What sort of TV programmes do you watch

OldGoat

Featured Posts

I only have a short time to pose my question as The Management is kindly concoting some magnificent repast for us both.

People on here have TV wia Aerial, satellite and (what a waste of resources) the internet. But (gr) what do you view?

I personnaly would go spare watching miles of films, but of recent days / months have been strangely attracted to the BBC and other - umm - lesser channels (!).

Some programmes I would gladly have ignored, but The Management has insisted  that we watch topics that I thought boring - yet found the fascinating.

Ms: Worseley for one, folks digging up broken pots for another. So much so that in the last few weeks there has always been something to watch and although the titles were not compelling - in the event they were Quite Interesting.

As indeed was QI itself, although we've been watching the series for years - just ignoring the lavatorial / transsexual bits whre necessary.

We've learnt a lot (good / bad / indifferent recently..

Sooo - what do you guys do - viewing wise???

We mainly watch box sets/YouTube content/Netflix etc. Don't watch any terrestrial scheduled TV so don't have/need a licence - just use catchup services (excl iPlayer). Dropped watching things at scheduled times last year and it freed us up so much!

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

We mainly watch box sets/YouTube content/Netflix etc. Don't watch any terrestrial scheduled TV so don't have/need a licence - just use catchup services (excl iPlayer). Dropped watching things at scheduled times last year and it freed us up so much!

Much the same here, but we do watch some stuff on iPlayer so we do cop for the licence fee.

Some good stuff on Britbox too and Amazon Prime.

Very rarely watch live TV. Mostly stream documentaries, just finished watching Once Upon A Time in Iraq on iPlayer. Occasionally a comedy series, but find it quite difficult finding ones that are actually funny. I think the last one I watched was This Country on BBC. 

Edit: the last one was actually Mister Winner. 

Sometimes a drama, but again I find it difficult to find ones that hold my interest to continue watching the whole series. 

Movies on Netflix or Prime tend to be the more independent cinema type ones, although there's been a few bigger releases I've enjoyed. Went to the cinema 3 times to watch Joker. 

Edited by Rumsky
I lied

99% of what I watch is non-fiction.  Natural history, archaeology, history etc. Same goes for my BlueRay/DVD collection, nearly all of which are BBC issues, including just about every Attenborough programme back to Life on Earth.

I find most dramas either too depressing or drawn out.  What might make a good two or three part series is dragged out over twelve episodes, presumably to reduce the cost per hour.  Then sequel after sequel, usually two seasons too many.

I’m happy to pay the BBC licence fee; where else can you see the likes of ‘Dynasties’ or Blue Planet II’ in 4K.

And yet some people are happy to pay Sky £40 or £50 a month but complain about the licence fee.

• Greenie 1

Thanks thus far, folks

I wasn't fishing for whether or not you had a licence - it was the content I was after.

To me - who grew up with very slow internet over a bit of wet string, t'internet was for 'doing stuff' and that didn't inclued anything 'video'...

14 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Some programmes I would gladly have ignored, but The Management has insisted  that we watch topics that I thought boring - yet found the fascinating.

I'm pleased to see that I'm not alone in having my viewing choices largely decided for me by the Custodian of the Remote Control Device.

Said custodian enjoys Casualty, Holbicity (yes I know but it's a rather pleasing abstract noun), Endeavour, Talking Heads, News at Ten, Vera and Masterchef, all of which I quite like too. She can also absorb, apparently ad infinitum, the 74th re-runs of Star Trek and the interminable adventures of some U.S. police lady called Laura Norder, less so.

If I've been good I'm allowed to watch Today At The Test Match and even the occasional steam (not stream) related programme. On the occasions that sh's run out of re-runs she sometimes finds good historical or concert music programmes which are apparently broadcast by dodgy little channels based in the lesser suburbs of our major cities. 

If we watch TV we usually put a film on. Amazon Prime has a huge range of films.

The odd time we watch something on one of the channels catch up sites it will be a documentary. We have worked our way through most of the Louis Theroux series while under lock down.

We use Amazon Prime to watch films on the boat as well. It allows you to download them onto a tablet to watch when there is little/no internet coverage.

There is the occasional thing on TV that we sometimes watch. I think the last thing we watched as it was broadcast was Friday Night Dinner

I used to watch Grand Prix and Moto GP but the BBC have dumped those for football tennis and snooker, also comedy series when they were funny.   It is becoming harder every year to find anything interesting, maybe because at my age there is not much that seems different.

1 hour ago, JamesFrance said:

It is becoming harder every year to find anything interesting.

It shouldn't be, as programmes from the days when they were interesting are repeated with increasing frequency. We have, for example, recently been enjoying 'Lovejoy', whose last series was made about 25 years ago!

It's perhaps becoming harder to find programmes whose plot or ending one doesn't remember from their previous screenings.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

It's perhaps becoming harder to find programmes whose plot or ending one doesn't remember from their previous screenings.

That should become easier as ones years progress, Shirley? 

3 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

I used to watch Grand Prix and Moto GP but the BBC have dumped those for football tennis and snooker, also comedy series when they were funny.   It is becoming harder every year to find anything interesting, maybe because at my age there is not much that seems different.

If you can get good internet where you are in France and know how to configure a VPN you can get some good retro stuff on Britbox.