What sort of TV programmes do you watch

OldGoat

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

hmm.. never liked it... 

'would I lie to you' is still good... QI is ok but not the same after Fry left... 

Fry is a pompous arse.

Just my opinion of course.

He was great in Black Adder goes Forth but after that.......

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

QI is ok but not the same after Fry left... 

Totally agree they struggle I think for guests on these panel shows as I find most modern so called comedians unfunny particularly James Acaster but he seems everywhere on TV.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Fry is a pompous arse.

But a funny pompous arse

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Fry is a pompous arse.

Just my opinion of course.

He was great in Black Adder goes Forth but after that.......

I don't really care about personality of celebrities, just that I think Fry was a better presenter and Sandy was better as panellist

Edited by restlessnomad

Since we have been on lock down we have taken out a subscription to BritBox and have watched Miss Marple, Poirot, All of Morse, All of Lewis, and are now part way through Shetland.

I thought that we were quite a peacable couple but I am beginning to doubt.

Since being on te boat for the past weeke we have watched nothing.

N

9 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Totally agree they struggle I think for guests on these panel shows as I find most modern so called comedians unfunny particularly James Acaster but he seems everywhere on TV.

But a funny pompous arse

All good comedians are funny when doing the job.

Its when they stray into politics and current affairs outside of their act and take to twitter and the like, they cease to be funny.

Really good comedians never needed to.

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I don't really care about personality of celebrities, just that I think Fry was a better presenter and Sandy was better as panellist

I could never watch it because of the pompous arse presenting it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

8 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

But a funny pompous arse

you take that back

James Acaster and Kevin Bridges are two bright young comedians

Edited by restlessnomad

With real comedians you laugh when they walk on.

You have to let go of the sack.

Ohh they said they were giving me the sack.

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

James Acaster and Kevin Bridges are two bright young comedians

Kevin Bridges yes but never James Acaster

15 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

With real comedians you laugh when they walk on.

You have to let go of the sack.

Ohh they said they were giving me the sack.

Kevin Bridges yes but never James Acaster

guess you like physical comedy more... do you like Lee Evans (cant watch coz the man sweats buckets)

James has weird and wacky sense of humour, kinda unique.

Mcintyre was good wholesome family comedian but am disappointed with 'the big show', not as good.

Stuart lee is annoying (left wing political comedians in general are boring/annoying because they are safe and predictable and not really edgy, not even franky boyle) 

Edited by restlessnomad

With the exception possibly of nb Firesprite, am I the only one who doesn't watch television AT ALL?   The last time I saw a television was in the pub in early March.  We have a telly, but it's out in the caravan.  Mrs Mac goes out there to watch it, and also sometimes watches catch-up programmes on this laptop, but I find it so annoying that I have to go out to the conservatory and close the door.    I did sometimes used to watch television, but realised that it was both mind-rotting and addictive, like drugs, so I stopped.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

With the exception possibly of nb Firesprite, am I the only one who doesn't watch television AT ALL?   The last time I saw a television was in the pub in early March.  We have a telly, but it's out in the caravan.  Mrs Mac goes out there to watch it, and also sometimes watches catch-up programmes on this laptop, but I find it so annoying that I have to go out to the conservatory and close the door.    I did sometimes used to watch television, but realised that it was both mind-rotting and addictive, like drugs, so I stopped.

https://youtu.be/3FQktsKvXcg

Edited by nbfiresprite

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

mind-rotting and addictive

I think that's highly dependent on what and how you watch it. I like to think I've learnt a lot from the things I've watched, or at least been entertained whilst watching them. The same could be said about books, or the Internet, or anything done to excess. 

As much as I love to be out in nature, there's certain things I will never be able to experience first hand, so the productions of the likes of Mr Attenborough and his team are the only way you can ever really get close. 

8 hours ago, Rumsky said:

I think that's highly dependent on what and how you watch it. I like to think I've learnt a lot from the things I've watched, or at least been entertained whilst watching them. The same could be said about books, or the Internet, or anything done to excess. 

As much as I love to be out in nature, there's certain things I will never be able to experience first hand, so the productions of the likes of Mr Attenborough and his team are the only way you can ever really get close. 

