I need an LPG BOAT gas engineer...

James H

Featured Posts

Please does anyone know an 'LPG BOAT' registered gas engineer that'll come out to Oxford, on the Oxford Canal??? I need a new combi boiler fitted. I would fit myself but I am told for my insurence and boat saftey to be valid it must be fitted by an 'LPG BOAT' engineer, and the last person I found was LPG but not LPG BOAT.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, James H said:

I am told for my insurence and boat saftey to be valid it must be fitted by an 'LPG BOAT' engineer

The first bit may be true (depends on your insurer), the second bit most certainly isn’t. However, you may feel safer having it done by someone else. 

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The first bit may be true (depends on your insurer), the second bit most certainly isn’t. However, you may feel safer having it done by someone else. 

Does it not depend on whether it is a liveaboard or not...?

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Check the Gassafe Register ticking the options for "LPG" and "Boats" to find someone who has the ticket for both.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Once you've done a basic search for gas safe registered fitters in Oxford you need to narrow the search. Click on Choose Appliance, then on the LPG radio button, then choose boat. This will narrow it down to fitters with both LPG and Boat qualifications on their ticket. It isn't the most intuitive web interface.

Jen

Screenshot_2020-07-21_14-57-06.jpg.91f9163e509084743b9f7c84f6b6f543.jpg

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

10 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Does it not depend on whether it is a liveaboard or not...?

Nope. OP stated that “for the boat saftey to be valid it must be fitted by an 'LPG BOAT' engineer“. That is incorrect. For the BSSC to be valid, the installation must be safe and leak-free. The examiner doesn’t ask to see invoices to prove who did the work. 

• Greenie 1

Just had a quote to connect a new cooker to existing pipe work after I'd removed all redundant pipes back to the cooker point.

So it's just bayonet fitting with new hose to existing pipe work and test. 

£525 was the sum quoted and they agreed the remaining pipe was suitable for installation purposes

Does this sound about right?

Tempted to DIY but obvious Gas Safe legal issues. As a electrician I have another company to certificate my work as I only do specific installations, wondering if I could go down this route. 

1 hour ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Just had a quote to connect a new cooker to existing pipe work after I'd removed all redundant pipes back to the cooker point.

£525 was the sum quoted and they agreed the remaining pipe was suitable for installation purposes

Tempted to DIY but obvious Gas Safe legal issues. As a electrician I have another company to certificate my work as I only do specific installations, wondering if I could go down this route. 

Read the manufacturer's installation carefully, my cooker was wrongly installed, though it passed three or four BSC examiners, those who did not know. The armoured hose with bayonet was not the correct method, aparently, it also was not suitable as it cannot be examined for deterioration. I paid £100 for the work, including a new test point at the cooker. He was  a gas safe BSC examiner, the Certification was £160, time on board, over three hours,  I would expect to pay up to double that 'down south.'

Edited by LadyG

Juno has no gas system - at the last BSS inspection the surveyor told me the key things he'd look for if I fitted one myself. Ipso facto it is presumably entirely legal to do this. My insurance only says I must have a valid BSC, so the solution seems to be to get a new certificate as soon as the gas system is installed.

I would prefer not to DIY however, so I too am looking for a competent person to fit a cooker and water heater. 

Edited by magpie patrick

8 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Sounds ridiculous to me, assuming it doesn’t include the cost of the new cooker. It’s just plumbing, not hard. You can buy a manometer for £30 or so, to test for leaks afterwards.

There is no law against DIY. If you are a live aboard the law (GSIUR) says you must be competent. If you are not live aboard the law doesn’t apply. (Presuming this is a boat, not a house). BES is a good source of bits

https://www.bes.co.uk/natural-gas-lpg/lpg

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, James H said:

Please does anyone know an 'LPG BOAT' registered gas engineer that'll come out to Oxford, on the Oxford Canal??? I need a new combi boiler fitted. I would fit myself but I am told for my insurence and boat saftey to be valid it must be fitted by an 'LPG BOAT' engineer, and the last person I found was LPG but not LPG BOAT.

Many thanks.

We use Tom Keeling, Small Craft Services - he is has repaired our Vanette cooker and he also carries out our full Boat Safety Certificate examination.

www.smallcraftservices.com

Edited to add that it would be worth talking to him if you plan to fit it yourself - we fitted our own Morco water heater and Tom subsequently checked and certified it.

Edited by NB Alnwick

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Sounds ridiculous to me, assuming it doesn’t include the cost of the new cooker. It’s just plumbing, not hard. You can buy a manometer for £30 or so, to test for leaks afterwards.

There is no law against DIY. If you are a live aboard the law (GSIUR) says you must be competent. If you are not live aboard the law doesn’t apply. (Presuming this is a boat, not a house). BES is a good source of bits

https://www.bes.co.uk/natural-gas-lpg/lpg

Price quoted was just for installation / hooking up to existing pipe. Feel competent enough to fit. 

Found the company on gas safe register and thought I'd try other companies other than marina based ones.

Either way I'm not paying that amount for an easy install. New hose kit complete is only £25 on eBay alread

As for testing I'll dress up as batman and use a lighter a la Del boy. "You know it makes sense"

20 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Once you've done a basic search for gas safe registered fitters in Oxford you need to narrow the search. Click on Choose Appliance, then on the LPG radio button, then choose boat. This will narrow it down to fitters with both LPG and Boat qualifications on their ticket. It isn't the most intuitive web interface.

Jen

Screenshot_2020-07-21_14-57-06.jpg.91f9163e509084743b9f7c84f6b6f543.jpg

Thanks Jen I'll give that a go. ☺

And thanks for everyones replies, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

We use Tom Keeling, Small Craft Services - he is has repaired our Vanette cooker and he also carries out our full Boat Safety Certificate examination.

Edited to add that it would be worth talking to him if you plan to fit it yourself - we fitted our own Morco water heater and Tom subsequently checked and certified it.

Tom is a nice and competent bloke and does decent surveys.

5 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

I just gave him a call? Is he based near Oxford? Also we are liveaboards, not sure if that changes anything or not! Its such a simple job that I don't fancy paying an extra 400 pounds for someone to connect 3 pipes! 

If you kill yourself you won't be worried, if you kill your family you may be a little upset (much as the Gas-Safe fitter who bodged his generator) was upset and in court when he killed his wife and daughter.

Its more about how competent you are (or feel), if anything goes wrong and it goes to court it would be difficult to convince the Jury you were competent if the gas had leaked etc etc.

If it doesn't leak or explode then you can probably feel that you are competent.

Unseen - gas is the main thing on a boat that can easily cause death, it can only be your choice whatever any 'weird blokes' on a forum tell you.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, James H said:

Also we are liveaboards, not sure if that changes anything or not!

As Nick has already pointed out, if you are a liveaboard then the law states that the fitter, whoever that is, must be ‘competent’.

5 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

As for testing I'll dress up as batman and use a lighter a la Del boy.

I watched a gas fitter do just that (well, he used a lit taper) after plumbing up the fryer burners in a chip shop. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unseen - gas is the main thing on a boat that can easily cause death, it can only be your choice whatever any 'weird blokes' on a forum tell you.

Well, that and CO. But if it’s just a cooker, CO a is unlikely to be an issue