Coventry Canal Towpath get Facelift (starting today)

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

0_PM2365047.jpg

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-canal-towpaths-makover-work-18612652

A newly launched project will see towpaths along the Coventry canal improved - starting today.

It’s part of a scheme to enhance three West Midlands open spaces, including Tipton, Willenhall and Foleshill.

In Foleshill there will be a makeover for the canal towpath to make it safer to walk along, and more accessible for wheelchairs and pushchairs.

The revamp will include widening the towpath in places, cutting back the overgrown trees and bushes and resurfacing the towpath.

The towpath will be closed temporarily in phases so that people can still enjoy the scenic walk as works are carried out.

The first phase begins today (July 20) near Hawkesbury and will last for one month.

A recent survey by the West Midlands Combined Authority found a 40 per cent increase in cycling to work and walking to shops in Coventry during the recent lockdown period.

A huge 47% expect to walk more than they did before Covid-19, and 17% expect to cycle more.

Plans will build on earlier improvements from Canal Basin to Leicester Causeway and will continue to Sutton Stop.

Another towpath covered in boater unfriendly gravel no doubt.

I hate the stuff as when it is wet it gets embedded in your ropes and it sticks in the tread of my boots then scratches the paintwork when I step on the boat.

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Another towpath covered in boater unfriendly gravel no doubt.

I hate the stuff as when it is wet it gets embedded in your ropes and it sticks in the tread of my boots then scratches the paintwork when I step on the boat.

Didn't stick to the boatman's clogs.

Its horrid if you fall on it, my knees are still sore with bits of gravel stuck in.

TD'

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

What about all the rubbish on the Coventry in that area, it is never going to be pleasant no matter what you do unless you address that.

How would that never ending task be addressed, aside from moving every potential litter lout in Coventry to Nuneaton. 

52 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

How would that never ending task be addressed, aside from moving every potential litter lout in Coventry to Nuneaton. 

The stretch thorough Nuneaton was clear of rubbish when we came through a couple of weeks ago, we were quite surprised.

27 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The stretch thorough Nuneaton was clear of rubbish when we came through a couple of weeks ago, we were quite surprised.

I think the Nuneaton rubbish is seasonal, sometimes its full of TVs and suites, next time its lovely with no rubbish. Most odd people living there, do they not have a tip or recycling thingy?

TD'

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think the Nuneaton rubbish is seasonal, sometimes its full of TVs and suites, next time its lovely with no rubbish. Most odd people living there, do they not have a tip or recycling thingy?

TD'

Yes, its right next to the canal by bridge 23a..

Guess some people miss though..

3 hours ago, Rumsky said:

This seemed to be talking about Foleshill, ie on the section from Hawkesbury to the centre of Coventry, and it was that which I was referring to.  Never noticed the Neneaton particularly has a rubish problem, but Cov does..  Things like bins would do a start but I would agree that it is tough to solve, but other cities do better than Coventry.  So to me that would be a priority as there until you do that it is an unpleasant place to be irrespective of the surface.