Yes,  I agree that there must be a few intelligent, informative programmes, but when I used to occasionally watch them, I found that when they finished, my mind was grabbed by inertia and dross and I eventually woke up to the Open University at 2 AM.    At least reading involves some sort of input, even if just turning the pages, and I am not just being fed other people's idea of what constitutes food for thought.   I agree that the internet can be addictive - Mrs Mac appears to be addicted to Facebook - but I think I've managed to resist that.  It helps to be the sort of person who can't sit down for more than a few minutes without noticing or remembering that something needs DOING.

On 20/07/2020 at 21:16, dor said:

99% of what I watch is non-fiction.  Natural history, archaeology, history etc. Same goes for my BlueRay/DVD collection, nearly all of which are BBC issues, including just about every Attenborough programme back to Life on Earth.

I find most dramas either too depressing or drawn out.  What might make a good two or three part series is dragged out over twelve episodes, presumably to reduce the cost per hour.  Then sequel after sequel, usually two seasons too many.

I’m happy to pay the BBC licence fee; where else can you see the likes of ‘Dynasties’ or Blue Planet II’ in 4K.

And yet some people are happy to pay Sky £40 or £50 a month but complain about the licence fee.

Thats a " choice " thing, people are happy as its their choice to pay Sky whatever they feel they want to or not watch sky. The Beeb Licence fee is " Uniquely funded " and no choice.

14 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

there are a few bbc panel shows I used to like but hate now... 'have I got news for you' and 'mock the week'. 

This are interesting as they have largely turned into party political broadcasts. I've seen Russell Howard live and he is totally different when not on the BBC - when we was on Mock the Week he was continually pushing political views.... maybe they sign something before being allowed on?

47 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

This are interesting as they have largely turned into party political broadcasts. I've seen Russell Howard live and he is totally different when not on the BBC - when we was on Mock the Week he was continually pushing political views.... maybe they sign something before being allowed on?

As far as I can tell, they are generally derogatory, without bias, to all parties - all in an amusing way.

16 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

hmm.. never liked it... 

'would I lie to you' is still good... QI is ok but not the same after Fry left... 

Yes it got better with a decent presenter ;)

16 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

QI is ok but not the same after Fry left... 

Quite so. Sandy Toxteth is a perfectly adequate quizmistress, but she can never even approach the mighty intellect and beaming wit of Stephen Fry, who has been the most consistently entertaining man on T.V. over the last decade or so. It was obvious that he and Alan Davies were good mates, and they way they bounced off each other is also missed.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

As far as I can tell, they are generally derogatory, without bias, to all parties - all in an amusing way.

amusing is a bit of a stretch, boring, repetitive and self congratulatory may be...(hislop and merton)

here is an accurate representation of panel shows... 

Edited by restlessnomad

• 11 months later...

Have just binge watched Clarksons Farm, didn’t mean to watch it all in a day but couldn’t switch it off it was so good.

Not only highly entertaining but learned more about the farming year than I have ever got from watching Countryfile!

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

Having watched quite a few repeats of 'Q.I.' lately - they're on most evenings - I must revise my opinion of Sandy Tostwig. She'll never qute replace Stephen Fry, but she does bring her own personality, intellect and humour to the programme.

We have also been watching repeats of 'Salvage Hunters' and enjoy seeing Drew Pritchard hunting down interesting antiques in old factories, shops and stately homes. We haven't quite worked out why people are keen to pay so much for old work-stools from cotton mills and the like, though.

14 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Have just binge watched Clarksons Farm, didn’t mean to watch it all in a day but couldn’t switch it off it was so good.

Not only highly entertaining but learned more about the farming year than I have ever got from watching Countryfile!

Based purely on this post I thought I'd give this a try last night and watched the first two episodes. I must agree with what TL said and I'm looking forward to continuing with it tonight.

On QI, I was very disappointed when I heard Stephen Fry was leaving but I think his replacement has been excellent.

Would I Lie is still my favourite of all though. I can never quite believe half an hour has gone by when it finishes. 

I also really really like Taskmaster which I've watched from the time it started. There are quite a few series of this now and they are all available on All4, albeit you have to put up with adverts. Worth it though.

• Greenie 2

18 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Have a look at the YouTube channel Harry's Farm.

Harry Metcalfe farms very close to Clarkson. I suspect it's more of an adult watch than Clarkson's program but good viewing.

I do like factual programmes. Especially Forensics, real life crime, where they follow the crime from report to conclusion. Quizzes of most kinds, but things like scripted quizzes like tipping point and chaser. The News can be good to watch but ITV are winning at present.  I don’t particularly like American stuff. Better half watches Emmerdale, I tolerate it.