What sort of TV programmes do you watch

OldGoat

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Better half watches Emmerdale, I tolerate it. 

My better half also watches Emmerdale. And Corrie and Neighbours and Home and Away. She only gave up on EastEnders and Holby City because she couldn't keep up with them and had a huge backlog of recordings. Holby definitely reached over 50, might even have been 100.

I don't tolerate any of them. 

I do like a number of American series such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, 24, Breaking Bad, Justified to name just a few. My all-time favourite is The West Wing, watched it about 4 times over the years.

Recently finished watching Battlestar Galactica for the 2nd time (for me, 1st time for Mrs LR). On Blu-Ray bought about 7 years ago but it is also now available on iPlayer. 

The chief officer usually watches corrie and emmerdale  and so I usually watch them too.   But we watch far less tv on the boat compared to home.

When alone I watch very little tv.

• Greenie 1

Having moved into a house a couple of weeks ago we havnt got a telly. We have been looking round briefly at stuff but havnt watched owt now for over two weeks so we may not bother with one. Its ninety percent crap anyway. I find that there is always something more interesting to do at present such as eating in pubs that we havnt used before.

Tonight we will be watching ‘Echappées Belles’ a regular Saturday evening travel programme. Daytime we watch TV Nouvelle Aquitaine, which has daily films about our little corner of France, which are made by a neighbour which is fun, as we see people we know on TV.

Only Connect is excellent, Universally Challenged too, but Paxman is annoying. Other programmes include Food Network, Who’s line is it anyway, Wheeler Dealers, and various antique programmes.

Viewed via satellite and digitally via landline.

One of the best things I ever did was to throw out my two TVs at home, about three years ago. Certainly never missed one on the boat. They were a pair of massive Sony CRT things attached to digiboxes that would have probably lasted until the heatdeath of the universe. Took up loads of space for a load of rubbish TV and ads. Friends keep offering me their old but perfectly good tellies, and, although appreciative of the gestures, I do have to explain that I don't miss one or want one at all. That doesn't mean I don't watch stuff at home or on the boats. Certainly able to keep up with breaking news and enjoyed Euro 2020 on the laptop through a mobile hotspot. There is a huge amount of interesting stuff on YouTube, which is where I consume most content. There are music concerts from everyone you can imagine, tons of science and history lectures from international authorities, lots of boats and boatbuilding stuff (been watching a guy in Bulgaria building Proas recently), then and now I'll even dip into a few episodes of Poirot, olds news panel quizzes like Mock the week or stand up comedy (copyright, cough!) but also stuff like RHLSTP where Richard Herring has a guest on for a chat of a comedy bent or Lex Fridman's far more serious, science type interviews. I grew up being asked "Why don't you just turn off the TV set and do something more interesting instead?" Took me decades to act but glad I did.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Which Tim?

Sorry, should have been more precise. Tim Smelly.

54 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Probably the one in deepest Wales, now getting an internet signal about once a week.

Gas powered iPads in them there parts. iPads are actually made from slate.

5 hours ago, BilgePump said:

One of the best things I ever did was to throw out my two TVs at home, about three years ago. Certainly never missed one on the boat. They were a pair of massive Sony CRT things attached to digiboxes that would have probably lasted until the heatdeath of the universe. Took up loads of space for a load of rubbish TV and ads. Friends keep offering me their old but perfectly good tellies, and, although appreciative of the gestures, I do have to explain that I don't miss one or want one at all. That doesn't mean I don't watch stuff at home or on the boats. Certainly able to keep up with breaking news and enjoyed Euro 2020 on the laptop through a mobile hotspot. There is a huge amount of interesting stuff on YouTube, which is where I consume most content. There are music concerts from everyone you can imagine, tons of science and history lectures from international authorities, lots of boats and boatbuilding stuff (been watching a guy in Bulgaria building Proas recently), then and now I'll even dip into a few episodes of Poirot, olds news panel quizzes like Mock the week or stand up comedy (copyright, cough!) but also stuff like RHLSTP where Richard Herring has a guest on for a chat of a comedy bent or Lex Fridman's far more serious, science type interviews. I grew up being asked "Why don't you just turn off the TV set and do something more interesting instead?" Took me decades to act but glad I did.

