / hire you a lock key (extra long 'cos the lockgear is very heavy. I've looked at the application form but it's not very helpful, sorry.

For fuel - either ring 07921 694 287 or 07902 851 914 - that's Chris Iddon  who runs a fuel boat up and down the Thames.

Failing that Better Boating on the LHS 300yds down from Caversham Lock on the LHS. There's nowt else...

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Paringa said:

Caversham Boat Services - 5 mins before Caversham Lock

My choice would be

Better boating - 5 mins down from Caversham Lock

Not sure that CBS are desparately competitive - but would be glad to be corrected - their supplies come from PLUTT (not PLUTO which was WW2 Pipe Line Under The Ocean) so cost a bit more for getting the lorry hose wet......

• Greenie 1

Just now, waterdog said:

Thanks all, just had an email back from N.T. confirming that navigation is open and the licence can still be purchased at Thames lock,

Next stop Caversham for fuel .......

I may be a bit of a pedant, but - even now there will be some water flowing, plus enivirably someone clogging up the forward end if his lay by

sooo

I always go well beyond the end of his island,

turn around - the stream will push the back end around for you

motor up gently to hhis pontoon like an expert.

It's a working yard so there will be nobody waiting for you, thus you'll have to work you own lines - but there are plenty of cleats for you to use

Oh - and the ponton floats -so it wobbles slightly.

Get it right and you'll amaze the locals

image.png.85240bf099affaa8bfe074d592c6ec8c.png

26 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I may be a bit of a pedant, but - even now there will be some water flowing, plus enivirably someone clogging up the forward end if his lay by

On any flowing water you should always moor up with the bow into the flow.

Is that a sunken boat on the pontoon ?

Thames Lock on the Wey is definitely open because I passed through it this afternoon. A licence must be purchased at Thames Lock - cash is currently not being accepted but cards are fine. And the Wey is now open all the way to Godalming following the restoration of the collapsed weir above Millmead Lock.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On any flowing water you should always moor up with the bow into the flow.

Is that a sunken boat on the pontoon ?

Looks like it's been moved, quick work :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Better+Boating+Co./@51.4628614,-0.958366,112m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48769b25d9537313:0x8a256d89be6da542!8m2!3d51.463218!4d-0.95831

45 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

sooo

I always go well beyond the end of his island,

turn around - the stream will push the back end around for you

motor up gently to hhis pontoon like an expert.

It's a working yard so there will be nobody waiting for you, thus you'll have to work you own lines - but there are plenty of cleats for you to use

Oh - and the ponton floats -so it wobbles slightly.

Get it right and you'll amaze the locals

Is there room to turn a 60ft boat just after the island or is it down to the k&a junction then back up ?

10 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Looks like it's been moved, quick work :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Better+Boating+Co./@51.4628614,-0.958366,112m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48769b25d9537313:0x8a256d89be6da542!8m2!3d51.463218!4d-0.95831

Is there room to turn a 60ft boat just after the island or is it down to the k&a junction then back up ?

Yes, Loadsa room. I'm 60 ft and / but I move joust a little bit further downstream so that I can see what's coming up and sometime (depending on the season) I have to go into reverse gently to pull away from the ovehanging leaves.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for everyone's help,

We just got fuel at Caversham boat services I didn't want to risk the extra half mile to Better Boating as I think we were pretty close to running out. Time to carry a spare jerry can of fuel I think.

A word of warning for anyone thinking about the Thames, there is no fuel to be had between Oxford and Reading. :(

24 minutes ago, waterdog said:

A word of warning for anyone thinking about the Thames, there is no fuel to be had between Oxford and Reading. :(

If the place at Abingdon is closed, that should be Eynsham and Reading. Nothing in Oxford (on the Thames). The boatyard at Eynsham runs out fairly regularly, one might persuade the hire boat place next door to sell some, and that's it. Nothing upstream from there at all.

18 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

If the place at Abingdon is closed, that should be Eynsham and Reading. Nothing in Oxford (on the Thames). The boatyard at Eynsham runs out fairly regularly, one might persuade the hire boat place next door to sell some, and that's it. Nothing upstream from there at all.

True, I was thinking of Oxford as in the canal but if you join the Thames via dukes cut and head south then nothing from Enslow till Reading.

18 hours ago, waterdog said:

True, I was thinking of Oxford as in the canal but if you join the Thames via dukes cut and head south then nothing from Enslow till Reading.

True. There is a fuel boat, Merchant, that does the Thames. Apparently we just missed it. No idea of the frequency of trips.

We filled up at Eynesham. The business in Abingdon is not reliable. We are told.

Edited by Nightwatch

28 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

True. There is a fuel boat, Merchant, that does the Thames. Apparently we just missed it. No idea of the frequency of trips.

We filled up at Eynesham. The business in Abingdon is not reliable. We are told.

They're both a strange lot. At Abingdon  the fuel layby is a pain to get on becayse there's a slipway  at the lower end that's only just below the water and hordes of unused dayboats at the other, thus it's awkward fo a 60 footer. Can't remember what the prices are as we don't stop there anymore.

The yard above Eynsham only has the remains of a landing and the pump gear is around the corner. The guy who served me was somewhat grumpy - a shame because they're quite helpfull really...

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We phoned Merchant but they were at teddington. 

According to the cafe owner at Abingdon the boat services next door have been shut for months.

One of the yard staff is now employed in the cafe apparently.