North or South From Autherley ?

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Went straight into Bratch bottom lock on arrival yesterday morning. Have just completed the whole S&W in three days and never had to wait behind more than one boat for a lock.

JP

S&W certainly very quiet at the moment. We went Stourport to Autherley and passed very few boats, most of the VMs empty or sparsely populated. Ascended Bratch without seeing another boat.

19 hours ago, OldGoat said:

We've all dived in and put our views but nobody has asked (or mebe I've missed it) - when are you coming over - if at all now as we're still in the midst of some form of lockdown. Indeed there's a strong possibility that some pubs will not re-open or only open at weekends.

Indeed you may be forced to do your own catering! (Yikes...). We prefer to moor somewhere quiet and The Management loves cooking - thus we're not inconvenienced.

As a result we're more attracted to things to do or places to visit and neither of those have been requested or pointed out.

soo - some more feedback would be a help.

For things to do in addition to the towns the south offers the Severn Valley Railway, Kinver Rock Houses and Wightwick Manor. The north has Shugborough Hall (technically accessed from the T&M??) and wherever else you were thinking of when you said it has more places to visit than the south.

The Lock at Wolverley and the Vine at Kinver were both very busy when we passed but likely empty inside. Navigation at Greensforge was open. Black Star at Stourport I believe remains shut. Bird in Hand was passed before opening hours. North side Fox and Anchor at Coven was busy outside.

Best that OP checks internet for Covid restrictions for specific places. We are not planning any pubs but may try the cafe at Fradley today and a pint from the Swan if possible.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

For things to do in addition to the towns the south offers the Severn Valley Railway, Kinver Rock Houses and Wightwick Manor. The north has Shugborough Hall (technically accessed from the T&M??) and wherever else you were thinking of when you said it has more places to visit than the south.

The Lock at Wolverley and the Vine at Kinver were both very busy when we passed but likely empty inside. Navigation at Greensforge was open. Black Star at Stourport I believe remains shut. Bird in Hand was passed before opening hours. North side Fox and Anchor at Coven was busy outside.

Best that OP checks internet for Covid restrictions for specific places. We are not planning any pubs but may try the cafe at Fradley today and a pint from the Swan if possible.

JP

We were in Fradley two weeks ago, The Swan had plenty of spaced out tables outside although I didn't go in for a pint. The cafe by the CRT buildings had a mobile unit outside by their tables and we running a full service with card payment only, apparently they had a fire in the cafe which is why they are using a mobile unit.

16 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Note that the Vine in Kinver (next to the lock) was terrible but has re-opened under new management and seems to be attracting far more customers than under the previous regime. I have heard the food was very good (prior to lockdown) but have not tried it personally.

Also, to avoid the contentious urban images which are being shown above, here are some examples of going South. I leave the choice up to you.

By the way, if you go North, try the bakery in the middle of Penkridge, it's excellent.

image.png.5cd11dfae93886d3ccf60e2a9bf443d3.pngimage.png.618c72bb320e8fd6432c36e058a17a24.pngimage.png.69cd7c4313e1c2d55514d19366e0e85e.pngimage.png.35e540da6bd7471990bc9d770484139e.png

Nice pics.  All from the Nice bit south of Greensforge.  Which proves my point.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Further to the above , can someone identify the attached pic ? its on the website of Countrywide cruisers, and is very much the scene I am hoping to encounter. Its says Stourport ring, so if I have it correctly, it would be too much of a stretch from Brewood in 7 days . However I believe out and back to Worcester has possibilities?

Stourport_Ring3.jpg

5 minutes ago, pomkitanner said:

Hi all. Further to the above , can someone identify the attached pic ? its on the website of Countrywide cruisers, and is very much the scene I am hoping to encounter. Its says Stourport ring, so if I have it correctly, it would be too much of a stretch from Brewood in 7 days . However I believe out and back to Worcester has possibilities?

Stourport_Ring3.jpg

Wolverhampton top lock

41 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

It is indeed Wolverhampton top lock,the photo makes the area look far better than it actually is.Wolverhampton is not a pretty place !

True - a photo doesn't lie, just a we bit economical with the truth. Compared with what's behind the camera position or slightly to the left and right. It's wonderful! It's an oasis in the midst of a tired old town.

If the canal was pretty, pretty all the way down the flight - it would be awfully boring, wouldn't it

3 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

It is indeed Wolverhampton top lock,the photo makes the area look far better than it actually is.Wolverhampton is not a pretty place !

Yes, it took a few moments to realise it was Wolverhampton Top Lock, the photo makes it look very pretty. 
If the camera was panned a few degrees left or right it might not appear so idyllic. 

Edited by Goliath

6 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

1 hour ago, pomkitanner said:

I guess I have to read between the lines , But thanks , I have no desire to attempt 21 locks , with even more to follow .

The Stourport ring would be easily achievable from Brewood in 7 days. However if you don’t want to do 21 locks then you wouldn’t like the 42 in the space of about 5 miles on the Worcs & Bham. However there’s only 3 locks on the 20+ miles between them.