So, you got rid of your tellies because the programmes were rubbish, and now you watch T.V. programmes on your computer. Is that not the same difference? Are they somehow less rubbishy when thus viewed?

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, you got rid of your tellies because the programmes were rubbish, and now you watch T.V. programmes on your computer. Is that not the same difference? Are they somehow less rubbishy when thus viewed?

He can choose when to watch rubbish now.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

He can choose when to watch rubbish now.

Indeed he can. My Fire TV stick and Roku box (£25 or less each) allow me to do the same without having to use a computer. At home that is, on the boat I watch downloaded iPlayer, Amazon and Netflix programmes on my (much cheaper than a Windows laptop) Chromebook.

Having enjoyed Clarkson's Farm I've now moved on to Harry's Farm. Just as informative, probably more so, but not as entertaining/funny.

2 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Indeed he can. My Fire TV stick and Roku box (£25 or less each) allow me to do the same without having to use a computer. At home that is, on the boat I watch downloaded iPlayer, Amazon and Netflix programmes on my (much cheaper than a Windows laptop) Chromebook.

Having enjoyed Clarkson's Farm I've now moved on to Harry's Farm. Just as informative, probably more so, but not as entertaining/funny.

My comment was, as I am sure you know, tongue in cheek.

The value of the zapper is in that one can turn the tv off, so all of us can choose, without the addition of downloading, paying Amazon or Netflix et cetera.

For our monthly phone/internet/tv package, plus basically free Freesat, we have more options than we could ever want.

Yep. Tons of rubbish available. Plenty of good stuff as well for not much (if any) money. My biggest problem is trying to decide what to watch when there's so much good stuff to choose from.

A cheap Fire or Roku is still worth having (they are often better than the apps on a smart TV) even without subscribing to anything. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The few terrestrial TV progs I mentioned (other than news and Euro) are so old, they're probably ripped from VHS copies. Probably won't be available on iplayer or ITV equivalent, and I won't stumble across them on Freeview in the middle of the night. Only need an internet connection and computer for streaming, not a TV aerial and monolith on the wall/in the corner, to watch 95% of what I watch now. Still pay a TV licence because iplayer for news and a few things and don't need the hassle of not having one, just no subscriptions to Sky, Netflix, Britbox etc etc. 

Edited by BilgePump

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Ah I see, so you pay for a television licence although you haven't got a T.V. Yes, that makes sense.

Sadly, not having an actual television set doesn't exempt someone from needing a TV licence, if they still access BBC content online through iplayer. As said in the previous post, I do still watch a few things through the BBC website/iplayer,  including recent Euro 2020 matches.

Yes, could probably get away with cancelling the licence, with just nagging letters and no real comeback, but it's not something I'm entitled to do. Certainly not a fan of the rule, but it's there and a charge that currently needs factoring into the cost of home.

Still watch some things ripped to YouTube that you could find on TV if you looked, like corny sci-fi movies, Ealing comedies, documentaries, the odd Poirot/Marple plus old Have I got news, Mock the week and QI. However, most of the science/history/comedy/boat things I watch on YouTube have been made for the internet, not TV broadcast, and a lot are self researched/presented/produced.  It's very easy to end up watching random stuff like a public information documentary film from the Marshall Islands about Pacific Canoes/Proas. Fascinating but probably wouldn't find that slotted in a half hour between soaps on one of the UK TV channels.

9 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

, the odd Poirot/Marple plus old Have I got news, Mock the week and QI. 

All those feature in our viewing schedules too. Sometimes we don't realise that they're old episodes until someone mentions Theresa May as Prime Minister of the forthcoming Brexit.

If your strategy works for you, then fine.

58 minutes ago, Athy said:

All those feature in our viewing schedules too. Sometimes we don't realise that they're old episodes until someone mentions Theresa May as Prime Minister of the forthcoming Brexit.

If your strategy works for you, then fine.

And to make us feel really old Have I Got News For You started when Thatcher was still PM,  Sept 1990, two months before she resigned.